Overgroomed Baby

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
Yesterday we had more baby bunnies born! Unfortunately out of the eight, only three survived with one being in critical condition. Mama overgroomed it at birth (this is her first litter), so it is missing an ear and some skin around the area.

I have been keeping it clean and using animal liquid bandage spray as it begins to heal. I'm interested in learning what else I can do to keep the baby comfortable (so far it is very active, but would have lost a lot of blood).

Eventually I'll discuss with the vet what is ethical to do. Will this impact the ability of the bunny? Will it be able to hear despite the injury?

The kit will be able to hear but not as good and as long the baby heals it will have a normal life. It can have a little harder to regulate temperature.

I had a bunny who had bad hearing and was deaf on one ear. He had a normal life.

There have been baby bunnies that were overgroomed, missing an ear, etc, that have survived to be adults and done just fine. A missing ear isn't the worst thing. As long as you can keep an infection from getting started, and provided the baby bunny is still eating well and is active(not acting lethargic and less responsive), then it's likely not experiencing too much pain and will adapt well to only having one ear.

As long as it's not ever in a position where good hearing is essential(eg. detection of predators) and it isn't kept in too warm of an environment(ears being the primary way a rabbit cools it's body temp), then I think it should do just fine. If you look at this link, it shows adult pet rabbits that had the same thing happen to them and they grew up to be just fine.

https://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/health/infanticide/
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Mutilation/Mut_doe_en.pdf

Thank you both very much for the responses and information. The baby is still doing wonderfully, as active (if not more) than its siblings. I have been cleaning it often and doing everything in my power to keep infection from happening!

Latest posts

Back