Our bunny’s luxury condo (Picture-heavy!!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how did you attach the grid panels to the wood frame? would you recommend attempting this with (4) 24 x 60 panels so it would be more sturdy as it goes up?

great cage! I used vinyl tiles to make mine lighter and easier to cut to fit. I am no where near as creative or good with woodworking as this, i like it a lot.

jap08m wrote:
how did you attach the grid panels to the wood frame? would you recommend attempting this with (4) 24 x 60 panels so it would be more sturdy as it goes up?
Hey there!
The grid panels are almost attached by themselves to the wood frame. We cut a line along the piece of wood that would later become the frame just big enough to let the grid come in with a little bit of human help. Because of the tightness, the grids stand in place:
07.jpg

It's a bit weird-looking, but if you look at the more horizontal part of the panel, it's inserted in the wood (it's placed in about just as far as it could go, as far as my boyfriend made the cut). The grey-painted part and the wood (again both horizontal) are really the same piece of wood. That's what we did for the whole frame and panels.

We still attached the grids together using some tie-wraps just to make sure that our bunny wouldn't be able to force its way out (though she never even tried) using this "pattern":
09-1.jpg

I guess the way we inserted the panels in the wood frame makes it sturdy enough (nothing has moved so far lol), and I would recommend you to try it beforehand with 24 x 60 panels (if you can of course). We did use plenty of tie-wraps to try some sizes to the cage-to-be and to see where it would fit (we first thought of a two-level, 2 panels x 4 panels cage, but it was to big and inconvenient for us to place anywhere in the living room). Sometimes, it can be more difficult to play with big pieces and to make everything hold together than working with a few more smaller pieces. Just play with it and when you feel confident that it's going to stand up, just go for it ;)

And thanks for asking! Happy building!
~Molianne

This is similar to what I was hoping to design with tile and a front-opening door. I would be building it for 2 so I'd probably make it 3 wide buuut I may be using some of your pictures for inspiration :)

LaylaLop wrote:
This is similar to what I was hoping to design with tile and a front-opening door. I would be building it for 2 so I'd probably make it 3 wide buuut I may be using some of your pictures for inspiration :)

Go ahead and be inspired ;) lol
Just si you know, we built this cage knowing we'd get a second rabbit. We've now only recently started to let them in it together, and they are just fine ;) They have lots and lots of space to get around easily (and they are soooo cute when they're cuddling)

[align=center]What a wonderful cage. I love the simplicity and very neat design it has to it. Just amazing.

I'm working on building one of my soon-to-be-bunny, however I still have one question that looms over my head. When I travel, what in the world would I do with it? I visit family every winter and I've already decided I'm bringing the bun with us. I could easily fit the cage in the hostess's home but how would I get it there? I know traveling can be traumatic for a bunny and I also know that changing cages can be. A combination of the two would just kill the poor bun. So what do you plan to do with the cage while traveling? Keep him in a different cage? I just need some insight here.

~Preston[/align]

[align=center]What a wonderful cage. I love the simplicity and very neat design it has to it. Just amazing.

I'm working on building one of my soon-to-be-bunny, however I still have one question that looms over my head. When I travel, what in the world would I do with it? I visit family every winter and I've already decided I'm bringing the bun with us. I could easily fit the cage in the hostess's home but how would I get it there? I know traveling can be traumatic for a bunny and I also know that changing cages can be. A combination of the two would just kill the poor bun. So what do you plan to do with the cage while traveling? Keep him in a different cage? I just need some insight here.

~Preston[/align]

First of, sorry for the very late answer (wedding... a time-consuming project...!)

We do not plan on travelling the cage at all. We are lucky enough to have a few friends who also have rabbits so when we go on vacations, they go over to our house to feed them, change the water and interact with them.

Maybe you could build a smaller one for travelling purposes? Sorry I can't help you more on that..!

Wow! Nice cage! What did you use for the ramps and how did you secure them down?

18-2.jpg

The ramps are made of spruce wood and this is what we used to secure them (on the underside). It left a little gap when you look at the ramp the right way, but the rabbits never tripped on that and it leaves just enough space to lift the ramp a little (useful when cleaning!).

Wow that cage is tall. I saw a long version looks like a 2 story house. For the price I thought it was worth it.

Latest posts

Back