Outside Playpen (Wondering what I should do)

Discussion in 'Housing and Environment' started by Kaya, Aug 21, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Aug 21, 2019 #1

Kaya

Kaya

Kaya

I’m trying to figure out what I should do for an outdoor playpen for probably 2 rabbits. I don’t actually have any yet, and I’m wanting to know what I would need for a playpen that preferably could be moved, but would also be safe to leave them alone in Incase I needed to do something while they were still outside. I plan on keeping them in a hutch outdoors because my parents won’t let me have them inside, but I want them to be able to have space to run around, that I could also move if I wanted to take them to a different part of my property.

2. Aug 22, 2019 #2

Theo

Theo

Theo

This sounds similar to my situation. I am in the process of building a run/hutch for my outdoor rabbit. I suggest that you turn an old outdoor playhouse, you can find one on craigslist, and turn it into the hutch. I don't know of a way for the run to be able to move around because you want to predator proof the floor.

Check out this link about turning the playhouse into the hutch:
    http://www.therabbithouse.com/outdoor/rabbit-playhouse.asp

Critterfan87 likes this.
  3. Aug 22, 2019 #3

Kaya

Kaya

Kaya

So would it be a problem for me to have the run area ground just be grass if the rabbits will usually only be out there if there is someone with them?

4. Aug 22, 2019 #4

Kaya

Kaya

Kaya

I was thinking about getting a hutch sort of like this one and putting it inside of a larger play area outside the hutch.

Theo likes this.
  5. Aug 23, 2019 #5

Theo

Theo

Theo

The floor in my run is also going to be grass. I'm thinking about maybe doing a brink floor but don't know if that will hurt his feet. You can do welded wire over the bottom so that he/she can't dig out. You could also do stone pavers around the outside of the run so nothing can dig in, and the rabbit can't dig out.
    Also, about the hutch. I love that hutch, but try to find a used one so that it is not so much money. Even if it is gently used it will be a whole lot cheaper.
    Check out this link about Outdoor housing: (The picture of the one they just made is like what I am working on!)
    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/outdoor-rabbit-housing/

6. Aug 23, 2019 #6

Kaya

Kaya

Kaya

I am planning on at least trying to get a used hutch.

Theo likes this.