Our sweet Bella passed away!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi @Bella's mom
That is the sweetest message! You are in our prayers too! And it's great to hear your warm words of wisdom We're feeling okay, but mornings are hard and we often look for him at various points in the day. Must be the same for you with sweet little Bella. It's helped us to hear stories from other rabbit owners who have had losses so young... My friend recently lost a whole family of rabbits due to an unknown virus... eases the guilt a bit. Life is so precious!
Sending hugs x

@Lupin you're all in my thoughts and prayers!! We feel you and understand you!!! Thinking of you all! It is comforting knowing others understand what we’re going through!! I wish we never had to understand this pain!! We’re so terribly sorry for your friends loss, I can’t imagine loosing an entire family of rabbits!! I’m thinking of your friend and their entire family , and you and your family, too!! xo!!

border.img

BEYOND THE RAINBOW
As much as I loved the life we had and all the times we played,
I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade
I saw a wondrous image then of a place that's trouble-free
Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.

I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, an on the other side
Were meadows rich and beautiful - lush and green and wide
And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see
Were animals of every sort as healthy as could be
My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new
And I wanted to go run with them, but I had something left to do
I needed to reach out to you

Has anyone here lost their bunny to a spay or neuter? As you all know Bella died when they tried to put her under. I am harbouring so much guilt. Can’t stop crying and feeling responsible! I know they say it’s important to spay and neuter but I feel so very guilty. Up until they gave her the anesthesia she was fine and then she died shortly after! The guilt is just too much . It’s been a week but I still feel shocked and saddened by it all! I hope this guilt will go away!! I think what is shocking is that she was only 7 months old and we had her for less than 5 months.....

border.img

BEYOND THE RAINBOW
As much as I loved the life we had and all the times we played,
I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade
I saw a wondrous image then of a place that's trouble-free
Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.

I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, an on the other side
Were meadows rich and beautiful - lush and green and wide
And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see
Were animals of every sort as healthy as could be
My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new
And I wanted to go run with them, but I had something left to do
I needed to reach out to you

Beautiful words my friend @Bam Bam! I love your poems....they bring some comfort for sure! It’s greatly appreciated!!

I lost my boy bun Zeus during his neuter a few years ago, so I know exactly how you feel. It was heartbreaking. In his case it was due to an underlying e. cuniculi infection that had affected his liver, kidney, heart, lungs, and brain. Unfortunately he didn't show signs of illness and showed no outward symptoms, so I was unaware that he even had a problem. But that didn't stop me from feeling awful and guilty about his death.

I think guilt comes second nature to all of us. You always wonder if there was anything you could have done differently for a better outcome, but the truth is that we can only make choices to the best of our ability based on the information and knowledge that we have, with no guarantee of outcome or whether or not it's the right choice or not. You take the information that you have and try and make the best choice possible. That's really all we can do.

You also have to consider that even if you had made another choice and not done the spay yet, she still could have had some unforeseen health problem that she succumbed to not much later. Or what if she had developed uterine cancer, which in some instances can happen very quickly even in their first few years of life.

The difficulty is that rabbits are a fragile animal, that are prone to health issues becoming serious very easily. Many don't survive their first year of life just because of this. I have a fair bit of rabbit health experience that I've developed over the years of having them as pets, and even then I don't always know what to do and just have to make a choice and hope it's the right one. I've lost rabbits that were young and old, and I have to keep reminding myself that I made the best choice possible with the information I had at the time.

You went into it with good intentions of helping your bun by preventing the possibility of future chances of uterine cancer, which can be a real threat for female rabbits. Other rabbit owners have lost rabbits due to not getting their does spayed and they later developed cancer. So that was the choice you faced, spay now to prevent cancer or wait and risk it developing. Wanting to get her spayed was the right choice for you to make for your bun, just like the neuter was for my boy bun as I wanted him to be able to have a bunny friend and not be alone anymore. We had their health and happiness in mind, it was just a very sad outcome for us both, which unfortunately is a risk with any surgery that is done.

Just remember that even though she was with you a short time, she was well cared for and happy with you. That does matter. That short experience of love and joy makes a difference in that rabbits life. I just try and remind myself that where ever they are now, they are perfectly happy, free of illness and pain. The biggest difficulty is for us dealing with their loss and with missing them.

Last edited:
I just joined this forum but after reading this i had to reply. We lost our Hades (amazing black Flemish) only a month ago. He was only 9 months and our first rabbit. HE WAS OUR HEART AND SOUL. Our hearts hurt daily but our local humane society was able to cremate him and we put him into a fluffy build a bear rabbit so my daughter and still "hug" him occasionally! He was fine one minute then laying on the floor, as my daughter picked him up he took his last breath. Vet believes it was genetic defects in his heart, but we still feel guilty like we could have done something else. We won't EVER stop missing him, but God happened to bring 2 Flemish brothers into our lives, the breeder didn't want to separate them because they were the last 2 and had become so bonded but no one wanted to take 2 bunnies. Well we did!! They can't replace Hades, but we believe he is still here with our new Thor and Loki helping them to adjust. I couldn't imagine life without our house bunnies! They are all so different such personalities, the best we can do is to spend every day showering them with the love they deserve for whatever time they are gifted to us. I pray that your hearts mend in time because I am sure Bella would want her people happy and smiling. She is forever free jumping and frolicking with all our beloved bunnies who passed on much too soon.

I lost my boy bun Zeus during his neuter a few years ago, so I know exactly how you feel. It was heartbreaking. In his case it was due to an underlying e. cuniculi infection that had affected his liver, kidney, heart, lungs, and brain. Unfortunately he didn't show signs of illness and showed no outward symptoms, so I was unaware that he even had a problem. But that didn't stop me from feeling awful and guilty about his death.

I think guilt comes second nature to all of us. You always wonder if there was anything you could have done differently for a better outcome, but the truth is that we can only make choices to the best of our ability based on the information and knowledge that we have, with no guarantee of outcome or whether or not it's the right choice or not. You take the information that you have and try and make the best choice possible. That's really all we can do.

You also have to consider that even if you had made another choice and not done the spay yet, she still could have had some unforeseen health problem that she succumbed to not much later. Or what if she had developed uterine cancer, which in some instances can happen very quickly even in their first few years of life.

The difficulty is that rabbits are a fragile animal, that are prone to health issues becoming serious very easily. Many don't survive their first year of life just because of this. I have a fair bit of rabbit health experience that I've developed over the years of having them as pets, and even then I don't always know what to do and just have to make a choice and hope it's the right one. I've lost rabbits that were young and old, and I have to keep reminding myself that I made the best choice possible with the information I had at the time.

You went into it with good intentions of helping your bun by preventing the possibility of future chances of uterine cancer, which can be a real threat for female rabbits. Other rabbit owners have lost rabbits due to not getting their does spayed and they later developed cancer. So that was the choice you faced, spay now to prevent cancer or wait and risk it developing. Wanting to get her spayed was the right choice for you to make for your bun, just like the neuter was for my boy bun as I wanted him to be able to have a bunny friend and not be alone anymore. We had their health and happiness in mind, it was just a very sad outcome for us both, which unfortunately is a risk with any surgery that is done.

Just remember that even though she was with you a short time, she was well cared for and happy with you. That does matter. That short experience of love and joy makes a difference in that rabbits life. I just try and remind myself that where ever they are now, they are perfectly happy, free of illness and pain. The biggest difficulty is for us dealing with their loss and with missing them.

@JBun, I'm truly sorry for your loss of Zeus. It's so never easy loosing our furbabies. Sorry you also went through this and I understand your pain too! Why they leave us I will never understand. I am slowly coming to terms as to this being the best decision for Bella. We always want what is best for our buns and when it ends up like this, it breaks our hearts.

I had no idea that many don't survive their first year. My husband thinks maybe she had an underlying issue we did not know about. He is most likely right. Still breaks our heart. She will always be in my heart and I will cherish my memories of my girl. She brought us so much love and joy. We did our best to give her a loving home. Deep down I believe she knew how loved she was. I believe this as she gave us so much love and joy
(and many bunny kisses). She was a light and put a smile on everyone's face. I know she is at peace and happy....we on the other hand feel their loss.

I told my kids that at least she did not suffer with cancer as that would have made me feel worse. I also think that even if we waited longer, this still would have occurred. We had Bella for less than 5 months but those months were happy ones filled with excellent memories and laughter...one day these tears will end with happy smile and thoughts. Thanks for your encouraging words and kindness. Means so much to me!! Sorry for your losses xoox. Wishing you all the very best always :)

I just joined this forum but after reading this i had to reply. We lost our Hades (amazing black Flemish) only a month ago. He was only 9 months and our first rabbit. HE WAS OUR HEART AND SOUL. Our hearts hurt daily but our local humane society was able to cremate him and we put him into a fluffy build a bear rabbit so my daughter and still "hug" him occasionally! He was fine one minute then laying on the floor, as my daughter picked him up he took his last breath. Vet believes it was genetic defects in his heart, but we still feel guilty like we could have done something else. We won't EVER stop missing him, but God happened to bring 2 Flemish brothers into our lives, the breeder didn't want to separate them because they were the last 2 and had become so bonded but no one wanted to take 2 bunnies. Well we did!! They can't replace Hades, but we believe he is still here with our new Thor and Loki helping them to adjust. I couldn't imagine life without our house bunnies! They are all so different such personalities, the best we can do is to spend every day showering them with the love they deserve for whatever time they are gifted to us. I pray that your hearts mend in time because I am sure Bella would want her people happy and smiling. She is forever free jumping and frolicking with all our beloved bunnies who passed on much too soon.

Thanks so much @FlemmieLuv4ever for your kind words. Means so much to me. I'm so truly sorry for Hades' death. Your poor daughter must have been devastated. I believe he loved you guys so much that he took his last breathe with you. Sending you all huge hugs. Wow, I had no idea the Humane Society can stuff a stuffy with ashes. That is the sweetest thing ever. Hades will live on forever. Glad that can bring some comfort to your daughter. I am happy you were able to open your heart to two new brothers and such great names too. Thor and Loki are lucky. Our bunnies are incredible and I wish you guys much love and happiness always. Thanks for your kind words! I know all our bunnies are together happy xoox

Oh my God this is now tearing me apart. I am so sorry for your loss, this is so heartbreaking. I just made a post about my own bunny and whether or not it's time to spay her and I truthfully don't trust our vets here because they're not rabbit savvy and now reading this ... This is awful.. We only want what's best for our bunnies.. Why do we have to lose them.. This is so heartbreaking.. May your lovely rabbit rest in peace...

Oh my God this is now tearing me apart. I am so sorry for your loss, this is so heartbreaking. I just made a post about my own bunny and whether or not it's time to spay her and I truthfully don't trust our vets here because they're not rabbit savvy and now reading this ... This is awful.. We only want what's best for our bunnies.. Why do we have to lose them.. This is so heartbreaking.. May your lovely rabbit rest in peace...

@Alice Trancy , I'm sorry you feel torn and that this makes you so sad. It's hard. I am slowly coming to terms that what we did for Bella was in the best interest of her health. I read your post and I see you are from Iraq and that you are worried that you don't have any rabbit savvy vet's. I hope you are able to find a qualified doctor. I know deep down that getting Bella spayed was the best thing for her. It's always a hard decision. I think you should follow your heart. Out of 1000 bunnies that have this surgery about 10 of them pass away, mostly due to underlying issues. I hope you do what is best for your beautiful bunny. Thanks for your kind words. It is greatly appreciated. I pray you can make the best decision for you and your beautiful bunny. Sending you hugs xoox

@Alice Trancy , I'm sorry you feel torn and that this makes you so sad. It's hard. I am slowly coming to terms that what we did for Bella was in the best interest of her health. I read your post and I see you are from Iraq and that you are worried that you don't have any rabbit savvy vet's. I hope you are able to find a qualified doctor. I know deep down that getting Bella spayed was the best thing for her. It's always a hard decision. I think you should follow your heart. Out of 1000 bunnies that have this surgery about 10 of them pass away, mostly due to underlying issues. I hope you do what is best for your beautiful bunny. Thanks for your kind words. It is greatly appreciated. I pray you can make the best decision for you and your beautiful bunny. Sending you hugs xoox

Oh my God, thank you so much, this is so nice of you to be saying all these things and reading my post and everything. Yeah, I truly hope that everything will turn out alright, she's my most precious and I know I will be so destroyed and hurt if something bad happens to her, that's why I'm asking for good doctors and hoping that she's going to be okay. Again, I'm sorry for your loss and I hope she rests in peace. Thank you for your kind words, hugs for you and your beautiful pet/s. ~

It's with a heavy heart that I have to tell you that Bella did not survive her spay surgery. She had complications from the anesthetics and her heart gave out. They did CPR and it was unsuccessful. I am so devastated and heartbroken. My kids and I are inconsolable! We are going to miss her snuggles, her curiosity, her bunny licks, her love and affection. May you RIP our sweet girl and may you hop over Rainbow Bridge and eat all the greens your heart desires!!
If only our furry friends could live as long as we do
I have lost a couple of sweet bunnies and adopted again and I would always find traits from my beloved bunnies in the newly adopted ones
I always like to think my other buns have come back to me..

If only our furry friends could live as long as we do
I have lost a couple of sweet bunnies and adopted again and I would always find traits from my beloved bunnies in the newly adopted ones
I always like to think my other buns have come back to me..

@Joyce Guardado thanks for your sweet words! It’s painful to loose our fur babies. I’m truly sorry for your losses too. Sending you huge hugs! We decided to open our hearts to another furry bunny baby but this time we’re going through the humane society as there are buns that deserve homes and love and they’re already neutered/spayed! Thanks everyone for your love and kindness ❤️

Latest posts

Back