outdoor bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hailiejade

Reaction score
hi

my bunnies are usually house bunnies but due to my 6 month old suffering from bad eczema flare ups from the hay and maybe even the bunnies once the weather warms up they are going to have to become outdoor bunnies that are bought in at night as i couldnt bear the thought of re-homing them but my daughters eczema gets so bad to the point shes clawing at her skin and making it bleed if theres hay inside , so how many of you keep your bunnies outdoors and do you have any suggestions advice on housing , runs and how to go about this with out upsetting them too much , in all fairness i think it will benefit them as since having my 2nd child with a toddler and baby ive had less time to spend with them and im ashamed to say they have been spending more time than im happy with in there cages as my toddler cant be trusted around them if im not in the room and goes straight for the litter tray and puts it everywhere but they need a lot more excersize than there getting so going outdoors seems the better option

You need to be looking at getting at least a 6ft hutch for them, preferably with a run attached too. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=156178 This thread from another forum should help.

You will need to wait until it is warmer to move them outside, and I would suggest a transition so that they get used to it. Like have them outside for a couple of hours in the middle of the day and gradually extend it.

You will need to make sure that all your accommodation is bunny proof and also weather proof.

If your set up is safe, and you have no foxes, then they can be left outside over night. In a way that is better because they get hardier, which, if they are constantly in and out, they don't get that chance, and come winter will struggle more, although you could probably safely do it until summer. After summer they will start getting a thicker coats for winter and you want them to be as thick as possible which may not happen if they are moving in and out all the time.

10 of mine are outdoors, and they do absolutely fine :) I'm sure yours will too.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
Might I add they not only need to be bunny proof but also wild animal proof. I perfer cages off the ground, at least at night, due to wolves and wild cats.
You're right. I tend to lump bunny proofing in with that, but I should have made it clear. To me bunny proofing is safe for the rabbit in whatever way (be it what is in there, i.e. plants, safe from a bun escaping, safe from predators getting in, etc). But thanks for highlighting that :)

im thinking of clearing out the shed and putting there hutch in there that way they can run around the shed as well and also getting a run , i still think i will bring them in at night though as there so used to bein with us and watching tv in the evenings so i think locking them in the shed at night will depress them , dont really want them to go outdoors at all will defo have them permanetly in at winter as it will be way to cold for them

Bringing them in and taking them out so much is not a good ideal, of the summer your house is cooler than outside and of the winter it is warmer and it can cause them to get sick easier.

Latest posts

Back