Owning a hare type rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
I have never had a hare type rabbit, but I'm guessing that much like any kind of pet rabbit, it's more about the quality of the environment than whether it's indoors or outdoors. Whichever alternative allows you to offer more space (that's safe from predators, of course) and more interesting things to interact with is probably what the rabbit would prefer.

Rabbits are extremely intelligent, easily bored and appreciate things that pique their curiosity or give them something to do... Whether it's some sort of dig pool or box filled with either paper or dirt (whichever one they're less inclined to pee in), cardboard boxes to chew doorways into as their architectural preferences see fit or various other things they can chew, toss, destroy, dig, etc., It's the entertaining little nuances of their environment that make them happy.

I've had both belgian hares and britannia petites. If you were doing for a pet I'd definitely recommend belgian hare out of the two, the smaller britannias can get aggressive and make fairly poor pet. Belgian hares are beautiful rabbits. Very intelligent, energetic, playful. They can also be a bit more flighty in certain situations (mine didn't like certain noises, or plastic bags). Not so much cuddly but quick to learn and fun to watch. They are strong, fast, and fragile; if you're not extremely comfortable handling you might want to consider that. Overall, a lot of personality. They're also not as hardy as other breeds (at least not the ones in the US) so you might want to keep it indoors. They're more common in the UK than US; Im not sure about other places, but in the US they are usually relatively expensive. If I were to pick one rabbit to have just as a house pet (other than a Himalayan, of course ;) ) it would be a Belgian Hare. Such striking rabbits, and such personality. Unfortunately they're a pain to breed (half the time my Himalayans would raise the hare babies because they were poor mothers) so I've stopped keeping them.

Aha, Belgian hare are not common but at least there are some breeders. I truly like their lanky body and structure, they are beautiful.

I would love to have one indoor living with me, but don’t truly now if they would be really destructive. Because they seem to be a breed with a lot of energy. I have no problem handling bunnies, only problem comes to claw trimming but that’s only because my rabbits are used with two people handling them and not one.

Not after a cuddle bun, because I already have cuddle bunnies which me as a couch potatoes can just cuddle with any time I want.

I’ll just have to search for close by breeders and plan when I will get a kit.

But it will have to wait for a year or two [emoji4]

We have a belgian hare and a somewhat prototype of a mini hare! (Hare x Marron de Lorraine). Our full hare, Beau, lives in his own shed outdoors but he is highly social and I know many people that have their hares indoors. They are highly intelligent and active but they can be quite hard work in the beginning! It's very important to spend alot of time with them and desensitizing them to their environment - they can be very skittish and react quickly to odd sounds and new things. They can get sent into a running fit and it's not uncommon for them to pick up injuries due to this. I know of one who broke her back during a thunderstorm. Their skittishness generally improves over time. Beau is completely used to us and rarely reacts any more, however a new voice or noise can easily make him nervous.

They're an incredible rabbit, but not a breed to be taken lightly I don't think.

We have a belgian hare and a somewhat prototype of a mini hare! (Hare x Marron de Lorraine). Our full hare, Beau, lives in his own shed outdoors but he is highly social and I know many people that have their hares indoors. They are highly intelligent and active but they can be quite hard work in the beginning! It's very important to spend alot of time with them and desensitizing them to their environment - they can be very skittish and react quickly to odd sounds and new things. They can get sent into a running fit and it's not uncommon for them to pick up injuries due to this. I know of one who broke her back during a thunderstorm. Their skittishness generally improves over time. Beau is completely used to us and rarely reacts any more, however a new voice or noise can easily make him nervous.

They're an incredible rabbit, but not a breed to be taken lightly I don't think.

How skittish can they be, myself already own a really skittish bunny that get easily scared because he have bad sight and not the best experience. Are they as skittish getting scared of moving shadows, sounds and fast movements or it will just be sounds.

When I get my bunnies first time, they often will live indoors the first months. So they get used with people around them, get a lot of interaction and different sounds. All my rabbits I have aren’t scared of fireworks because they are used with sudden sounds.

I’m a huge fan of sci fi and action movies, so my bunnies got used with explosions sounds from the speakers in the room (surround system).

3F24EB35-E650-4FFE-BF0B-C8B514218D52.jpeg He was very skittish at first, you had to constantly talk when approaching his hutch so you didn’t give him a fright. He settled right down after a few weeks. I know of many hares that are house based so I am sure they get used to house noises quickly. He is the most lovely, cuddly, attention seeking animal. Look up Fiver and Rey on Facebook - they’re two House hares! This is my boy

View attachment 40573 He was very skittish at first, you had to constantly talk when approaching his hutch so you didn’t give him a fright. He settled right down after a few weeks. I know of many hares that are house based so I am sure they get used to house noises quickly. He is the most lovely, cuddly, attention seeking animal. Look up Fiver and Rey on Facebook - they’re two House hares! This is my boy

Thanks for the information and he’s soooo cute [emoji7]

Then it won’t be a problem, I’ve had two really skittish bunnies. One is now a really outgoing bunny that loves people, the once skittish bunny no longer exists while the still skittish bunny are no longer scared of sounds but still a bit scared of people, a slow working process.

So I should be able to make a Belgian hare tame and be used with everyday life, I’ve got a lot of patience and often good at reading the sings of my rabbits.

So the next bunny in the household will be a Belgian hare doe.

How old can they get, because they are on the lager side of bunny breed and often larger breed dosen’t get as old as the smaller breeds. Or do they live nearly as long ?

I think their lifespan is generally inkeeping with other buns, but not 100% sure. I think they are probably more prone to injuries which might affect that lol. I'd recommend going to a reputable breeder to make sure you are also getting a genetically sound rabbit. They can definitely become desensitized, we just keep an eye on him when new people or new things are around. They're very social rabbits so I am sure your new hare will have a fabulous time! We love ours to bits!

I think their lifespan is generally inkeeping with other buns, but not 100% sure. I think they are probably more prone to injuries which might affect that lol. I'd recommend going to a reputable breeder to make sure you are also getting a genetically sound rabbit. They can definitely become desensitized, we just keep an eye on him when new people or new things are around. They're very social rabbits so I am sure your new hare will have a fabulous time! We love ours to bits!

Thanks for answering my questions [emoji5]

There is something captivating about Belgian Hares. I see them advertised now and then by breeders, but I am in UK. I would love one myself, but circumstances aren't right for one just yet. I am also a person of endless patience when it comes to animals. With people, not so much!

Is it best to have Belgian Hares together with other Belgian Hares? Or are there other rabbit breeds they are particularly compatible with? Or incompatible with? Just curious...

I have a male Belgian hare cross and a lop who I'm trying to bond at the mo, it would go better if he stopped mounting her so much , but as far as I'm aware they can be bonded with other breeds perfectly fine . I'm also in the process of rescuing a white female Belgian hare. I'm hoping in the future I'll be able to have them as a trio. I love the breed it's definitely my favourite, they're so intelligent too! Mine are outdoors because they're so mischievous, he was pulling my wall paper off at 12weeks old I also follow fiver and Rey on FB they live nearby

Latest posts

Back