Out of cage time? How much?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay! What a smart bun! I usually let my Ruby out of her pen for 3 hours a day. I don't think that's mandatory to do but that's what I have time for.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

I let my rabbits out in a run daily for anywhere ranging from 15 minutes to 3-4 hours depends on how long I plan to let my rabbits run around for and how busy I am.

Depends on how big the cage is. If its small, 3 hours, but if its big, at least 15-30 mins. When you have a small cage the out time is for exercise, but with a large cage its more of just getting out of the house. It also depends on the bun. If I didn't let Polly out she wouldn't care. She doesn't run a lot and barely leaves the cage when I open the door, but peeta gets bored really easily and he likes to get out of his cage no matter how big it is so he needs at least an hour a day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

I do what I can for my buns so some days they have been out for 8+ hours if I am home I will let them out they keep the grass down too!

My rabbit gets 24 hour free range in the kitchen on most days. If she doesn't get free range, she gets at least 12 hours out.

But I think the suggestion is like 3-4 hours out of the cage everyday.

Right now that my buns are bonded they have no restrictions in the pet room. On a work day they generally get 3-4 hours free range. Off nights until We go to sleep and then some, so about 8-12 hours. My rabbits tend to like staying in the pet room so I only see them running around in total about an hour or two.

I leave my buns cage open all the time, it's hooked up to his play pen so he can choose when it's play time or when it's relaxing time :happyrabbit:

I would like to add that my rabbits are in a 2' x 2' cage and even on the days when they are let out for only 15 minutes, it doesn't affect their health. My rabbits are very healthy and have great muscle structure to them. Once again this is really a personal opinion. Some people want there bunnies out and about. I personally do not like having them out that long outside because of the fact they can catch fleas, mites and really anything. Inside when they get to run around I also have to watch as they aren't litter trained like a house rabbit and they like to spray and poo all over my bedroom and trust me it stinks trying to get pee out of your carpet.

In addition to exercise, there's also the socialization aspect of hanging out with you. Aria has a huge cage for a 4.5 lb bunny, but she's an only rabbit (her own fault--she thumps and boxes other rabbits, the brat), so the only time she gets physical contact and affection is when I let her out. I'm sure the need for that varies a lot from rabbit to rabbit, but for her it's really important to get a couple 20-30 minute cuddle sessions in a day, spread out over the 3-6 hours she's usually out.

Another thing to consider is that some bunnies get brattier when they have more freedom. Even Aria, who is absolutely sweet, got kind of hard to handle early on until we started using a baby gate to keep her confined to the living room/kitchen and out of the bedrooms.

The benefits of having your rabbits out longer would probably be:
1. Better Health
2. Better socialization (handling/petting)
3. When rabbits use enough energy, they are calm and sweet. When they are rowdy, it is near opposite.

The disadvantages
1. Safety (This isn't a problem if you have your rabbit in a controlled play pen indoors with no wires or other chewable things that are unsafe such as plastic)
2. Mess (note: pee can be cleaned up fairly easily and most litter trained rabbits don't have a problem with accidents)

If you have a larger cage for your rabbit you can get away with not having them out for a long period of time, but it's still nice to do. For example: my rabbit's cage is 24inches wide, 24 inches tall, and 48 inches long, a fairly nice sized cage if you ask me. I also have plenty of toys in there for him to entertain himself. But I still keep his cage open nearly all day. He is a very sweet rabbit and his health state is great. The only problems I have with him now are him chewing my carpet, but it's easily fixed by moving him or giving him a new toy to distract him.

As you can see, you can't really have your rabbit out for too long and I would say to get a play pen, attatch it SECURELY to their cage, and let him/her choose when it's play time, and when it's nap time. :bunnyheart

Latest posts

Back