Outdoor runs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugLady

Reaction score
Hi! I'm moving to a new place soon, and will have a good sized yard.

I've been thinking about building the bunnies a big run outside - not to stay outside, but to have a place to play and dig with supervision. Preferably something I can also sit inside of in order to interact with them.

Do any of you have an outdoor set up like this that I could see?
I'm trying to brainstorm materials and plans.
Thanks!

I use these pens in the 3' tall size - http://www.petco.com/product/5874/Precision-Pet-Eight-Panel-Wire-Pens.aspx ... I have like four of them connected together into a HUGE run, lol (two pens is enough to give some decent running-around space, though). I like the taller pens - my old ones were 24''-30'' and I started to get nervous that Nala was going to jump out of the 24'' ones.

I don't have a pic of the entire pen, but here's a pic I took of my agility course that shows the pen (it's making it tiny for some reason :():
DSCF10182_zpsc8779ceb.jpg

it's got the old pens, though - I used to use small animal pens (two different kinds), but they both rusted if they got left out in the rain, which the precision pet ones don't do.

playpens work great as long as the bunnies are supervised.

The 24' ones are too low for Bandit. I use a gate that height on the laundry when he's inside, and he's only jumped it when afraid. But when outside he seems more inclined to want to jump. 24' is a cinch for him, so far I'm seen him clear up to 43'. But as long as you're out there for constant supervision 24' is fine. I put Bandit out on in the lawn in that height, and just make sure I am always there. Not only do I worry about him getting out, but also about neighbour's cats etc.

If you are making a permanent set up that you aren't going to move around, then I would suggest making it tall enouhg that you can walk into without hitting your head and putting a roof on top. This will make is safer from birds and cats. If you can dig it up a bit, putting wire down on the ground will keep them from digging out, you can cover it with dirt and grass. Connecting the wire up to the sides will make is more secure as well.

If you can be outside with the the whole time, then you don't need a top of bottom, but it still needs to be tall enough for your rabbit to not jump out. A 3ft pen is suitable for most rabbits. You can use more than one pen to make the space bigger.

We brought a wooden rabbit run from pets at home we brought it a couple of weeks after having tommy and we still have it now tommy is now 2 years old so you can tell it has lasted quite long so far if you didnt want to make one then if you go to a pet shop then they may have one tommys was about £90

Latest posts

Back