Over weight after months of diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmi

Reaction score
Hi all, emmi and emit are both over weight and I’ve been trying to get them to lose some weight. Emit when I got him was on a free limit of pellets and I’ve cut back to half a cup of feed between the two twice a day. So a cup total per day Along with veggies which I was told shouldn’t be making them over weight as they are mostly water based. I use the pellets as a form of treats which is added into their daily total intake of pellets. A treat here and there is also given. What is the ideal amount of food (pellets) for a mini lop that should be 6-8 pounds ideally and a mixed breed that I was told should weigh about the same? I know I’ve posted about this before but I can’t seem to find that post so I’m posting again. Also, veggies are getting sparse in the stores here and I can rarely find any. What if they don’t get veggies? They also get western Timothy haywhich makes up most of their diet.

Also here are a couple pictures of the buns.

Attachments

• B2E40F5D-5EB3-4C02-BD2E-A5B2B3288265.jpeg
    B2E40F5D-5EB3-4C02-BD2E-A5B2B3288265.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 6
My 7lb rabbit (healthy weight; maintained for the 2 years I've had her) gets 1/8 cup of pellets every day, and she is on Science Selective, which is the larger pellets (relative to Oxbow). I don't know if it's possible to point to studies which identify the "ideal" amount of pellets, but generally speaking for good-quality pellets, you really don't need a lot -- they pack a lot of nutrients in a small package.

One parameter is "feed 'at most' 1/8 cup to 1/4 cup of pellets per rabbit per day for every 5 lbs of rabbit" - Wabbitwiki ... based on this and my personal experience, yes, you could afford to reduce pellets further. 1/2c once a day or even 1/4c once a day fall within the recommendation quoted for your buns.

In tandem with diet, also consider whether lifestyle variables also come into play. E.g., how active are your buns and do they need some more engagement regularly to promote exercise.

My personal opinions is, as you mention, veggies don't really carry a ton of weight relative to pellets in terms of nutrition vessels -- they can be viewed as added variety and another source of hydration if the pellets provided are good quality, since pellets will do the lionshare of the work in filling in nutritional gaps which exist from hay-only eating.

Yes, try reducing pellets. Maybe try 1/4 cup twice a day with free fed grass hay (eg. timothy), making sure they're eating a pile of hay at least the size of their body per day. Then after a few weeks of monitoring body weight and condition, if they are still gaining or not losing excess weight, you could try reducing pellets to 1/8 cup twice a day. Are the pellets you're feeding grass or alfalfa based?

Yes, try reducing pellets. Maybe try 1/4 cup twice a day with free fed grass hay (eg. timothy), making sure they're eating a pile of hay at least the size of their body per day. Then after a few weeks of monitoring body weight and condition, if they are still gaining or not losing excess weight, you could try reducing pellets to 1/8 cup twice a day. Are the pellets you're feeding grass or alfalfa based?
The pellets are Timothy based

According to ARBA, a mini-lop should max at 6.5 lbs. If your rabbits are mixes, it's better to go by body condition/shape to determine appropriate size.

If you'd like a resource concerning recommended pellet quantity, here's a quote from the House Rabbit Society that basically confirms what Jenny & @John Wick wrote.

"Because of several potential problems associated with pellets, some veterinarians now recommend that pellets be not only rationed, but rationed quite severely. Instead of giving the rabbit all she can eat in a day, a night, or a few hours, we have been considering the following amounts as maximums (Brown 1994):

5-7 lb of body wt. 1/4 cup daily

8-10 lb body wt. 1/2 cup daily

11-15 lb of body wt. 3/4 cup daily

There is evidence that small breeds (under 2 lbs) may require a diet higher in energy and lower in fiber than the larger breeds (Cheeke 1987, 324). Several foster homes have experienced digestive problems in rabbits under 4 lbs who were put on severely restricted diets.

Once pellets have been reduced, it is equally important to make sure that fresh grass hay is available to the rabbit at all times, and that fresh vegetables be given in larger amounts than has previously been recommended (up to 2-4 cups a day). Actually, because of the problems usually associated with the overfeeding of pellets, some rabbits do better if they receive no pellets at all. Instead, they eat several cups of fresh veggies a day and all the grass hay they want. Other rabbits still eat pellets, but receive significantly less than the above amounts, with a corresponding increase in the amount of vegetables offered. These more extreme measures are particularly helpful for overweight rabbits who need to lose weight safely. Treats should be limited to small (1 tsp.) amounts of fresh fruit. Most starches should be avoided, since too much carbohydrate has been associated with enteritis. Oats and barley in small amounts can be digested by rabbits but can, nonetheless, provide more calories than necessary."

Last edited:
According to ARBA, a mini-lop should max at 6.5 lbs. If your rabbits are mixes, it's better to go by body condition/shape to determine appropriate size.

If you'd like a resource concerning recommended pellet quantity, here's a quote from the House Rabbit Society that basically confirms what Jenny & @John Wick wrote.

"Because of several potential problems associated with pellets, some veterinarians now recommend that pellets be not only rationed, but rationed quite severely. Instead of giving the rabbit all she can eat in a day, a night, or a few hours, we have been considering the following amounts as maximums (Brown 1994):

5-7 lb of body wt. 1/4 cup daily

8-10 lb body wt. 1/2 cup daily

11-15 lb of body wt. 3/4 cup daily

There is evidence that small breeds (under 2 lbs) may require a diet higher in energy and lower in fiber than the larger breeds (Cheeke 1987, 324). Several foster homes have experienced digestive problems in rabbits under 4 lbs who were put on severely restricted diets.

Once pellets have been reduced, it is equally important to make sure that fresh grass hay is available to the rabbit at all times, and that fresh vegetables be given in larger amounts than has previously been recommended (up to 2-4 cups a day). Actually, because of the problems usually associated with the overfeeding of pellets, some rabbits do better if they receive no pellets at all. Instead, they eat several cups of fresh veggies a day and all the grass hay they want. Other rabbits still eat pellets, but receive significantly less than the above amounts, with a corresponding increase in the amount of vegetables offered. These more extreme measures are particularly helpful for overweight rabbits who need to lose weight safely. Treats should be limited to small (1 tsp.) amounts of fresh fruit. Most starches should be avoided, since too much carbohydrate has been associated with enteritis. Oats and barley in small amounts can be digested by rabbits but can, nonetheless, provide more calories than necessary."
Would a interactive mat (also know as a snuffle mat) work to get them to slow down when they eat? It seems like putting it in a dish and giving it to them just isn’t my style.

Would a interactive mat (also know as a snuffle mat) work to get them to slow down when they eat? It seems like putting it in a dish and giving it to them just isn’t my style.

I use a slow feed dish for one of my dogs. [The snuffle mats that are fabric or rug-like may be chewed by rabbits.] Some rabbit owners have used slow feed dishes for those rabbits that tend to choke on their food. It isn't necessary otherwise. No harm if you'd like to.

I've never had any issues just putting their 1/4 cup of pellets in a dish at nighttime. It would coax them into their cage for the night. They'd eat it all in a few minutes. They seemed to see it as a special treat. They had hay to keep them busy munching.

956FFF99-1135-4A3B-9988-4D478C48875F.png041BCA50-1098-4C3D-A47F-72D4FADFF5FE.png
I have this ball that you can put pellets in. This is the snuffle mat I was talking about.

I have a mini rex and I use the same exact ball pictured in the photo above. She also has a weight problem (see my avitar photo). She LOVES the interaction with the ball and gives her exercise when eating. I've noticed her loading up more on veggies when I started the ball feeding as it limits her to just "chowing" down her food. She has lost a few pounds since doing this; so, it does work.

I have found it takes time for them to lose weight and I think a healthier way. You don't want them to drop weight too quickly. I do know how you feel, I have been trying to get my bun to lose weight for about 5 years with just no luck. She has only ever gotten 1/8 cup of pellets per day and STILL can't lose weight.

The ball has helped her though...it encouraged exercise and that is what she really needed. It is worth a try. ;)

Latest posts

Back