Our long bunny story...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nattyw

Reaction score
Very keen to post some pic's of my boys, have to get them off the camera!!! :)

Well our bunny saga went like this, about a week and a half ago I bought from our local petshop what I thought was two female bunnys (there was x4 in one cage supposedly all female), terribly cute, one ginger and one grey/brown & white.

A week later I popp'd in there with my boys (real kids!) as I knew the breeder had more rabbits and maybe she had bought more in, and she had, there was more and they had them organised in fem & male cages. Problem was the two rabbits which were in the cage with mine (all fem)were now in a male cage!!! So made me think, well what are the real sex of my bunnys?

So went home, did some research on the internet to check out sexing etc, and next morning checked them out - and from my opinion they were boy and girl! Rang the petshop and said what had happened, and the owner rang me back - he came up to our house to double check and yep I was right! Poppy was a boy and Daisy was a girl... he asked which one I was most attached too and I said Poppy - and he said so you will have two boys then!

My husband was away for work so couldn't discuss things properly with him but decided to swap Daisy for a boy bunny, went to the shop and picked out a little white fella with some colouring on him round the eyes and elswhere. We couldn't do the swap that day as the shop was closing early... so we had Daisy for one more night then I took her in and swapped her over, I felt a little sad taking her in but was OK with taking Astro home...

My husband came home that night and we discussed things properly about what happened with the rabbits, he told me he liked Daisy and I should have kept her!!! I didn't know what to do!!! I spent most of the night awake and upset that I had given her away and by the morning was determined to get her back... I went by the shop after dropping my boys at school & kindy and I couldn't see her in the window. Went home and rang the shop when they were sposed to open, rang several times but no one there - went down in the car with Astro to see what was happening and there was a sign on the door 'closed today', and again no Daisy in the window.

I managed to get hold of the owner again and he said yes two rabbits had been sold the day before - oh no!!! So unlucky that Daisy was sold the day I took her back and to someone who bought another female rabbit who looked like my Poppy - so they got the combination of rabbits I wanted!!! I am still annoyed at not getting Daisy back.... and sad. :(

Finding it a bit hard to bond with Astro and Poppy & Daisy had a lovely little thing going, so lovely together - I feel so mean at breaking them up - and very sad I couldn't get her back...

Well thats my long story!!! :(

Oh and - the main reason I decided to switch them was the cost of 'fixing' them - Ithought hubby is not going to be keen on that cost - I had rang the vet to find out - so thought if we have same sex we can avoid it but I have since found out it is something that will have to be done anyway - doesn't matter.... so am totally bummed about it all... :(

Congrats on your new bunnies! :)

Hopefully they won't fight when they mature. I'm sure Astro will warm up to you. Give it time and you'll have two new best friends!

Looking forward to the photos!

Thanks! We had a nice time today, he is a little timid and easily scared, where as Poppy is much more confident and already seems to come to his name or my voice - not sure which! Astro will come to me though if I am say lying on the floor with him and he hops up to me for a sniff... and will let you pat him.

If both males are in the same cage fighting will eventually start, Because males become very territorial, Best to separate them now and after you have them neutered you can try and bond them.

When they reach about four or five months they will start to tear eachother up, so if you are going to leave them together you better have the second cage ready for when they do. They will have to live separately for awhile, be neuteured and then re-bonded. :)

Latest posts

Back