Our "Fluffy" Girl

Discussion in 'General Rabbit Discussion' started by mjpeter, Jan 28, 2014.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1

mjpeter

mjpeter

mjpeter

Jenn

We are adopting our first rabbit, an 8 month old spayed female Dutch this week. She's the sweetest baby....likes being held and carried etc....

She is a bit overweight. I think her last home free fed her and didn't run and excercise her enough. I'm going to make an appt with the vet concerning this, but I know vets don't always have the right info concerning nutrition.

She's on a less than fantastic pellet from her previous owner, and we will switch her to Oxbow Adult slowly. We also have some varieties of fresh hays available. What would you suggest for dietary guidelines? She's probably 4 or 5 lbs...I didn't check her exact weight, but was told she needed to lose weight from the rescue from her visit to the vet. She's not "obese"...just a bit thick. :bunnysuit:

Should we wait to introduce greens until she's loss her extra weight?

Thanks!!

I'll post pics when we have our own and the adoption is final....bringing her home on Wednesday!!

2. Jan 28, 2014 #2

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

Congratulations! She sounds like a real sweetie.
    Will be anxious to see photos!!

:welcome1

3. Jan 28, 2014 #3

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

[​IMG]Our Checkered Giant was a tad heavy too, so per my vet I cut out pellets entirely and she just gets veggies an hay--looks more like a bunny and less like a blob now.

4. Jan 28, 2014 #4

mjpeter

mjpeter

mjpeter

Jenn

Thanks!

We're so excited...she's already spayed, litter box trained, and is an absolute dream.

We've been having fun building her NIC castle. She'll get a lot more exercise here than in her old, little cage. She's so sweet that I'm going to have to make an effort to put her down for her own good! :blushan:

5. Jan 28, 2014 #5

daisyandparsley7

daisyandparsley7

daisyandparsley7

My dutch needed to loose weight too. I was also told from my vet to cut pellets out or at least go down to 1/8 of a cup a most. He was getting 1/4 and not enough greens. 3 weeks later on a tablespoon of pellets, more greens and unlimited hay totally changed him and he now weighs about 4.5 pounds instead of over 5. Congrats by the way!

6. Jan 28, 2014 #6

mjpeter

mjpeter

mjpeter

Jenn

Thanks for the advice!! While I'm waiting for her vet appointment I'll introduce more greens and cut the amount of pellets she's getting.

7. Jan 28, 2014 #7

GK44

GK44

GK44

She sounds cute... love to see pics after you bring her home :)

8. Jan 29, 2014 #8

mjpeter

mjpeter

mjpeter

Jenn

We're bringing her home tomorrow!! :party:

Her name is going to be "Bella." It's not the name that she came with, but I think it fits her. I let my 10 year old pick it out, and I think he did a great job.

pani likes this.