Our new girl!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
As most of you know, Morgan was going to go down to a rabbit rescue 2 hours away to have bunny dates with 7 female rabbits. BUT....

I responded to this Craigslist add...
"Bunny to good home, comes with cageI've had my rabbit for a few months, got her as a young bunny and it looks like she's about full grown now. She's very cute and will sleep in your lap if she's been able to run around that day. I got her during the summer but now that school has started, I just don't have the time to take care of her anymore. I'm home very little and therefore it doesn't give her much more than 15 minutes to run around the house each day. I feel horrible for having to get rid of her, but much worse that I know she just sits in her cage all day--that isn't fair. So I want someone who has the time to put into her and will really love her and take care of her. With her I will give you her cage, any toys she has, her food and hay, water bottle and cage shavings. Better still is if you have a farm with other rabbits and she doesn't need to be in a small cage at all. Please only respond if you are serious. I am asking a $20 rehoming fee so I know you are serious. You can email, or call or text ********. Thanks so much! "

I have been emailing/waiting on a phone call from a girl since Sunday. The girl kept saying she'd call, then she never did. I finally got a random call from her today around 3pm. She said she'd be at my house in a half an hour :shock:. I had to quickly scarf my lunch & make a NIC pen really quick out in the garage.

We did a little bunny date with her & Morgan...and it went super good. I was on the phone with Alicia (JadeIcing) pretty much the entire time and she said everything sounded good! I told myself I'd go with my gut about this girl...and my gut felt great :D! So, we are no longer heading the 2 hour drive to the closest rabbit rescue. Instead, we now have the precious bunny girl from CL :).

She is approximately 5 months old & her name is "Molly", says the former owner. I really did not want a girl bun so young because Morgan is turning 4 next June, but we will deal with the age difference in the future, when life happens.

Anyway....the girl pulled up with a tiny bird cage in the front seat of her car. I was instantly sickened because I thought that was the rabbit's cage! It was only a quickie "carrier", apparently. The bird cage was so tiny that the bun could barely turn around without a struggle.

My goodness when I first saw the bun I thought she was adorable! I thought she looked a lot like SnowyShiloh's Rory! I instantly could tell she was Mini Rex/Holland Lop. I am pretty much sure that she is. The girl said she got her from a farm for $5. I wonder what kind of "farm" is breeding rabbits & selling them for $5?! grrr. She looks a lot like some rabbits I have seen before go into the local shelter (which rarely happens, but still).

After the little bonding session, I followed the girl home and she gave me some gross "Small World" rabbit pellets from Walmart, a nasty bag of Kaytee Timothy hay, and an ever-so-lovely bag of PINE bedding :disgust:. The rabbit's cage was super tiny. I wouldn't even house a rat inside of it, well....maybe as an "oldie" or "hospital" cage. Apon further notice....I noticed cat litter in the tiny tupperware-like "litter box". The cage also had some mold in in the spot where the pee build up was :grumpy:.

Once we got to the car & loaded up the rabbit, I let her say her goodbyes and promised I'd keep in touch with her & that she could visit the bun anytime she wanted, since I am moving practically in the same area as her next month. I could tell she loved the little bun, but just wasn't educated about her care.

On my way home the pine smell nearly knocked me out. Her cage was pretty gross & there was a lovely corner pilled up with pee & poo. I really should have taken a picture of it for you guys! The cat litter that was in the cage reaked, too...it had such a strong perfume smell that gave me a head ache :(.

Oh, and I got the girl & her "stuff" for free :).

Now...she needs a name, a spay, a NIC cage, and some new toys :bunnydance:. I plan to make a NIC cage tomorrow, but for now she is in her tiny cage that I fixed up for her. I wanted her to settle in a little bit before taking away her "home". I think I'll buy a few hanging bird toys from PetSmart tomorrow, as she likes that hanging apple stick toy that came with her in her cage.

As for the spay....I'm going to call tomorrow to see when my vet can get her in. I think I will have her done about the first week of December. I'm also having to neuter my MIL's male cat that I am fostering until 2013 the first week of December, so I might as well get it all done then.

You guys probably want pictures, right :p?

4078849593_23e3f73bf5.jpg

4078851631_f0cff1a3bb.jpg

4079611782_533efaa1a1.jpg

4079613542_d62a730ebc.jpg

4078857323_ec3ba8cc64.jpg

4079619290_1c8bcbd55e.jpg

4079621078_f0b10c8a99.jpg

4079624930_2bed36fa4e.jpg

4079626740_457e7b51bd.jpg

4078864973_70691539f6.jpg

4078859423_6564347958.jpg

Overall, she is a very sweet girl :). She pancakes & looooves her pets. I can tell she is super curious and wants to come out of her cage every time I open the door. Her and Morgan are very interested in each other....he has been laying by her cage :hearts.

MORGIE gets a wife...woo hoo!

I can hardly wait till they are bonded and we get more pics...

how cute!

and yes, she does look like a mini rex/holland lop mix

have you thought about any names at all?

she looks like a roxi (yes, with an 'i') to me, but i'm sleepy and a little loopy with it lol

but i can say she doesn't really look like a molly to me

anyway, she is cute! can't wait for more photos!

In the third picture from the bottom she looks like she's thinking "get outz my face dawg" lol I love it.

She's absolutely adorable. Can't wait for more pics!

undergunfire wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
If not for the ear I would think you finaly kidnapped Gabriel.
Hrm....no wonder I love the looks of this little lady?

Don't you worry...my Gabie is next on my list.
Nah...you have one that looks enough like MY Gabie...so he's coming to Texas once he's done recovering from his neuter...

Aww what a pretty baby! And she does look like Rory! Especially in the 4th picture, Rory gets that exact same "worried" expression on his face sometimes. It looks like she has ears like him too. Can she put her ears up or down or airplaned depending on how she's feeling? I think it's so cute when they can do it!

So, CONGRATS! Morgan looks so sweet and I'm sure he'll be thrilled to have a lady friend! As for her name, I personally adore Molly (my favorite girl's name), plus it goes with your M theme. Sophia is pretty too. I already knew Rory's name before I got him, but it took me a while to name each of my bunnies. I spent so much time thinking about bunny names! Skyler and Ned even had their names changed (Skyler after a month and Ned after about a week) because I thought of something different. It's always a relief to me when the right name is decided upon.

I love her ear movements haha she looks like a smoochy girl already, I think you have done well and Morgan will be very happy.

I like the name Molly too, I think Molly and Morgan sound good together... but this is coming from the girl who named her second rabbit Lulu to go with Lopsy (already named).

I like the name (Sophia or Sophie) - congratulations to you and Morgan... looks like your move to NY was delayed for a really good reason - to rescue this bunny!

Denise

I like Moxie. One of the definations of "moxie" is the ability to overcome difficulty with courage and strength.

Or Blossom....I like that, too!

Congrats on your new baby! I am so glad to hear you helped her and got her out of those poor and unacceptable housing conditions before it was too late.

As far as names go, I like Moxie and Blossom like someone else has suggested. Sophia and Molly are nice... but I do not feel they fit her. What do you think of the name Pebbles? Not fairly original, but I think it could compliment her markings well (she looks like she has pebbles all over her!). Oh! I thought of a creative name... Birdy/Birdie! It may sound strange, but considering her story, I think it is actually the most fitting of them all. If I can think of any more names, I will be sure to post them for the both of you girls.

I'm glad you got the bunny out of those conditions. I wonder how people can say they love their animal when they won't even do a little research. :grumpy:

Anyway, she's very pretty.

Thanks, you guys!

I agree with you, Jess....all it takes is a little research. I can't imagine how anyone could get a pet and not do research on it to see how to take care of it properly. I mean, I am sure we have all done "impulse buys" (like what happened to this little girl), but you just go home later and read, read, read!

I gave the little girl a piece of Special K Blueberry cereal (my buns all get a flake once a week because they LOVE it)...and she was soo cautious taking it. I wonder if she has ever had treats before!

Well, I will call my vet today and schedule her spay :). I'd like to do it sooner, but I'm getting super low on dog & cat food, so I might as well stock up while it is all on sale right now.

Latest posts

Back