Outside rabbit housing problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissyea

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined. I’m having an issue with my rabbits being stressed out in their current outside environment. I live in a neighborhood with a bunch of kids, but plenty of backyard space. I originally was going to build them housing by putting fencing with chicken wire in a good space in the yard with plenty of hides and a shaded area; but, I was told by my parents to go with the cheapest option. So we bought extra large dog crates with a hide in each; and let them out freely in the yard. I’ve noticed that they’ve been stressed out since then, and my parents wanted a professional opinion.

Hi, I just joined. I’m having an issue with my rabbits being stressed out in their current outside environment. I live in a neighborhood with a bunch of kids, but plenty of backyard space. I originally was going to build them housing by putting fencing with chicken wire in a good space in the yard with plenty of hides and a shaded area; but, I was told by my parents to go with the cheapest option. So we bought extra large dog crates with a hide in each; and let them out freely in the yard. I’ve noticed that they’ve been stressed out since then, and my parents wanted a professional opinion.

Attachments

• 0DA42250-DACC-40E9-8998-02C833FB7647.jpeg
    0DA42250-DACC-40E9-8998-02C833FB7647.jpeg
    516.4 KB · Views: 15
Hi, what age/breed are your rabbits, are they same sex, are they fixed?

How long they are with you, where they came from (rescue, breeder etc)?

Those cages look 80x60x60 cm to me which is not very big and also they are all uncovered so they only have small hides in there and maybe stressed as don't feel protected enough

Are they male or female and what age?

Hi, what age/breed are your rabbits, are they same sex, are they fixed?

How long they are with you, where they came from (rescue, breeder etc)?

Those cages look 80x60x60 cm to me which is not very big and also they are all uncovered so they only have small hides in there and maybe stressed as don't feel protected enough
They are 4 month old New Zealands- one male and one female. Unfixed. I have them separated. I got them from a guy who uses their waste for fertilizer. I brought up the issues of everything being uncovered before to my parents. My original idea was to make a bigger area for them, half boarded wall and half chicken wire. Shaded and with hides. ( the cage against the fence by the kennels) Should I go with my original idea?

They are unfixed and young, it is good that they are separated and have a gap between their cages but they can be also nervous because of their hormones they can see and smell each other. If you can put a strong piece of cardboard between them and also cover their cages with a cardboard only leaving one opening (front or side so to minimize their contacts), and cover their roof as well with a rain-proof material, they will feel more protected then. That would be short-time solution. But their cages are too small. If they were fixed you could join their crates into one (removing one side of each crate and using them as an extra wall, so you could expand their area up to 2m x 80cm) which would be enough for them, but as they are intact you can't do it now. Are you going to breed them or fix them?

Your idea of half boarded wall and half chicken wire sounds good, you could also use their crates for making front panels instead of chicken wire. Those crates have good doors and can be used for sure, they are very easy to disassemble too. So you could make back and side walls and top and bottom solid wood or plywood and front panels use those crates for them, if as I said they are 80x60cm you can have up to 280cm front panels with good size doors for each housing, or use one crate disassembled and one for any needs like transportation or an extra.

That's what I would do probably

I agree those are way too small. I have an xpen for one of mine (4x4x5 feet high) the dad and a large wood two level condo for the other two(.9 feet long)(Mom and baby) the baby doesn't like his dad so they will fight. Lol during the day I add the extra xpen to give him more space
Being up on legs like that makes me nervous of them falling off,

Attachments

• 15860145790282599106809444859284.jpg
    15860145790282599106809444859284.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 15860146147745312875934886694964.jpg
    15860146147745312875934886694964.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 9
I agree those are way too small. I have an xpen for one of mine (4x4x5 feet high) the dad and a large wood two level condo for the other two(.9 feet long)(Mom and baby) the baby doesn't like his dad so they will fight. Lol during the day I add the extra xpen to give him more space
Being up on legs like that makes me nervous of them falling off,
Hi, how old is the baby? If you will keep baby boy with his mother he can actually impregnate her really quickly, boys become fertile around 12-14 weeks (some even from 10 weeks!) so be careful with that!

Related to outdoor housing in the USA, you are correct that noisy environments, snoopy children or adults, malicious humans and A LONG LIST of predatory beings could attack and harm, injure, kill your rabbits. Along with the parasites, unless Louisiana doesn't have ticks, mites, fleas, roundworm from raccoons, e.c. shed in urine spores from infected species from other wildlife.

I thought it'd be a neat idea to allow our disabled rabbits to nibble grass outdoors in their wheelcart or towel sling, until blood was expelled along with a transparent segment of the tapeworm she had living inside (for several months). A quick trip to the DVM for Panacur allowed her to expel the approx, 12-inch long tapeworm.

Plenty of experiences from rescue groups -plus- Facebook forums, perhaps here as well, regarding shortened lifespan and the stress of outdoor hutches where predatory beings and parasites are.

Search articles will mention the vulnerable rabbits no longer found in their hutches who were stolen by a 2-legged predator or killed by a land or winged predator.

Yes, be careful with gender ID and allowing a male to impregnate his sister or another. Be ready when hormones kick in and your boy will start spraying! Spraying and mounting. Mary Cotter and Amy Sedaris published excellent Howcast videos on Care of a Pet Rabbit.

Latest posts

Back