Overgrooming of Ears?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarisaAndToby

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a behavioural or medical issue... Toby's been for two checkups since I've had him and I brought up the issue to both vets; they both said it doesn't seem like he's damaging the actual skin, and he has no signs of mites or anything so he's likely fine.

When I first brought him home last April, I noticed he was missing fur on both ears at the ends. I figured it was from a prior wound from the guinea pig his prior owners had him in with. As time went on it became apparent that he was doing this himself while grooming... I guess he just goes a bit overboard on the ends of his ears?

They healed themselves up probably a couple of months ago, and I attributed the overgrooming to stress, which was now gone in his new home. However, he's gone back to his overgrooming and I'm not sure why. I haven't changed anything in his cage and he seems normal in every other way. He's actually done quite a number on them this time around; it's very very obvious. Silly boy.

So I'm wondering is this just a little tick for him like biting nails in humans, or cracking knuckles? Or is it stress related? Is there anything I can do to get him to stop doing it? Or could there be a medical issue underlying this?

(image resize is processing)
IMG_0559.jpg

what a cutie! one of my dogs constantly washes her paws while the other one always makes sure his nails are kept ground wayyyyy down, i have no idea why they do it and neither does the vet its just 'something they do'
is there nothing you can put on his ears to stop him grooming too much if its making him sore?

sorry im not much help?

Well luckily he doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Maybe it'll just be his thing that he does now and then.

Another thought I had is maybe he's too warm? Since buns expel heat through their ears maybe that little bit of fur was keeping him a bit too cozy? Haha seems like a bit of a stretch, oh well.

Just while he's grooming. Pulls down his ears and just goes to town on them. It looks like regular grooming but he must nibble the fur off while he's doing it.

Also Katie, you can't have him! Fraggles would be distraught. Also, Jason would probably rename him to Monster Pudding Poop Butt or something like that.

... Keep an eye out on my blog though, I'm about to have a very adorable photo update.

Toby is so sweet. I think he needs to come visit Becky. She can teach him how lops groom their ears appropriately. :)

I think the fur on the ears is lighter to start with. That spot is very thinly furred on Becky's ears too. Toby must get just a little carried away. The vets have checked inside his ears to make sure there's no infection? He doesn't shake his head or paw at his ears?

He does, but only at regular times like cleaning. I looked in his ears myself yesterday just to make sure, and they were clean as far as my eyes could see.

The vet also took a look in them in September when I was first worried about it, and she said it was fine too.

Latest posts

Back