Owner of 2 mini rabbits in need of Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also once I separate them, where should I put hay in the outside area? Just on the floor? I guess if I put in some box the bunny will take it for the litter box, right?

Since they like peeing on those I would cut them up and put them in the litter boxes, with some wood pellets underneath to absorb the urine. If they aren't too thick, or use them in new, bigger litter boxes. Might help getting them used to those.

Nice!!)

I use some sort of hay rack, hay on the floor gets soiled easily and is rather wasteful and messy.

There are a lot of solutions for that, like boxes with holes, wire racks etc. - there are threads with pictures of indoor setups where you can find inspiration. Use the search term "indoor cages", select "Search titles only" and browse through the yearly threads :), like:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2020-indoor-cages-add-your-photo.96731/
I also recommend buying hay in bales, so there is no worry about them wasting it :D

Also search "Hay rack", select "Search titles only", lots of ideas.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/hay-feeder-alternative.97116/

One more thing is cleaning their litterbox which is the worst part in the whole thing for me because of the stinch! Are there any recommendations to make the process more human friendly?

so taking into account some of the great advice I got from you good people here is where I am right now.

I still can’t separate them because I only have one water bowl. Unless I have one of them drink from the bottle… will decide this evening.

Seems like they have some competition on who is sitting/laying down on the adjusted red litterbox.

Attachments

• 8CB57E13-2D44-4713-8419-002F110E1177.jpeg
    8CB57E13-2D44-4713-8419-002F110E1177.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DA44F006-0438-47A7-B555-72F4B046BA59.jpeg
    DA44F006-0438-47A7-B555-72F4B046BA59.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 7
Came home after a couple of hour out

Attachments

• 06454224-555A-41A2-BDF9-666ECED81141.jpeg
    06454224-555A-41A2-BDF9-666ECED81141.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 805439DF-E22C-4EB5-B9AE-212319D32960.jpeg
    805439DF-E22C-4EB5-B9AE-212319D32960.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 18
Yes?

You're saying that like, hm, like when a dog misbehaves. That's not what's happening here. You have two juvenile males, full of energy and drive, and when you give them an opportunity and they have nothing else to do, they dig. They are rabbits. It's an instinct. At this age I can tell males and females apart by the way they dig. You can't train that out of them. They are not misbehaving.
What helped me to accept that there is quite a lot going on in those little heads was the book "Watership Down", yes, it's just fiction, but imho a good read for every rabbit owner.

What I noticed is that their enclosure is rather bleak, I would add stuff like cardboard boxes with holes to hide in or to destroy, tree branches to gnaw on, rolls with hay in it they have to chase to get the hay. Imo, those dug out litter boxes are a sign that they are somewhat bored.
It might get better with being neutered and with age, right now you're dealing with teenagers.

Also, as already mentioned, the litter box setup might not be ideal, too small, with the litter not covered, I reckon that'll take some days to address.

There's also the flooring, not all rabbits don't mind slick flooring, so they don't really use that space. I think apart from rugs, vinyl flooring, somewhat structured, is a good base. Also easy to clean.

Yes?

You're saying that like, hm, like when a dog misbehaves. That's not what's happening here. You have two juvenile males, full of energy and drive, and when you give them an opportunity and they have nothing else to do, they dig. They are rabbits. It's an instinct. At this age I can tell males and females apart by the way they dig. You can't train that out of them. They are not misbehaving.
What helped me to accept that there is quite a lot going on in those little heads was the book "Watership Down", yes, it's just fiction, but imho a good read for every rabbit owner.

What I noticed is that their enclosure is rather bleak, I would add stuff like cardboard boxes with holes to hide in or to destroy, tree branches to gnaw on, rolls with hay in it they have to chase to get the hay. Imo, those dug out litter boxes are a sign that they are somewhat bored.
It might get better with being neutered and with age, right now you're dealing with teenagers.

Also, as already mentioned, the litter box setup might not be ideal, too small, with the litter not covered, I reckon that'll take some days to address.

There's also the flooring, not all rabbits don't mind slick flooring, so they don't really use that space. I think apart from rugs, vinyl flooring, somewhat structured, is a good base. Also easy to clean.

I actually posted the pictures in a good sense that there is no more poop all over the place... them digging is not that bad considering it's the first time I put hay on top of the litter. Actually, what is litter referred to in the word litterbox? didn't get what u mean with "with the litter not being covered".

I ordered some toys for them that should arrive on during this week. Regarding the flooring I will try to put the carpet I bought for them in their area and see how it goes.

One more question I have is how important is it to let them wander around every now and then? When I let them out of their area Minor (dark bunny) likes to come down the stairs to the 2nd floor and feed on a plant we have in the corridor.

Personally I like the idea of them walking around part of the house although I don't know how necessary it is for them and whether its good or bad.

The reason I put them in that big room a couple of months ago is so they could just run and jump around but as I already mentioned that had a negative effect instead of anything good!

I fear letting them out from their area is also not great.

Would greatly appreciate your comments on this one.

Was not easy but my bunnies are now separated. Rex (light bunny) seems pretty much out of sorts… hope all goes well 🙏🏼

Attachments

• C3A34BE8-E9FA-44D5-AC9B-E54FF0DF565E.jpeg
    C3A34BE8-E9FA-44D5-AC9B-E54FF0DF565E.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 10
I could close one in the cage and have the other in the area where the red litterbox and woodier stuff is and maybe switch between who is where every now and then. They will be able to spend time together during feeding time twice a day. Will that be ok?

I will contact to the person who sold them to me this week and have them neutered as soon as possible.
I would not put them together at all. They might fight over food. Make sure there are at least 3 inches of space between the cages to make sure they don’t nip each other through the cage bars.
So I should also remove the hay mattes where they peed on right?
Yes. You might be able to wash those off in the sink and give them back to them 🤷‍♀️

Please expand a bit on the process as it's completely new to me. I see you have 2 bunnies, are they both boys?

You see I got both of them together and they have been living together all this time so it seems kind of cruel to separate them now.

In the current setup it's especially cruel to have one of them inside the cage and the other out in the pin area. So I thought perhaps I should switch on a daily basis between the 2 being in the cage.

Now you're saying I should separate them completely... this is a bit more complicated? For how long? what's the idea here? Once I bring them back together what is that going to be like for them?

I do have two rabbits (Theo, who I’ve had since he was a baby. And Will, who I got almost 3 months ago as a friend for Theo) and they are both boys. They have both been neutered and are now in the bonding process. The process is moving super slowly because Theo is aggressive towards Will.
My bunnies are housed in playpens right beside each other. At first these pens were 3 inches apart because Theo would bite Will through the cage bars, but after a month of bonding sessions their pens are now side by side (see pics).

I understand that they have been together for a while, but if bunnies have one really bad fight (which would be expected between two unneutered males) they may never bond. Swapping them from one cage to another every day is ok, but please make sure they can’t get to the other rabbit when you are swapping them. As soon as they get neutered and recover (2 months) you can start the bonding process. Please keep in mind they may never bond. Them being friends before being neutered will not play a role in whether they bond or not.

Once they are neutered their litter habits will improve. The nasty smell will go away, clean up will be much easier, and the rabbits may become friendlier. If the rabbits bond you might consider free roaming them! If my bunnies bond they will be free in my room, which makes them much happier than being in a cage. The only issue would be bunny proofing your house (or the rooms they would be allowed in) but there are so many ideas out there which would help you.

Attachments

• C0C781F2-5DF5-424D-B7D0-1CCBC055F5FB.jpeg
    C0C781F2-5DF5-424D-B7D0-1CCBC055F5FB.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 9224B727-BA06-45CD-8293-B5F4FEEB284A.jpeg
    9224B727-BA06-45CD-8293-B5F4FEEB284A.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 11
I do have two rabbits (Theo, who I’ve had since he was a baby. And Will, who I got almost 3 months ago as a friend for Theo) and they are both boys. They have both been neutered and are now in the bonding process. The process is moving super slowly because Theo is aggressive towards Will.
My bunnies are housed in playpens right beside each other. At first these pens were 3 inches apart because Theo would bite Will through the cage bars, but after a month of bonding sessions their pens are now side by side (see pics).

I understand that they have been together for a while, but if bunnies have one really bad fight (which would be expected between two unneutered males) they may never bond. Swapping them from one cage to another every day is ok, but please make sure they can’t get to the other rabbit when you are swapping them. As soon as they get neutered and recover (2 months) you can start the bonding process. Please keep in mind they may never bond. Them being friends before being neutered will not play a role in whether they bond or not.

Once they are neutered their litter habits will improve. The nasty smell will go away, clean up will be much easier, and the rabbits may become friendlier. If the rabbits bond you might consider free roaming them! If my bunnies bond they will be free in my room, which makes them much happier than being in a cage. The only issue would be bunny proofing your house (or the rooms they would be allowed in) but there are so many ideas out there which would help you.

Thank you for sharing! This is so very helpful!

I have scheduled for my rabbits to be neutered this Saturday. By then I will try to work on their setup and have them live in neighbouring equally large areas/cages just like your rabbits, and get rid of the smaller cage I thought having one of them live in.

I just got a larger litterbox (cat litterbox delivered this morning and will set it up this evening. Is the litterbox the only place you put hay in for your rabbits or does it have to be in a different spot besides the litterbox as well.

Glad to see you're getting them neutered soon. The floor needs sorting out, that is terrible floor for bunnies and can lead to injuries and long term health problems. Look into textured, cushioned, non-slip lino or stable mats (and not just for their playpen but everywhere) and once they are toilet trained, add soft blankets, especially where they like to sleep. They also need a couple of hiding boxes with at least two exits.

thank you for your comment!

I found this flooring online. Do you think it will do the job?

Attachments

• A0F74CEC-C9B4-4E3B-8E62-B2EB50A86277.png
    A0F74CEC-C9B4-4E3B-8E62-B2EB50A86277.png
    265.9 KB · Views: 9
  • D606ED5A-4385-4D4E-AC37-85C5AD154C7F.png
    D606ED5A-4385-4D4E-AC37-85C5AD154C7F.png
    438.8 KB · Views: 10

It could be OK but I would worry they will chew it - if you use it for the playpen then make sure edges are outside of the pen. Also if they are not reliable with the litter tray yet you would need to put some waterproof barrier under it as the urine can get through the seams.

Is the litterbox the only place you put hay in for your rabbits or does it have to be in a different spot besides the litterbox as well.
That’s perfect! My bunnies use cat litter boxes also. I have hay only in the litter boxes because it just gets so messy! Occasionally I will put hay in a toy and sprinkle some rose petals on it, but I would not suggest that when litter training as it might confuse them.

Those will work! I use puzzle mats in one of my bunny pens and I really love them! As @Diane R said, be careful the rabbits don’t chew them. They normally won’t chew them unless they can get to the corner of them. Theo has only chewed them once when a treat got underneath one of them, but even then he didn’t eat the foam. Will has never chewed them, even though he chews everything else he can get to. It really just depends on the rabbit, but I think it’s worth buying them and trying them out.

Short update on where I am this evening…

I bought them a couple of houses as well but will probably wait until they come back from the clinic already neutered.

By the way I will have to drive them there in a box and since it’s a 30-40 minutes drive I wonder whether it’s better to put them together in one box orin separated boxes?

appreciate your feedback!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 9
Short update on where I am this evening…

I bought them a couple of houses as well but will probably wait until they come back from the clinic already neutered.

By the way I will have to drive them there in a box and since it’s a 30-40 minutes drive I wonder whether it’s better to put them together in one box orin separated boxes?

appreciate your feedback!
As you have separated them there is no point in transporting them in the same box, use two boxes. Hope it all goes well.

Reactions: Fuz

Latest posts

Back