Ouch! Bunny Nipping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yurusumaji

Young Blood
Reaction score
So I have seen some other biting threads on here, but it seems my situation with Captain is a little different and I'm not sure what's going on with this behavior.

Captain is neutered. Over the last 2 days he has been coming up behind me on the couch and nipping me around the backside of my ribcage. He doesn't do this to my husband, nor does he nip at our dogs or cat. He's an only-bun and always has been, even in his previous home.

His nipping doesn't seem to be aggressive, but it happens regularly and sometimes it does hurt a bit. He just seems to wander up behind me and give me a quick nip. I yelp in pain and he just looks at me in wonderment.

He has been running around the house and biting literally everything in sight recently, so might that be connected somehow? I just don't really understand why I'm the only living thing in the house he nips at.

Haha! Don't be alarmed! What age is your bunny?
My bunnies both do this - I got Chloe at 6.5 years so she's done it since I've had her, and Buster started with this around a few months old (4 or 5 I can't remember.) Neutering a pet can slightly change their personalities, as it alters the hormonal balance in their systems. The nipping is generally a "curiosity" thing. Much like a snake licks things to "taste" what it is, the bunny will nip to see what it is! It can also sometimes be a bit of a dominance thing I think?

My bunny will sometimes nip and lick me when I'm brushing her, like we're grooming each other. It's a lovely (yet sometimes painful!) bonding method! LOL!

Anyway! I assume it's similar for you - just a curiosity "what is this?" type of thing. :)

Felix used to nip for attention. He ended up learning that wasn't the appropriate way to get my attention by my (often involuntary!) yelping/squealing when he nipped me, and I'd push his head down softly to imitate what a mama bun will do to teach her kits about what's appropriate and what's not.

Check his teeth and, get him a suitable wood chew. He may be trying to tell you his teeth need to be worn down a bit since he's trying to bite other things as well.

I would provide him with plenty of bunny safe objects for chewing.

As stated when he nips you let out a loud squeal. You can also firmly push his head down to show him you are not happy with the biting.

He may be trying to get your attention or may be telling you to move, that you are in his way. If he nudges you before nipping then I would say it is one of the two.

Ah, yes. The, "this is my couch now move!" nip which is easily confused with the, "Hey, I am here and you are my slave and now you must pay attention to me!" nip. Either way I think removing him from the couch would be a good way of letting him know that the nipping is not appreciated!

Also, perhaps it's time considering getting him a girlfriend?

Hope that helps!

Rue

Latest posts

Back