Overgrown teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
I just noticed today that one of the buns has overgrown bottom teeth. I haven't had to deal with this before, and I'm getting her to the vet asap. She is quite young too, about 6 months old. Do rabbits with this problem normally have to get their teeth trimmed regularly? I am fairly sure I have read about it on here before.

Benji has had teeth problems the past year and a half or so. The vet suspects genetics rather than diet as the primary cause.
I started getting them trimmed (not clipped) once a month for a while, then it started to become every 2 weeks. Once this seemed to not be working, about 2 months ago the vet tried a new tactic of slightly trimming the front of the lower teeth and the back of the upper so as to encourage them to meet properly, and it seems to be working (THANK GOD).

It's been a long and expensive road lol which could have resulted in having to remove the incisors, which i didn't want to do, but thankfully it's now looking promising- one tooth is finally meeting and the other doesn't look far behind alignment.

But if surgery is the best option for Benji then I will have to consider that in future if it is needed but hopefully it won't be!

Jen

Latest posts

Back