Owner of 2 mini rabbits in need of Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

I just found out I don’t have 2 male rabbits as I thought in the first place. Rex is a male and Minor (dark rabbit) is a female. Maybe someone with experience here can explain me what that means for us going forward as I am quite at shock right now.

Actually this might be advantageous. Once they are neutered and spayed, bonding will be alot easier.

Hi everyone,

I just found out I don’t have 2 male rabbits as I thought in the first place. Rex is a male and Minor (dark rabbit) is a female. Maybe someone with experience here can explain me what that means for us going forward as I am quite at shock right now.
Have they been neutered now? You're very lucky you haven't ended up with a litter! If not neutered yet, get that done ASAP, then wait 8 weeks before reintroducing them in neutral territory.

I have picked them up from the clinic this afternoon and the lady there told Minor is a girl, even though in the passport it says she's a boy. That's also why she had to charge more than was initially agreed.

She explained to me how it's difficult to tell the right gender when they are small and that this happens sometimes but I was still very much surprised.

What is strange is that I remember Minor trying to mate on top of Rex once recently before I separated them, is that normal if Minor's a girl? Where would he have these instincts from?

With litter I am guessing you mean pregnancy? I guess if Minor was to be pregnant, the procedure she went through yesterday would have included an abortion?

Anyways, as I am getting used to this new reality I wanted to ask, when would be a good time to introduce them to their new houses I bought? I guess I'd better observe their litter-box behaviour in the next few days first.

How are they doing after the vet visits? Please keep an eye on them to make sure that they eat, drink and use the litter box within 8-12 hours. Look for signs of discomfort etc.
It's likely she wasn't pregnant, the vet would have mentioned it following the spay operation.

Mounting is normal, it's to assert dominance and claim territory.

You can introduce them each to the homes you bought, no need to keep it away in my opinion. But I hope that they're separated during this recovery time. Bonding shouldn't begin until 6-8 weeks from now.

They are hardly moving but their eyes are open... actually I must say that I still haven't encountered them fully sleeping ever since I got them. Must be them being very alert to sound and waking up when I'm approaching. There was this one time I was with them for a while and Minor's head was dropping every few seconds for a couple of minutes. That was super sweet :)

They are reacting ok to food, I gave them some vegetables which they ate ok. Now I refreshed their hay and gave them their dinner pellets which they are eating with pleasure.

Regarding the poop, it is of a darker color now and Minor's is all over the place. Rex seems to have pooped very little since he got home but I will check in his litter-box later tonight.

Will wait with their new homes until tomorrow and yes they are in separated pens and will stay this way for the next 6-8 weeks as you guys suggested.

Thank you!!

I have picked them up from the clinic this afternoon and the lady there told Minor is a girl, even though in the passport it says she's a boy. That's also why she had to charge more than was initially agreed.

She explained to me how it's difficult to tell the right gender when they are small and that this happens sometimes but I was still very much surprised.

What is strange is that I remember Minor trying to mate on top of Rex once recently before I separated them, is that normal if Minor's a girl? Where would he have these instincts from?

With litter I am guessing you mean pregnancy? I guess if Minor was to be pregnant, the procedure she went through yesterday would have included an abortion?

Anyways, as I am getting used to this new reality I wanted to ask, when would be a good time to introduce them to their new houses I bought? I guess I'd better observe their litter-box behaviour in the next few days first.
Yes, it's normal, humping is dominance behaviour. I expect you'll see more of that when you eventually start bonding them. Well done getting them neutered! Yes, if she had been pregnant it would have been an abortion but I'm sure the vet would have mentioned it. I would put the houses in, just watch them for a while. Are they wooden houses?

Great that they are eating and using their litter box.
Keep an eye on them to make sure they're not in pain.
Remove any high objects, they shouldn't be tempted to jump or climb during this time.
Ensure that none of them lick or pick at the stitches.

Good luck!

Yes, it's normal, humping is dominance behaviour. I expect you'll see more of that when you eventually start bonding them. Well done getting them neutered! Yes, if she had been pregnant it would have been an abortion but I'm sure the vet would have mentioned it. I would put the houses in, just watch them for a while. Are they wooden houses?

They are so very sleepy at the moment that's afraid they will hardly react on them so I'll just wait until tomorrow and hope for some happy reaction :) Also I am expecting the the remaining puzzle mattes tomorrow to complete all their pen area with it... Will surely upload pictures once it's complete! So excited about finally having happy bunnies soon!!!

Thanks for your response. I already got them the a cat sized litter-box and the whole procedure became much less discomforting :)

That's the one I got in case you're interested:

https://4lapy.ru/catalog/koshki/tua..._sredniy_45h35h10_sm_1003722.html?offer=97940
Yesterday when visiting the website of the breeder from where I got my bunnies I saw that she also offers a very original solution for the litter-box. It's good in terms that the hay is separated from the litter area. But I am very much ok with my current solution.

https://tsarskiykrolik.com/product/senniklotok/

Hello!
This is where we’re at this evening. Will add some more toys in the near future and once they are well bonded in a couple of months, this will come one big playpen they will both hopefully share.
Anything I should add for the time being? Please let me know if I missed something :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 16
Hello!
This is where we’re at this evening. Will add some more toys in the near future and once they are well bonded in a couple of months, this will come one big playpen they will both hopefully share.
Anything I should add for the time being? Please let me know if I missed something :)
Good effort. Put the tunnel the other way so it has two exits. The little house should have two exits too. What did you get for the floor? Have they chewed it yet?

This is a significant improvement. Thrilled to see they are fine after the operations. I was also going to suggest you move the tunnel so the rabbit can run through. I see you're likely using it as a hidey area now, maybe when you have them in a single enclosure you can do this.

Good effort. Put the tunnel the other way so it has two exits. The little house should have two exits too. What did you get for the floor? Have they chewed it yet?

the tunnel is actually a house like the rectangle one and they both only have entrance/exit… the pet shop didn’t have houses with 2 exits :(

should I try and cut additional wholes in both of them houses? How important is it to have them?

the floor is those puzzle mattes. Seems like an ok solution for now but let’s see

the tunnel is actually a house like the rectangle one and they both only have entrance/exit… the pet shop didn’t have houses with 2 exits :(

should I try and cut additional wholes in both of them houses? How important is it to have them?

the floor is those puzzle mattes. Seems like an ok solution for now but let’s see
I would try to cut out an additional exit, yes. Most bunnies don't like going into a space with only one exit - for obvious reasons.

Will do. Thx)

Someone wrote here something about adding blankets… should I? What are they for?

Came home this evening and thought I’d bring one of my bunnies downstairs to be with me in the kitchen while I’m cooking.

So I went upstairs into Rex’s pen and picked him up in my hands, he pushed himself out of them and then I picked him up one more time but I saw in his eyes that he is not comfortable so I put him back on the floor and tried Minor but as he went straight to hide inside his tunnel I dropped the idea.

How often do you guys pick your bunnies up in your hands and in what situations?

You don't pick up a rabbit, most don't like this. Only some rabbits are comfortable with this, and it takes time to build that sort of trust. Also, they just had operations and they are still healing. Moving them and handling them is a bad idea. Leave them be.

Latest posts

Back