our rabbit clan (6 bunnies!!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerchick

Reaction score
for the last 2 months i have been fighting a bout of pasturella that has started amongst all my bunnies... 3 of them seem to kick the virus pretty fast. but the other 3 were ill for quite sometime.

Our sweet little mini rex boy Moose, whom we got from the humane society in Toronto is having some serious problems. i have taken him to the vets pretty much a dozen times and sought a second opinion finally from another vet a week ago. not that i would ever consider cost against my rabbits health, but things have gotten really tight and its frustrating because the vet has been very passive with me. she keeps saying "just wait and see...." well i've waited and seen, and come back 10 times?!

his eye has something growing inside the lense, and i was told that this is caused from bacteria and and infection from his previous surgeries. (he was abandoned and another animal ripped his neck open causing multiple abcesses. but hes been "abcess" free for 4 months now) its growing fast and pushing the lense of his eye out. i've been told by both vets that it will just rupture and drain and the lense will dry up and he just won't have an eye or eye sight (not that he has that now really anyway) and i have pain meds and antibiotics for him when it happens.

however his problems don't stop there, he also has "sore hocks" on his right foot, and seems to sit back on his heels always (this is where its sore) however he lives on my living room hardwood floor, in a pen theres no reason for him to have sore hocks none of my other rabbits have this and he is he smallest one (according to breed) and he also recently randomly developed a HOLE in the side of his other foot which has my vets baffled. it bled for a couple days and its starting to close up. it seems like hes possibily abcessing in his feet. hes still eating and drinking, and as of now his eye still hasn't ruptured....i am starting to think that if his quality of life declines we might have to put the poor boy down.

Also, our newest addition to the bunny family, Millie our little dwarf hotot who is the size of the palm of your hand is having problems as well. she came to us with diareha and i figured she didn't have much time after that. shes been seen by a vet and the vet can't find anything wrong with her and his week shes stopped eating and drinking so i've resorted to force feeding her. she began having normal poo but its really tiny, she just sits in her house curled up always, its like shes just given up on life. :( she is a daily struggle, and we've just been hoping and praying eventually meds will work and she will get better, but as for now it just doesn't look good.

now for some more cheerful updates...

Last night Mooses bunny wife wanda got out of her cage and ran around my house all night. i got up in the night and discovered her, and i had to chase her for a good half an hour. she'd let me get close to grab her then she'd thump and run away. she has always enjoyed a good "chase" and was doing binky's the whole way lol.

my "home boy" Hank, my 7 month old new zealand is 17 pounds now. he is such a big fuzzy boy. lately him and his bunny wife Sophie bonded with my flemish Dayl. and the three of them are a riot! Dayl is 4 months old now and is 23 pounds. she is HUGE. she is much bigger than hank, and twice the size of Sophie (sophie is a holland lop mix) but she is a big goof ball. she always bugs and encourages the two to play with her and they are always snuggling!

Hank at 7 months old
008-45.jpg

Hank at 5 months old
001ed.jpg

Dayl
001-44.jpg

moose and wanda
009-36.jpg

007-36.jpg

Dayl and my friends dog hanging out
010-40.jpg

011-36.jpg

014-38.jpg

038-13.jpg

my dog and dayl
037-13.jpg

002-40.jpg

030-18.jpg

032-15.jpg

033-14.jpg

002-38.jpg

007-30.jpg

012-31.jpg

my dog and millie
001-36.jpg

thats my current cage set up for 5 rabbits. the 6th is in another room for quarentine :S

i have tons of pics but those were the cutiest <3
012-30.jpg

What a beutiful family! I can't believe how huge Hank and Dayl are! I'm used to my little girls, 4.5 and 6 pounds. I don't think I could handle such a handful. Another great thing about rabbits, there is a size for everyone :)

Latest posts

Back