Outside cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky_2017

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a Holland lop male, exact size is unknown and is roughly 3 years old. He’s quite a laid back fella, he loves his cage and whenever I clean it out he always has to put things in their places. He’s quite loving and is a very chilled out rabbit, he’s pretty relaxed around my dog and is not spooked by loud noises. He’s the perfect bun, except for one thing... he chews EVERYTHING. For the past few months I have not been able to let him out of his cage because he chews everything in sight. He’s rather territorial of under my bed and likes the chew the carpet and anything else that ends up under there. I also have to put a water proof blanket over my bed because he pees and poops all over it. I feel really sorry for him cooped up in his cage all day but I don’t know what to do!! I’m getting my floor laminated and a raised bed soon so he cannot jump onto it. But that’s in a years time. Please I’m at my wits end and I feel so sorry for him and I feel like the most terrible owner [emoji24]. Advice is greatly appreciated :)

You need to bunny proof. That means blocking off the area under the bed so he can't get under there. Depending on the height under the bed, you can use 2 x 4's or 2 x 6's or cube grids.

Limit his area with an x-pen if it is too difficult to bunny proof the rest of the room. In that pen area put things that he *can* chew like cardboard boxes, tunnels, seagrass mats, TP tubes, etc.

Here's a link with a lot of bunny proofing tips:
https://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/tabid/53/CategoryID/8/PID/940/Default.aspx

Anything you don't want him to chew on needs to be blocked off so he can't access it. Block off access to your bed with an x-pen, or, alternatively, put something on your bed when he is out that he won't like to jump onto like a thick plastic tarp or pieces of project foam board.

You need to bunny proof. That means blocking off the area under the bed so he can't get under there. Depending on the height under the bed, you can use 2 x 4's or 2 x 6's or cube grids.

Limit his area with an x-pen if it is too difficult to bunny proof the rest of the room. In that pen area put things that he *can* chew like cardboard boxes, tunnels, seagrass mats, TP tubes, etc.

Here's a link with a lot of bunny proofing tips:
https://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/tabid/53/CategoryID/8/PID/940/Default.aspx

Anything you don't want him to chew on needs to be blocked off so he can't access it. Block off access to your bed with an x-pen, or, alternatively, put something on your bed when he is out that he won't like to jump onto like a thick plastic tarp or pieces of project foam board.

Thankyou for the good advice, but i forgot to mention I cannot afford an x pen

When my son needed an exercise area for his pet rats, we used project foamboard from the dollar store and taped them together on the long side. The boards are 2/$1. So you can get 8 boards for $4. That may work as long as you are keeping an eye on your bunny too.

(Just tape all 8 boards together in one long line. Then it can be used like an x-pen.)

When my son needed an exercise area for his pet rats, we used project foamboard from the dollar store and taped them together on the long side. The boards are 2/$1. So you can get 8 boards for $4. That may work as long as you are keeping an eye on your bunny too.

(Just tape all 8 boards together in one long line. Then it can be used like an x-pen.)

Thank you for the advice, I will take that idea into mind and probably will do

The cheapest chicken wire or fence will do, nailed to a wooden frame. DIY can be pretty cheap.

Give him things to chew on - I put soft wood boards on the inside of some hutch doors, and replace them when reduced to splinters. I also give a lot of willow (or any other safe tree) branches and twigs.

Is your buck neutered? That might help with the peeing issue (don't have experience with neutered rabbits myself), it also might get better with age, I took my buck in when he was 2, before that he lived outside and soiled and sprayed everything, during one summer he started visiting my house regularily and didn't make a mess, so I took him in (no cage or so). Perfect free roam house bunny for 1 1/2 years now. On the other hand, one doe I had as house bunny for 8 months was a destructive nightmare, she's a very happy outdoor bunny now, turning my garden into a Indiana Jones Style Pit Trap Adventure Park. 7 pounds of energy and an adorable pighead.

Latest posts

Back