Our sweet Bella passed away!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella's mom

Reaction score
It's with a heavy heart that I have to tell you that Bella did not survive her spay surgery. She had complications from the anesthetics and her heart gave out. They did CPR and it was unsuccessful. I am so devastated and heartbroken. My kids and I are inconsolable! We are going to miss her snuggles, her curiosity, her bunny licks, her love and affection. May you RIP our sweet girl and may you hop over Rainbow Bridge and eat all the greens your heart desires!!

oh No! I am so very sorry for your loss! Sending hugs to you and your children!
I hope that Bella is finding not just meadows of yummy stuff to eat, but also lots of bunny friends to play with. You know.
Binky free, sweetest Bella girl. So very sorry that you are gone prematurely.

I am so so sorry I really didn’t expect that at all :( all my love to you and your family, so sad for you all

Thanks so much everyone for your comforting words. We are so saddened by Bella's untimely death, especially since she's so young. I can't stop crying and feel so guilty. I wish we did not spay her. I know it was the best decision but I wish we didn't! I am so devastated and in tears! I am in disbelief. I will miss her licks, binky's, curiosity and love for us. Bella you were sent to show us love and we miss you terribly. Thanks for your kind words everyone, it is greatly appreciated more than you know!!

@Thumperina
@Blue eyes
@Popsicles
@Joanna

Hindsight does no one any good. You did the right thing, but this time the odds were against you--it just happens that way no matter how hard we work to have a better outcome. Our hearts are breaking too and we are saddened by your loss, it is never easy. Rest in peace little girl and binky free. The best thing you can do is to hang onto all the good memories of all the reasons why you loved her so much in the first place. Time will help to heal the hole in your heart, but the ache never fully goes away.

Thanks so much for your kind words @Nancy McClelland. We are taking it so hard. I only got 2 hours of sleep and haven't had anything to eat in almost a day. I am so bummed out. The kids are still taking it hard but we know eventually the pain will turn into happy memories! We know it was best for her but we are still harbouring guilty feelings for her death. I hope these feelings will eventually subside :( Thanks for your kind words! You are all awesome xo. May Bella and all the bunnies who have departed binky on!!!!!

I am so sorry to hear this. You were doing the right thing though. I adopted a two year old rescue doe back in 2007 and she wasn't spayed. She had the most loving personality and I didn't want to spay her because I feared she would change...or even pass away. Sadly, uterine cancer took her at age twelve--very fast. Now, I wish I had spayed her. It's been a year since her death and I am still very upset.

I insisted that my next bunny be spayed already so I would know her personality and also never have to worry about uterine cancer. So...I adopted Precious (in pic). Very relieved that she is already spayed and will not die from uterine cancer.

Again...so sorry for your loss. Bunnies steal our hearts forever.

Thank you so much for your kind words @Liz Talley. I am truly sorry you lost one of your buns last year. It's a hard thing to go through. I feel bad that your sweet girl ended up with cervical cancer. Our buns mean the world to us. I am happy you were able to open your arms and welcome a new bunny that is already spayed.

I am harbouring so much guilt for Bella's death and I wish I hadn't spayed her. At her pre op our rabbit savvy vet said she's in optimal health. We took awesome care of her. We played with her every day, fed her greens, little pellets and tons of Timothy hay. She loved us unconditionally and we loved her unconditionally. I am harbouring guilt as up to her anesthetic she was awesome and doing so well. I can't stop crying as I felt like I should have waited. She was supposed to come through this in flying colours and now we are utterly heartbroken and I can't stop crying. She was a little over 7 months old so she still was a baby. I don't know if I will ever get over this guilt I feel. You guys have been such a comfort and I thank you!

We are so sorry about Bella and sending hugs. We lost our beloved 5 month old rabbit Lupin, unexpectedly last night.Thursday nightm We came In from a swim and he was fitting violently in the cage and died on way to vets. He couldn't use his back legs and one eye was enlarged and one small. My kids and I like you are in incredible emotional pain today as we didn't even get a hint of anything like this happening. How do we start to feel better? Like you guys I have guilt too because he'd nibbled a tiny bit of houseplant and Been in the garden so I feel I did something wrong that he ate something (he'd nibbled that plant once before and no effects. It was up high.. He was like Bella a source of comfort joy and affection and we are so sad that his life was short and feel guilty. Bella sounded like a great rabbit. Lupin was so friendly and affectionate and we shared love everyday. Hope you and your kids feel better soon. We are heartbroken alongside you.

I am so so sorry. I know what it feels like to lose a rabbit. My heart breaks for you and your family. Bella seemed like a very lovely bunny.

We are so sorry about Bella and sending hugs. We lost our beloved 5 month old rabbit Lupin, unexpectedly last night.Thursday nightm We came In from a swim and he was fitting violently in the cage and died on way to vets. He couldn't use his back legs and one eye was enlarged and one small. My kids and I like you are in incredible emotional pain today as we didn't even get a hint of anything like this happening. How do we start to feel better? Like you guys I have guilt too because he'd nibbled a tiny bit of houseplant and Been in the garden so I feel I did something wrong that he ate something (he'd nibbled that plant once before and no effects. It was up high.. He was like Bella a source of comfort joy and affection and we are so sad that his life was short and feel guilty. Bella sounded like a great rabbit. Lupin was so friendly and affectionate and we shared love everyday. Hope you and your kids feel better soon. We are heartbroken alongside you.

OMG I’m so terribly sorry for your loss! It breaks my heart that you and your family had to endure that pain!! Sometimes I wonder why things like these happen! You and your beautiful family are in my prayers and thoughts @Lupin . I have no words to comfort you! Lupin sounded like an awesome bunny and I’m utterly heartbroken that he left this world so young!! Just know that my family and I are thinking of you guys and we feel your pain! Just like us we understand your guilt and we know that both our situations were not our fault but we both can’t help feeling guilty! I pray one day our feelings of guilt will turn into memories of happiness!! Thinking of you guys and you’re all in our prayers and thoughts! I like to think that our Bella and your sweet Lupin are binkying together over rainbow bridge!!

O
I am so so sorry. I know what it feels like to lose a rabbit. My heart breaks for you and your family. Bella seemed like a very lovely bunny.

Thanks kindly @SydneyHasBunnies for your kind words! She was the absolute sweetest bun ever! That is why we feel so guilty!! She was in optimal health and we feel like we should have waited! I think the stress of it coppled with the anesthesia was too much for her little heart to endure! I’m sorry you endured loss as well! It’s so difficult to understand why these precious buns die and the hole they leave in your heart! We only had her for 5 months but the joy and love she showed felt like we had her for a long time! She was a source of joy for us! Thanks so much for your kind words!!

I am so sorry for your loss! You gave her a wonderful life, and you were doing the right thing. Female bunnies that aren’t spayed have an extremely high chance of developing cancer (like upwards of 70%), so deciding not to spay them is a huge risk. Prayers to your family ❤️

Hi my friend, @Lupin!

Just wanted to check up on you. We (my family and I ) are thinking of you guys and hope you are doing as well as you can. Thinking of you all. Such a hard loss to endure!!!!

I am so sorry for your loss! You gave her a wonderful life, and you were doing the right thing. Female bunnies that aren’t spayed have an extremely high chance of developing cancer (like upwards of 70%), so deciding not to spay them is a huge risk. Prayers to your family ❤️

@AmandaCat,

Thanks so much for your comment. It means a lot to us. We are devastated that our precious Bella died but I am happy that she never had cancer. Thanks so much for your prayers. This community is so loving and welcoming. BTW, your beautiful bun looks so much like my beautiful Bella. Enjoy your beautiful bun! xoox

Hi @Bella's mom
That is the sweetest message! You are in our prayers too! And it's great to hear your warm words of wisdom We're feeling okay, but mornings are hard and we often look for him at various points in the day. Must be the same for you with sweet little Bella. It's helped us to hear stories from other rabbit owners who have had losses so young... My friend recently lost a whole family of rabbits due to an unknown virus... eases the guilt a bit. Life is so precious!
Sending hugs x

I am so sorry for your loss. Bella was a gorgeous lop. I had 4 lops and I promise you she will meet all our bunnies over the Rainbow Bridge
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to RainbowBridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross RainbowBridge together....

Author unknown...

border.img

I am so sorry for your loss. Bella was a gorgeous lop. I had 4 lops and I promise you she will meet all our bunnies over the Rainbow Bridge
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to RainbowBridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross RainbowBridge together....

Author unknown...

border.img

Awe thank you so much. This poem put tears in my eyes, so very touching and beautiful. I pray our beautiful lop bunnies are together frolicking over Rainbow Bridge. The words in this lovely poem bring me joy knowing that one day we'll be reunited with our furry babies. Thanks so very much for your comforting words and kindness, this helps ease our pain. I am sorry for the loss of your beautiful lops too xoox. I hope our beautiful lops are together peacefully. Thanks so very much for putting a HUGE smile on my face! I needed this. Bless you @Bam Bam

Latest posts

Back