Oxbow Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tori

Reaction score
My pet store has thankfully started to carry Oxbow hay so I plan to start getting that after we finish up what I have left. I was wondering what kind you all get, or should I switch it up whenever I get some since they like to have a varity? Thanks for any responses!

I feed unlimted Timothy Hay (Which I get great fresh supply for $5 for a huge bag...)
And for variety, I give Brome Grass and Orchard Grass (I think its also called "meadow grass" and I believe Oxbow calls it Botanical hay),
Bermuda Grass (Which is pretty dumb since all Western States use Bermuda-a weed-as grass because its hardy. So I pay for the grass in my backyard)
and very very small amounts of alfalfa since my pellet is alfalfa based.
I say "Variety" since its $5 a bag, I only get it once and while.

Rabbits should be fed a variety of grass hays and a limited amount of alfalfa. Different types of hay and different cuts of hay will promote a more natural type foraging behavior. And hay is the primary way of keeping the teeth worn down. Each type of hay requires a different chewing motion and that promotes good dental health. And you already know of the importance of hay for the digestive system.

I would also suggest not resticting your hay options only to Oxbow. There are other hays that are equal, or in many cases superior, to Oxbow. Two hays I use are Sweet Meadow Farm out of New England (www.sweetmeadowfarm.com) and Bunny Bale out of Virginia (www.bunnybale.com) . I also use variety of locally available horse quality hay and I have foundall of it at least as good a quality as Oxbow at a fraction of the price and my rabbits love the local hay. Any hay that is safe for a horse is safe for a rabbit.

Randy

Latest posts

Back