Our bunny’s luxury condo (Picture-heavy!!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molianne

Reaction score
Hey there!

I just wanted to share with you guys the cage my boyfriend and I built for our rabbit. We used the NIC idea, but took it to the next level...

This is what the cage looked like at the beginning, when I could stand straight in it with my head just touching the top:

01.jpg

This is what the cage looks like now that it’s all done:

00-1.jpg

It’s easy to clean and we can reach the bunny quite easily, no matter on which level or step they are.

This is the cage when it’s closed. Notice the small bunny-sized door?

00.jpg

That small door was made using two panels of NIC, one being part of the cage and cut-through, and the other one cut to fit the hole and attached using tie-wraps. We’ve had to sand where we have made the cuts, because it was very dangerous for both the bunny and our hands.

14-3.jpg

And we used a left-over piece of wood, covered it with tissue and attached some brackets to it to become the exit ramp:

14-6.jpg

You can see how and where we cut the panels (you can also see that we bunny-proofed the outside corners of the cage, and we used the same material to make the inside corners of the cage uneatable):

00-3.jpg

The “human-size” door is kept shut using two hooks (and do notice the wheels; they are just so useful!):

00-2.jpg

We built it one level at a time (you can see here that the top one was only begun). We used spruce wood for about 90-95% of the cage, we did have to use pine :

02.jpg

We used some brackets to secure each level:

06-1.jpg

This is how the NIC panels are fixed to the wood frame (you can also see that we only painted the outside wood). I’m also very proud of the fact that we have not had a single piece of wood cut by anyone else then us :) :

07.jpg

Here’s an almost finished look. We were putting back the NIC panels on the cage (we’ve done that a million times...!). We tiled the whoooole cage and used epoxy grout to be sure that no pee would touch the wood so the cage will be good for years and years. We chose carefully the tile so it wouldn’t be too glossy/slippery. The tiles we have here have a porous feel, but they are not so our bunny have a good grip when hopping and running and no pee nor any liquid will be absorbed by the tiles.:

09.jpg

We attached the ramps in order to still have them a bit movable (we wanted an easy-to-clean cage). And the added pieces of wood on the ramp are cut in pine wood (and yes, Pooky chews on it, but not often at all):

18-1.jpg

18-2.jpg

And here’s a happy bunny discovering her new cage-to-be, halfway up to the second level...:

18.jpg

... and on her favorite step of all (the highest):

22.jpg

Small bonus: we didn’t really know what to use as food bowls, and everything at pet shops was too big. We were shopping for that purpose when we ended up in a kitchen supply store and found a chocolate fondue kit. The bowls are just perfect for the cage and Pooky, and the best part: it only cost 14 $ for the whole kit which included four bowls!

19.jpg

I think I’ve said all I had to say about our cage... If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

On a side-note, our new bunny is getting along well with Pooky and he went into the condo with her for the first time last week; he really enjoys it as much as Pooky does!

Until next time, bunny lovers and cage-builders!

~Molianne

Jealous!!! :)

I'm on a quest as we speak to either build a new cage or buy one. Im very envious of yours. I agree with Orlena....can I buy one from you ;)

Lol If we ever were to sell that kind of cage, the postage fees would be horribly high! And I know about the jealousy: a few bunny-owner friends would want one too!

That looks fantastic, I was actuly drawing out plans for my up coming bunny cage project that included the NIC grids with a wooden frame (just wire seemed blah) though nothing this extraordinary. But you did give me a few ideas. Thank you for sharing!

What an absolutely awesome, well thought out set up for your bunnies.

Thanks so much for sharing step by step how this came to be. I love the ramps.

Again it's awesome. Most important your bunnies think it's awesome too, which is what it's all about.

K:)

This is very impressive! Over the next two weeks, I am going to be working on my custom rabbit cage. I originally was going to use NIC, but I decided to go with fencing instead and use the NIC I have as a play-pen fence because I was so convinced it wouldn't work out.

You sure proved me wrong! That looks like it would last for years. Excellent job!

Wow!!! That is awesome!! Super jealous! We've been talking of building one, I think something like that would be too small, I don't think my rabbit could fit through the holes, actually I'm not sure if she'd climb up lol that's really an awesome cage!

OMG! I am currently in the process of building Batman's cage and I just LOVE the tile idea :D I am definitely going to steal that ;). I have the frame built kind of like yours But only the front will be mostly wire and the sides will have little peek a boo windows. Building your own bunny cage sure is fun huh? :D

All I can say is WOW. That is one Beautiful cage.

That will be great once their bonded too. It's so big the can have their alone time.

How long did it take you to build it?

What did you put on the cage wall behind the hay? I put flexable cuttingboards but the hay still makes a mess on the other side.

Thanks for sharing.

Great job.

Susan:)

SOOOSKA wrote:
All I can say is WOW. That is one Beautiful cage.

That will be great once their bonded too. It's so big the can have their alone time.

How long did it take you to build it?

What did you put on the cage wall behind the hay? I put flexable cuttingboards but the hay still makes a mess on the other side.

Thanks for sharing.

Great job.

Susan:)
It took us about 2 to 3 months to build because we didn't rush it (and we were working our jobs too!). But if you'd have, say, a 2-week vacation and dedicated it to cage-building, you'd have enough time. I have to say that the tile-cutting was a precise and time-consuming step...!

Also, we build the cage with no plans drawn. All we had were our ideas and my boyfriend's head to figure everything out (crazy, I know...! I tried to talk him into drawing something, but there was nothing I could do lol)

And about the hay dispenser, it's actually made with a back panel so that hay stays in the cage (we had ordered two at a local petshop store that didn't keep it in stock):
SDC12506.jpg

SDC12505.jpg

I actually never seen those anywhere else on the internet or petshops except in a very few cage kits that included one.
There is still some hay that find its way out of the cage, but it's not messy at all when compared to the out-of-the-cage hay dispenser we had before!

Thanks for your questions ;)
~Molianne

Man, you have one lucky bun! And I love the hay holder thingy. My buns always throws his out of the cage

Latest posts

Back