Pain medicine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Min-Min actually did fine without the pain medication.

The vet did finally call us and said we could bring him in tomorrow morning. My dad doesn’t want the CT scan done because our bunny has improved a lot and he might die while being sedated for the scan. I feel like it needs to be done to see all the damage and how it could heal, but am also afraid about the same thing…
It's only a slight sedation for the scan, not something to worry about.

He made it through the cat scan well and we have the results.

Min-Min has a symphyseal fracture (incisor separation) to his lower jaw which is why his lower teeth looked misaligned. He also had two fracture lines in his left jaw bone (no broken back teeth). The doctor is not worried about the fracture lines because his jaw bones should hold those together while they heal.

For the incisor separation there were two options. The vet first told us the one she was “required to mention” since their vet hospital is an “innovator and advancer in medical technology (and in magazines and stuff).” The second is one my dad asked about and the one we went with.

First- He’d need surgery and would have a wire keeping his incisors perfectly aligned but they’d be sticking out and kept in for at least 3 weeks. He’d have an attachment between his shoulder blades to keep the alignment, a tube up his nose, and the thing between his should blades would also allow for a daily injection of pain medication. (I heard it second hand from my dad so am not sure if I’m reporting it exactly right but did hear “wires in jaw, tube in nose, shoulder, and daily injection in the phone conversation”).

The doctor also said even as an exotic vet she has never actually performed this surgery. If we did it with our bunny, he’d be the “pioneer,” first rabbit to ever go through that surgery since it’s a “new innovation.”

Second- My dad asked if we could take him home, keep him on pain medication, and take the ‘wait and see’ approach. He asked the vet what bad case scenario would happen if the teeth healed misaligned and she said they might have to do surgery and remove the bottom teeth. She went on to say many rabbits can live without bottom teeth since they adapt.

We decided on the second (no need for our bunny to pioneer medical technology).

We have taken him home, we’re given pain medication, anti-inflammatory, and more critical care. A veterinary compounding pharmacy will call us tomorrow since they are making an antibiotic for us to help prevent an infection. We are buying a pet scale to monitor his weight and will be bringing him in for weekly checkups so the vets can check his teeth and general health.

He was happy to be home when we got back tonight

I think I would have went with option 2 as well.
From your updates it's seems that he has been healing well already without medical intervention. What a freak accident.
I'm so happy that he's a strong survivor.
Keep us updated.

Just realized I forgot to give an update.

He had a doctors appointment the following Friday (28th). Before the appointment we found out the gabapentin was too high a dose (made him completely inactive/no appetite which lasted 9 hours) so we opted not to give it to him. Gave him the other pain med (which didn’t sedate him/or make him lose his appetite), antibiotic, and meloxicam and his critical care.

At the doctors appointment we met with the other exotics vet (ours was out of town). Our bunny had actually gained a bit of weight from when he was last weighed there. She checked his mouth and said they’re was a bit a of pus from infection but she wasn’t worried. She also said it was okay to halve the gabapentin if it has too much of an effect. (We never resumed giving it to him since he was fine on the other and didn’t seem to need the second one).

About one week ago, Min Min decided he was done with being forcefed the pain medicine.Then two days later he decided the same about the critical care and antibiotics. Meloxicam is the only one he likes. (We’re still trying to create ways to get him to have the antibiotic, spreading it on random items.) Thankfully at the same time, he was eating pellets that were closer to normal size and he was attempting to eat hay more so we felt it was okay to stop giving critical care. He was also finally drinking from his water bowl and water bottle again.

Now, seems almost back to normal! He eats regular pellets (doesn’t need to be crushed) and eats his hay (eating the especially long strands too). We have witnessed him doing several full jaw yawns after stretches the last couple days and it’s awesome to see again!

He has another follow up appointment on the 15th so I’ll give another update after that.
807877A5-4545-4F21-98E4-7868C3F940C3.jpeg

We took him to the vet appointment and our doctor looked him over. She says that he's healing as well as she could have hoped.

He may have a slight malocclusion of his front teeth in the future from the way it is healing. His upper incisors are a little overworn (where he was overcompensating) while his lower incisors are getting just a bit overgrown (since a lower mandible was where the breaks happened). He will be on antibiotics for another two weeks and meloxicam every other day now till his next follow-up appointment in a month. At that appointment he might need his front incisors ground down a bit but the extra month will give his jaw more time to heal. The vet never mentioned removing his incisors so I don't think he will need to have that done.

He is still as active as ever, ripping up a paper bag as I type this! 😁

Last edited:
The doctor called because he found out they are too short staffed and cannot due the CT scan tomorrow. Apparently the doctor who was going to check him was exposed to covid. The hospital called a bunch of other hospitals around the area and none can do the scan either since they’re all booked and short staffed.

Min-Min apparently hasn’t been eating at the vets office with a syringe so they’ve been giving him nutrition through ivs or something. The earliest they can now do the cat scan is Monday. They’re going to keep trying to feed him and will give us an update in the morning.

At the moment, my family thinks the best course of action will probably be to bring him home with pain medication and try to feed him in a place he’s comfortable with people he knows. We would bring him back to Bulger veterinary hospital on Monday for the CT scan. The alternative would be to leave him at the emergency vets for the weekend when they may not be able to syringe feed him either meanwhile we’ll be incurring thousands more since he’s under 24hour care.

2022 is not turning out to be a good year
You could try Syringe feed him Oxbow’s “critical Care” it’s a liquified food for rabbits

Would bring MinMin home until the CT scan. You can keep a better eye on MinMin and he will likely be more comfortable at home. Am wishing the best for him and am sorry you are having such a hard time. Will Min Min eat wheat grass or any other preferred food if hand fed?

You could try Syringe feed him Oxbow’s “critical Care” it’s a liquified food for rabbits

Would bring MinMin home until the CT scan. You can keep a better eye on MinMin and he will likely be more comfortable at home. Am wishing the best for him and am sorry you are having such a hard time. Will Min Min eat wheat grass or any other preferred food if hand fed?
Don't forget to check dates on posts before posting. This thread was resolved 5 months ago.

Moonshadow already posted that MinMin... "Now, seems almost back to normal! He eats regular pellets (doesn’t need to be crushed) and eats his hay (eating the especially long strands too). We have witnessed him doing several full jaw yawns after stretches the last couple days and it’s awesome to see again!" (The scan was completed in January.)

Thanks for your concern and advice @FunBunMom and @cwebster. I forgot to give an update.

At this point, I’m happy to report Min-Min has pretty much completely recovered from his broken jaw. His upper teeth are slightly overworn and lower front teeth are a bit long but they’ve stayed the same length for multiple vet visits and the doctor has made no mention of them needing to be ground down.

Originally as his jaw was healing, his front teeth began to wear down at an angle of around 5 degrees (left side was higher)but I’ve been checking it pretty regularly and the angle now seems to closer to 2 degrees so I think his healthy appetite, regular jaw movement, and hay consumption are really helping to get his teeth closer to 180 degrees of normal bunny teeth. Min-Min has no trouble chewing pellets, hay, or even wood and cardboard now. Also at his latest check-up the vet also mentioned she could feel a bridge of bone growing back where his lower incisors had originally split and she was really happy about that.

As far as how he acts, Min-Min has been back to his mischievous self for months. He acts like he never broke his jaw, resting during the day and causing mayhem at night~

714B220C-4539-4E6C-8EA4-2656099F13CD.jpeg1BDA3BB7-4BF1-4108-AD89-EE0B9C6DA005.jpeg

Thought I’d give a final update.

Min-Min had a check up appointment this past Tuesday for another teeth/jaw check, this was five months from last appointment (appointment checks have been lengthening month-wise, first every month, then 3 months, then five). My vet actually had a vet intern try examining him since he was a semi-normal bun compared to the usual sick, injured ones that she usually sees in the emergency. Min-Min charmed them both as usual.

The intern had a bit of trouble checking inside Min-Min’s mouth with the light scope instrument though he was bunny burritoed so Dr. Li helped her keep him still. According to the intern, his front teeth and back teeth looked perfectly even like a normal bunny so Dr. Li checked next and agreed! At the last appointment his teeth were still a bit uneven (the front ones and back grinding ones) though nothing to worry about as long as we watched it. Apparently in the last five months, Min-Min’s continuous hay eating and chewing of wood, cardboard, and paper have completely corrected his teeth!

Dr. Li told us that our bun is the only rabbit she has had who didn’t have his teeth/jaw wired to correct the alignment. She told us she never would have expected this outcome was possible, that his teeth would go completely back to normal with his jaw naturally finding it’s own alignment. In the end, she says we no longer have to do checkups so often and can do just an annual checkup!

Guess we made the right decision on not going through surgery and just using meloxicam to manage his pain after his broken jaw injury! 😁

Here’s two photos of our bun chewing one his wood sticks:
48AD74C3-4867-45C2-B508-DE4177BF7CA5.jpeg9486EE5A-7339-4694-A748-7ADDF8D9584E.jpeg

Latest posts

Back