Our new bunnies – Rex and Ruby blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove7782

Reaction score
Last evening we both got two baby bunny’s home. They are so cute and adorable :). We have loads of questions:? ….. so we would be using this forum to post our questions and request all yall help to understand our babies better….plzzzz :innocent:)

1. We named them Rex and Ruby, how will they recognize their name?:?
  2. Rex is 4 months old and Ruby is 2 months, iam now feeding them hay. When can I start with veggies?:confused2:
  3. When is Spaying / Neutering procedure performed! We have an appointment with the vet on Saturday, will that be fine !!:p

Tnxxxxxx:pray:

Ohhhh we are at work ,but our mind is just on our bunny babies..Hope they are fine...Just counting mins to be back home with them!!!!!!!:biggrin::D

bunnylove7782 wrote:
Last evening we both got two baby bunny’s home. They are so cute and adorable :). We have loads of questions:? ….. so we would be using this forum to post our questions and request all yall help to understand our babies better….plzzzz :innocent:) Congratulations on your new pets.
  1. We named them Rex and Ruby, how will they recognize their name?:? I have only one rabbit & she doesn't recognize her name, so I don't know if they will. Pointing & other hand gestures work, though.
  2. Rex is 4 months old and Ruby is 2 months, iam now feeding them hay. When can I start with veggies?:confused2: Not quite yet. In another month you might give Rex a bit of greens [romaine maybe] , but watch his pebbles & stop if they change.
  3. When is Spaying / Neutering procedure performed! We have an appointment with the vet on Saturday, will that be fine !!:p A little older for this as well. However, you probably should keep them separated until at least one of them is neutered, just to make sure they don't become parents.
Tnxxxxxx:pray:

Um I hate to say it but Rex and ruby should be a bit older before getting altered. If Rex is spraying time to get the snip but if not save yourself some time and wait just a bit. The vet will tell you when it's time to go snip but Ruby definetly won't need spaying at two months old. At least 4 months or even later is the best time...
JJ

@JiGoesbounce : hey noo,we are just taking to the vet for a general check up this weeknd.Depending on the vetz suggestion we would get them operated accordingly. But thanks for letting us know :):mrsthumper:

Hea, we have one more question...as of now we are giving only flower hay with dandelion petals (from witte molen - natures select); is that all....can i substitute it with anything else!!!! Pls advise.

The vet should know about food. I have no idea what is available in Bahrain, but they should if possible be eating alfalfa hay, which has the calcium that growing bunnies need. Generally they shouldn't be eating dandelion [dried or not] or any greens at that age, but if it doesn't give them diarrhea, it's probably ok to continue. Don't do any sudden changes though. Add some new to the old & phase out the old.

You need to separate them both, for starters. Rex is old enough (assuming he is a boy) to procreate and be altered. Ruby (assuming she's a girl) is young, but its not unheard of for a 8 week old to get pregnant, and the act of mating will get her pregnant, as bunnies don't have "seasons". She can get spayed at about 5-6 months, but she can be put back together with Rex 1 month after he's been altered. Any time before that and she'll get pregnant.

Rex is old enough for greens, start with Romaine (never iceberg, its all water and no nutrition). After about a week, you can introduce others, one at a time, and watch for poo problems. There's a list of good veggies here on RO, under the care section :)

Ruby cannot have veggies until she is about 4 months as well, *unless* you know for a fact that her mother was fed varied vegetables while pregnant.

They need hay, you'll have to do some googling, or contact your vet or wherever you bought the bunnies from to find where you can buy it. Timothy is good, Orchard works as well, even Oat hay. I mix all 3 :)

What pellets are they eating? Make sure there aren't any treats in it, sunflower seeds and such, they are marketed for rabbits but they are really unhealthy for them.

What are they living in? 2 bunnies need a lot of space, store bought cages are much too small. Are you planning on litter training them?

Man, they are just hogging on the hay all day long lmao :) We slowly introduced a small quantity of carrot, extremely small qty of apple and some normal grass; no complaints till now.

We also have a bottle of water hanging on the hutch, yday we applied some apple on to it and when it goes for it, we squeeze water. They don't seem to understand :))) lol...How do we get them realize the water bottle? Bcos in summer here they need loads of water !!!!

@Onetwothree: Hey buddy ,Thanx a lot for ur advice.At present we are not giving them any pellets.Its only Hay and water.

We got them a 1 meter long cage .As of now they have pretty decent space to hop and move about .

And yes we want to litter train them.We first noticed where they shat more and kept the litter tray in that edge of the cage with hay on it.However we have nt been very successful in that .They still pee and poop all over the cage.We have tried moving the poop everytime to the litter tray,still no use :)Plz suggest us something to train them efficiently for this so that we can leave them outside their cage to play about.

N today we left the cage open and Rex came out by himself and completely enjoyed being outside for the 1st time.In between we noticed him jumping with his hind legs
:biggrin2::D...Guess dat was his binky act indicating his happiness :)

At their age, they need unlimited source of alfalfa based pellets to get the proper nutrients.

Do you use bedding in the rest of the cage?

@onetwothree: Yep we are using Benelux Wooden chips houtvezel as bedding for them and also put in some shredded paper to make it warm and cosy for them.

We are just wondering on how to litter train them :confused2::?:litterhealthy:

I asked because if there is bedding/litter everywhere, they wont know what you want :) Remove the bedding/blankets/paper from everywhere you don't want them to go, and put the litter in the litter box where you do want them to go.

If they have wire on the bottom of the cage, you can put down cardboard (not shiny/un waxed) or buy some cheap linoleum at the hardware store and fit it onto the bottom.

Their hutch does not have wire @ the bottom. It's a plastic base, we spread a newspaper at the base, some deodorant, wooden chips and finally hay on the top, this gives them a good cushion.

Hmmm we thought wooden chips bedding is to keep them cosy and to keep absorbing the pee. Is that the reason they pee and poop everywhere!! If i put them only in the litter place..what do i put at the base of the hutch??

You put nothing :) they can sit and lay comfortably on the plastic base. Once they are used to going in the box, you can try to add a fleece blanket, but some bunnies will mark that too. So yeah, thats why they pee and poop everywhere :)

I wouldn't use deodorant either, rabbits will tend to eat the litter and that stuff is toxic.

ETA- Put hay in the litter box, on one side. That'll encourage them to use it as well. Don't worry about it being gross, its what bunnies do :)

Hmm Day 4; Today we are talking them to the vet. I was preparing the box this morning and was doing it near their cage. I felt that they realized that they are gonna be moved and gave me that look with fear....r they that smart or am i exaggerating :p

When i open the cage Rex jumps out instantly, after a while when i force him back to the hutch, he just could not take it..lol...he tries to bite the opening, runs around a bit to look for another way to get out, sits for a while with a angry face and since there is no other way gets on with its munching.. :biggrin: Their behavior is so **** funny :D We both enjoy the whole day just watching them :big wink::sickbunny::adorable:

BTW i want to ask friends here something about Ruby; she is approx 2 months old..and all day she just keeps munching the hay :? Is this normal or do we have to be worried about it..Rex stops after some time...but with Ruby, their is no questions of stopping..like its never tomorrow :anyone::biggrin::biggrin:

Latest posts

Back