Outbursts of fighting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catlyn

Reaction score
I don't know where to put this post, so i'll have it in the behaviour tab.
Yesterday morning I went away for a night to visit a relative of mine, and when i came home today evening, i was hit with unpleasant news.
Storm was sleeping in the pen, and Lümi was on my bed all hunched up and full of bloody spots.
Dad told me that Lümi had attacked Storm at random three times total in just about half an hour. They had both been in the pen when it happened.
I checked both boys and as usual, Storm has no injuries except for some loose hair, while Lümi has a small nose slit, bite right at the throat, one by his eye and one right in the middle of his back.
He was grinding teeth so i gave him 3ml of meloxidyl just to help him out a little.
Obviously we can't let them stay together for a while now, and i'm wondering if i should take Lümi to the vet for a checkup. The bites don't seem to be too deep and there is no new blood oozing, but i'm still worried.
I have no idea why the fights broke out either, as they have been all nice with each other for a while, and a week after moving too,
though dad told me that Lümi was the initiator, going in without prior warning.
Advice and help much appreciated!

We will leave Storm roaming the room for the night and Lümi into the enclosure, and then swap in the morning. When would it ve safe to reintroduce them again?

It can be that Lumi and Storm aren’t a good fit as in personalities or it can be the move that cause a bit of dispute between your boys.

I think it would good taking Lumi to a vet, to see he’s not hiding more wounds which you can’t see.

I would say to at least wait until Lumi is healed and keep them separate until then.

The wondrous thing is that the move was about a week ago and they were doing all fine, got used to the place and went exploring together. It really looked like they were fully bonded! And today, just out of the blue, Lümi went and started a fight. Why would they suddenly do something like that?

Why would they suddenly do something like that?
If it has only been a week since the move, they should have still been kept confined to their pen. With moves, they should have a minimum of full two weeks (better 3-4 weeks) in their new enclosure before being allowed out to roam.

Then, when they are allowed to roam, it should be in a very limited area with access back to their enclosure. Otherwise, territorial disputes are more prone to arise.

Moves can disrupt any bonds, so it's important to proceed very slowly.

I'm afraid that since they've fought like this, it will be back to square one. Consider them totally unbonded and start anew as if they never met.

Last edited:
If it has only been a week since the move, they should have still been kept confined to their pen.
Then, when they are allowed to roam, it should be in a very limited area with access back to their enclosure.
I didn't know how long they should've been kept in the smaller space, and i forgot to ask, so i just went by their body lingo and kept an eye out until they acted totally chill with each other, that resulted in the door being just opened only a few days ago, and they were doing just fine, Lümi being the bigger explorer at first. They always had their door open to return, and most of the time Storm stayed inside. So i thought that it was still all fine.
But maybe the problem is the size of the room, and the fact that we can't really split it or limit the area to half the room that might've caused the sudden stir. Not including my bed, half the room could roughly fit three times the enclosure space, so maybe even that would be too much....
I'm afraid that since they've fought like this, it will be back to square one. Consider them totally unbonded and start anew as if they never met.
That is going to be hard then... We have run out of rooms they haven't been to, and the usual "bathroom" way won't work because the space is just too tiny.
Would it still be fine if they can see and smell each other through the enclosure/room or do i have to move one of them completely out and away from the other?

Latest posts

Back