Overeating rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Flobby is a 3.5 month 1 pound dwarf rabbit (or maybe 1 kilo I forgot what weight system they use at the vet). However he EATS like way more than these food guides say rabbits should be eating. I give him 1/4 cup of pellets in the morning, and after like 2 hours they are gone and he has nothing other than hay until the night, which he then usually finishes really fast too. He will eat like 3 times his size in hay, and at night I give him a bowl of veggies or fruit and again he eats it in like 1 hour. My other bunny does not do this, she usually leaves food behind, or takes like 15 hours to eat 1/4 cup of pellets, and like 8 hours with fruit, slow on hay too, but she is like half the size as him. So I don't know, should I be feeding him more? He is often left foodless bc he eats too fast and too much, but is he eating normally? He is soo motivated by food its insane (its also a plus bc has been so easy to train, he knows his name and does circles)

The weight you state must be in kilos since 1 kilo is 2.2 lbs. If his body is in good condition, he can be eating more pellets. Pellets should not be limited until he is 6-7 months of age. Since he is a good hay eater, giving him more pellets is fine (just be sure they are plain pellets without colorful bits mixed in). The only reason to limit pellets for a younger rabbit is if they are not eating enough hay. But this does not seem to be the case.

It's also fine for him to have greens every day if you've introduced them. Hopefully you are not giving him a bowl of fruit. Fruit is high in sugar. The most he should get per day is a single slice of apple OR a 1" slice of banana (for example). Greens, on the other hand, he can have about 2 cups per day. Think things like green leaf lettuce, cilantro, basil, mint, romaine lettuce, etc.

Be sure he never runs out of hay. He should always have as much hay as he desires. If you are feeding alfalfa hay, you can mix in some timothy hay.

I wouldn't compare how he eats to another rabbit. They all can be different. Some self-regulate how much they eat. Some don't. Some are super sensitive about diet changes. Some aren't.

Remember, younger rabbits can eat more as they are still growing. But even adults are typically ravenous when it comes to pellets. My adult rabbit gets his small portion of pellets once per day and always eats them within 5 minutes time.

At 3.5 months, he is still a young growing rabbit, and therefore has higher feed requirements. He should be getting close to unlimited amounts of pellets and unlimited grass hay. I would only somewhat restrict the amount of pellets if he is getting obese, and/or not eating a pile of hay the size of his body each day. Since he is used to his pellets currently being restricted, I would gradually increase the amount over the week, so as to not disrupt his gut microflora with a sudden increase in pellets.

Latest posts

Back