Overgrown Nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfinner1

Reaction score
About a year and a half ago, I went through a really rough patch where I didn't think I could afford to keep my bunny, Xenos. I gave him to my aunt and her 4 kids, thinking that they could better provide for him. I'm not sure exactly how long they had him, it was a very hectic point in my life. But after several months I made it out to see him (they lived over an hour away, and I don't have a car). He was in horrible shape, with a filthy cage, dirty water, old food, and horribly overgrown nails. Naturally, I was appalled, and even though my situation hadn't improved much, I took him home because even with no job and no income, I could do better then what they had. Anyways, the point of all of this is that Xenos *still* has overgrown nails. I cut them every to every other week, as far down as is safe, but they are still huge. Is there anything I can do to make them shorter? I'm assuming that like cats and dogs you don't want to cut the quick, and I cut as close to that as I can. Will the quick ever get smaller? Or will he always have overgrown nails?

It can take a very long time to get the quick to shrink back to a normal point, but it will. You are doing the right thing by trimming on a very regular basis. I had this trouble with my turtles who were neglected before I got them. It took two years before they were normal.

Do you have space to give the bunny a stone paver or two? They are nice and cool to lay on in the summer and they can provide a little natural nail wear for between sessions.

What Brandy said, or if you have a cement area to let him run around fo a little bit every day, that could help wear his nails down a bit too. Im assumig he wont let you take a little nail file to them, lol

MiniLopHop wrote:
It can take a very long time to get the quick to shrink back to a normal point, but it will. You are doing the right thing by trimming on a very regular basis. I had this trouble with my turtles who were neglected before I got them. It took two years before they were normal.

Do you have space to give the bunny a stone paver or two? They are nice and cool to lay on in the summer and they can provide a little natural nail wear for between sessions.
I have the same problem wth my bunnies' nails. My question is: What is a stone paver? I would be interested in getting one too.

Once it warms up he'll get to run around in our yard, and since we have a cement driveway, I can encourage him to spend some time running on that. His free time right now is spent running around the basement, which has cement floors, but it's the smooth type, not the rough stuff. Also, same question as Molly. What's a stone paver?

Latest posts

Back