Outdoor buns water source??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieRae

Reaction score
I have 2 outside mini lops, 7 months & 9 months old. I live in a cold winter climate. It was 14* last night. Typically I will bring my rabbits in if it is below 20*. I was sick last night and asked my husband to bring my boys in. He forgot. :'( I ran out there this morning to check on them and they had gotten their ears wet in their water bowls and the very tips had froze from them getting their ears wet in their water bowls! My poor boys!
I've never had a rabbit that got their ears in their water bowls before. Is my only option to switch them to water bottles? Both these guys dislike water bottles. Any suggestions?

Actually on looking at it again, I can see you’ve already posted - did you try the heated crocks you mentioned?

Yes, the bowls are heated. But they get their ears wet, then the ears froze, because they are wet. I don't want it to happen again. :-( Do you think a smaller bowl? I'm going to put water bottles out today and see how they do with them......

I've had mini lops before. And never had this problem. I've tried to make them inside rabbits, but they HATE living inside. They will come in and play with my kids and my all the time, but they are very unhappy inside all the time.

A smaller bowl, or a bowl with a smaller top and bigger bottom (look up spaniel bowls)? Might be worth a try.
What makes you believe they hate being inside, out of interest?

Both constantly thumping. They seem stressed out when they are inside, compared to my other rabbit who is an inside rabbit. They don't stretch out comfy or binky around. One of them sprays when he's inside. (I have a female house rabbit) They are both un-neutered, which I know is part of the problem, but they are 4-H rabbits & I was told they cannot be altered.
My other un-neutered male, inside rabbit is such relaxed and chill inside. He has a whole different demeanor than the other 2.

Fair enough :) try the spaniel bowl, it’s designed to stop spaniel ears sipping in water too!
Also, who told you you can’t alter your bucks?

I will give them a try. Thank you!
My cousin told me you can't show spayed or neutered rabbits. I just took her word for it, since her kids have shown rabbits for a while. Is she incorrect?

Oh I didn’t realised you showed them I thought you meant they were of a 4-H parentage, I don’t show but my understanding is that yes they have to be entire to show.

Latest posts

Back