Oxbow Hay Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*nepo*

Reaction score
I found Oxbow Hay pellets ata petstore. Should I use alfalfa pellets or timothy pellets? Or shouldI just stick to my normal Kaytee pellets along with timothyhay?

Thanks!:)

Alfalfa hay is much higher in fat I believe....Ieven tried the compressed pellets myself and the girls seemed to quiteenjoy the timothy hay ones (until I finally got them a hay rack, whichthey like even better!)

Cher

Cher wrote:
Alfalfahay is much higher in fat I believe....I even tried the compressedpellets myself and the girls seemed to quite enjoy the timothy hay ones(until I finally got them a hay rack, which they like even better!)

Cher

The alfalfa hay (and pellets)are much higher in mineralsincluding calcium. Good for growing or breeding rabbits, butthe timothy pellets are better for mature pet rabbits.

Pam

*nepo* wrote:
He is 9 months old. So I guess I should get timothy hay pellets?

P.S Fergi, what do you mean a gradual switch?
You need to slowly mix in the new food with the old, the first day justa small hand of the new pellets mixed with the old. As the week goes oncontinue to add in the new and decrease the old food. This ensures thatyour bun has time to adjust to the new food, they have pretty sensitivedigestive systems.

Fergi's mom

Yes, Nepo, gradually switch them (I think the baghas directions ... if not.. then it's on their website) Ijust switched Bo from Alfalfa to Timothy cause he's 7 mosold. Funny, he likes the Timothy better...

ALSO.... Check the fresh date on the bag. I was in a storethe other day who carries Oxbow, and all the bags were out ofdate. :X

Thanks for all your tips anddirections.:)But I won't be buying the Oxbow hay pelletsyetbecause Nepo has a really big bag of his old Kayteepellets, so when he needs food I'll buy the Oxbow. I still want to findthe Oxbow hay.

Get him the oxbow pellets when you still have some of the Kaytee ones. I used those first also!

Talk to the petstore who carries the pellets and see if they will order oxbow hay too?

Also, you can order oxbow online and have it shipped directly to you :)

Should I get the Oxbowpellets when I have a 5lb bag of Kaytee pellets? Sounds likea good idea to ask the petstore if they can order Oxbow hay, I'll tryit when I go there. I can't try the internet thing because my daddoesn't like buying stuff from the intrernet.

I would get them when you have about a pound orso left... you can mix half and half for awhile then slowly take itfurther down til you run out of the kaytee.

Bo wouldn't touch the oxbow at first, now he goes NUTS! he loves themso much! He hears his pellet bag and shakes his ears and stands upwaiting.... then he about tramples me getting to his bowl LOL!

Bo's done that too. I call him a doofuswhen he does stuff like that. I can't get angry at him.. he'stoo cute LOL!

They get so excited about food they like... you'd think they were as big as a horse! :p

When I switched to Oxbow from the flavoredcolored crud...don't remember what brand.... it took a while for Elf toreally enjoy eating it.

The positives are that...

#1 she never wanted treats before because she was getting all her sugarin her regular food. Now she'll beg for her craisins :) (and I don'toverindulge)

#2 her fur is soooo much more smooth and soft and thick...I had to puther on some cheap grocery-store brand stuff for a few weeks when I waslow on cash, and could see the difference in her coat quickly!

We'll never go back! hehe

Elf Mommy wrote:
When I switched to Oxbow from the flavored coloredcrud...don't remember what brand.... it took a while for Elf to reallyenjoy eating it.

The positives are that...

#1 she never wanted treats before because she was getting all her sugarin her regular food. Now she'll beg for her craisins :) (and I don'toverindulge)

#2 her fur is soooo much more smooth and soft and thick...I had to puther on some cheap grocery-store brand stuff for a few weeks when I waslow on cash, and could see the difference in her coat quickly!

We'll never go back! hehe
Those are great reasons and so true! Bo was switched fairlyearly on, but I saw a change in his eating, and his coat isTHICK! It's also shiney in certain areas and light.

He loves his Pewwets :) God I baby-talk that little goob all the time! :p

Oh how I wish I could use Oxbow. They don't sellit here and I have the same problem with my parents not wanting toorder online. So I'm stuck with the best stuff they have here and it'snot great but at least it isnt the sugary stuff.

You know you're a bunny person when you wish for Oxbow pellets for the bunnies!

You know, you could probably phone an order orsomething. Maybe send a check with an order to them and thenthey ship it?? Check their website.

Also, with reputable companies, it's not a big worry orderingonline. You just don't let the computer save your informationon the hard drive..

I have done TONS of online ordering, also used ebay, and I do some of my accounts payable on here as well....

I know, but my parents refuse to.

Being 16, I cannot write a check.

I've got all these pellets I have to use up first, then maybe I can con my parents into it.

Latest posts

Back