Outdoor Hutch and Digging?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rescuemom

Reaction score
Currently I live in a townhome that has no yard, so my dogs and my bunny are all taken outside onto the grass on a leash.

My fiance and I are looking into new homes that have a fenced in yard. I have a 12'L x 8'W x 6'T chainlink dog run that I intend to set up, throw a wooden roof on, and basically turn into something that can be used as a hutch on nice days(not a full time thing at all, as I often foster dogs and it may need to be used as a run for a dog from time to time instead).

My only real concern is... rabbits can dig... Now, my little guy is fairly lazy. He'll throw toys around, but be damned if he'll chew them or play with them for very long! I've never seen him try to dig, though, so I'm not entirely sure if he would or not.

If you have an outdoor hutch, how concerned are you about digging and why or why not? And if you have an outdoor hutch, DO your buns dig? If you have an outdoor hutch, have your buns ever escaped it and if so, do you know how?

I want to keep things as absolutely bunny proof as possible!

I have a part time outdoor hutch but they do not have access to the ground were they can dig because believe me I thought my bunnies were lazy then I put them in some dirt/grass and they dug right out.
So now I put a ramp with a latch on it so they can only come down when I'm watching them yeea problem solved!!

Good luck
:biggrin:

p.s I have only had girl bunnies and they only dig during mating season so spaying/neutering might help

Every rabbit that I have had and had let on the grass dug. This might work for you (I have never tried it). How about you put some chicken wire or something like that on the grass so that the grass could come up through it. The rabbits could still eat the grass and what not but could not get out. I have a friend who does this with her box turtles.

Latest posts

Back