Other hay option suggestions needed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulubooboo

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well, and staying healthy.

I wanted a few suggestions on some hay. Currently, I'm feeding my 2 buns timothy hay, but I'm wanted to move them inside. I am allergic to timothy hay and when they lived inside for just a month or two I was suffering. Lulu likes Orchard hay A LOT, but Puddles hates it so that's not going to work.
They do both enjoy timothy hay so that's good, but I really want to move them inside, and as I said before, I'm very allergic to it.
Thank you for any suggestions!!!

Any grass hay will work with adult rabbits, provided they eat it! Timothy hay is out of the question so that’s okay. Other grass hays include Bermuda grass hay, meadow hay, oat hay, dried grass (I can’t remember any others). These may be hard for you to find depending on your area, and it might be more expensive.

Because you are allergic to Timothy hay, some tips that worked for me:

1. Keep a limited amount of hay in the house - I keep mine in a 15l bin.
2. Create a designated hay area - I no longer use hay toys and only feed hay in the litterbox, that way it is much easier to clean.
3. Buy dust-extracted, high quality hay - hay should be in long strands, bright green, and minimum dust.

Hopefully this helps!

Any grass hay will work. As long as it is grass hay (not clover or alfalfa). Try to stick to firmer hay. I would also avoid meadow hay as it is know to cause lots of allergies.
Dust extracted hay is always better. Dust extracted hay is better for you and your bunny.
Store hay outside, in a shed, or garage. Store most of the hay in a place not connected to your house. (You should probably still sore a little bit in the house also)
Mix a small amount of timothy hay with the hay. For a while I would mix a handful timothy hay in with the new hay as they are used to it and like it. You can get rid of it after a month or two.

Hopefully this helps, and @Apollo’s Slave advice is great too!

Any grass hay will work with adult rabbits, provided they eat it! Timothy hay is out of the question so that’s okay. Other grass hays include Bermuda grass hay, meadow hay, oat hay, dried grass (I can’t remember any others). These may be hard for you to find depending on your area, and it might be more expensive.

Because you are allergic to Timothy hay, some tips that worked for me:

1. Keep a limited amount of hay in the house - I keep mine in a 15l bin.
2. Create a designated hay area - I no longer use hay toys and only feed hay in the litterbox, that way it is much easier to clean.
3. Buy dust-extracted, high quality hay - hay should be in long strands, bright green, and minimum dust.

Hopefully this helps!
Thank you!

Any grass hay will work. As long as it is grass hay (not clover or alfalfa). Try to stick to firmer hay. I would also avoid meadow hay as it is know to cause lots of allergies.
Dust extracted hay is always better. Dust extracted hay is better for you and your bunny.
Store hay outside, in a shed, or garage. Store most of the hay in a place not connected to your house. (You should probably still sore a little bit in the house also)
Mix a small amount of timothy hay with the hay. For a while I would mix a handful timothy hay in with the new hay as they are used to it and like it. You can get rid of it after a month or two.

Hopefully this helps, and @Apollo’s Slave advice is great too!
Thank you!

What brand is "dust extracted hay" ? I have never heard of it and really didn't come up with anything when I googled it.
I do notice oat hay is less dusty, but no one likes it. The only thing mine pets (chinchilla, guinea pigs and rabbit) will eat is timothy (1st, 2nd and 3rd cuts) and orchard hay, which is not as dusty.

Latest posts

Back