Overdose on ringworm (itraconazole) medicine?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloe leung

Reaction score
Hi,
This morning I accidentally gave my rabbit an overdose in ringworm medicine. After I gave him the medicine he still seemed to be acting fine, and didn't seem to have any symptoms (yet). I'm hoping he'll stay hydrated and drink lots of water so the powder will absorb in his system. I'll also stop giving him his medicine for a few days too. Is this ok, or should I send him to the vet?

How much is an overdose?
G
How often and how much is he supposed to get
What did you give him

I gave him ringworm medicine (itraconazale), it's a powdered medicine. I'm meant to put it in some wet food/banana each day. But because he's got an overdose, I should give him more.

Update: He's pooped out some brown liquidy poop, would this be a sign of GI Stasis/ gut slowdown?
I gave him ringworm medicine (itraconazale), it's a powdered medicine. I'm meant to put it in some wet food/banana each day. But because he's got an overdose, I should give him more.
*I meant none

Please try and keep your posts together. No need to do 4 posts.

A pinch isnt proper dosage.
So a bigger pinch shouldnt be much of a difference since hes been getting random amounts the entire time. So no I wouldnt stop if youre trying to treat but this just isnt sounds right. Did a rabbit vet perscribe the treatment?

If hes pooping out liquid then yes thats an emergency and he should see a rabbit savvy vet.

The vet did prescribe the treatment. The watery poop might be a case of him not eating enough hay/fibre. I've been waiting for hay-but it's been taking a long time to post-I'll try and send him to a vet/get treatment as soon as I can.

Latest posts

Back