Overgrown Incisors/Molar Spurs?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
Most of you know Theo has not been himself (not eating as much, not pooping as much, sitting in a hunched position, and not as active) since the end of January. I took him to the vet when it all started happening and after 3 weeks he was better. After a week of being healthy, he got sick again with the same thing. He still is not 100% himself.

In January, when I took him to the vet, they never checked his teeth which made me frustrated because I had paid for them too. A few days after getting back from the vet I called them and asked why they had not checked his teeth and told them that his teeth are not completely straight. They said not to worry and that it is normal for rabbits teeth to be a little off. I believed them which was obviously a mistake.

Two days ago Theo started drooling, but I thought it was just because he has gotten in his water bowl. Today there was more drool so I checked his teeth. I found that his incisors have cut into his bottom lip and caused it to bleed (see picture). No wonder he has not been wanting to eat or play as much as normal. I felt his jawline and it felt normal so I was thinking maybe he is drooling because of the overgrown incisors, not from molar spurs? When he was a baby he chewed on cage bars which caused him to have an overbite. His top teeth are so much longer than his bottom teeth because of that.

I think that the whole reason he got sick in the first place was because of his teeth and the vet never helped us! I can not take him to the vet because of the coronavirus. I am super worried because I don't want him to be in pain.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_144120 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200407_144120 (2).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200407_144122 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200407_144122 (2).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200407_144117 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200407_144117 (2).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 7
Not much you can do until you can get him to the vet and have the teeth trimmed. In extreme emergency situations where there is no other choice, it is possible to trim them with clippers, but this can also pose a risk of cracks occurring in the tooth, which could lead to other problems. So I would only ever do this if getting to the vet was completely impossible and my rabbit was on the verge of not eating.

Ok, thank you. Do you think this is what was causing him to get sick from the beginning? And, do you think he also has molar spurs or is he drooling because of the overgrown incisors?

Have had guinea pigs with molar spurs and misaligned teeth, and they drooled. There is a product, critical care for herbivores, that can be mixed with water and given by eyedropper. But best would be to get Theo to a vet who can check his teeth. Best wishes. Hope Theo is all better soon.

Thank you. There is no need to give him critical care because he is still eating on his own. I will take him to the vet when it opens. It is closed due to the coronavirus.

Latest posts

Back