OT Winter Weather

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunsforlife

Reaction score
Well I am sure Carolyn is getting it so muchworse then me... but I just spent an hour trying to get to work at thebottom of my condo complex.

Of course I have no proof that I tried to get into work, and I amfeeling bad because of the fact that I work in a residential, wherethere are no snow days, and people have to cover for me not getting inthere.

I started home last night at 11pm as usual. Hit a mailbox,spun out maybe three times but made it home safe. Crawledinto bed and had to get up at 5am to try it again. My condocomplex is at the bottom of two hills, which apparently dont getplowed. I made it to the bottom of the hill of the complexwith no problem, but couldnt get up either hill to get towork. I had people yell at me telling me to go home beingnone too nice about it. Sexist comments and such.And right now I am just a sorry state.

The big problem is, I cant really afford to miss work. I donthave sick time until I have been there 6 months. I dont wantto kill my car, but of course I am paranoid that I am going to lose myjob if I dont get in. I know people who wake up, look out thewindow and say, oh look at the snow, I am going to call out, who have a4 wheel drive vehicle.

I guess I am just upset, and I need to get it out of my system.

I am going to try again in an hour, hoping the streets have been plowed.

So sorry you are having troubles with the weather :(

Is your car front wheel drive? You can put some sandbags inthe trunk to help give the rear some weight and less likely to spinout.....

Bless your heart. I don't/can't drivein snow either. The few times that I did get around in badweather were because my husband was from Detroit and he was more thanused to it and he would drive me where I needed to go.

I have to say though that it's just not worth risking yourlife. If your job is so insensitive that they can'tunderstand that you're not mobile in inclement weather, then it may betime to start job hunting again ... :(

I remember one time in my single days that I tried (against my betterjudgement) to get out and get to work despite the weather.Not only did I tear up my car, but I tore up three more cars in theprocess. Lesson learned. :?

Just isn't fair is it. If you can't get to workit really isn't worth risking it. Call them, explain the situation andoffer to go in if someone can pick you up and take you home. Or stayhome and play in the snow. If they have half a heart, they'llunderstand.

I drive in almost any kind of weather as long as I can see where I'mgoing (my hometown is Detriot). If it's an icestorm or freezing rain Iususally don't go out. I can remember going to work in an icestorm afew years ago. I left an hour early to get to work and ended up gettingyelled at because I was 10 minutes late. I told them I just stopped byto let them know I wouldn't be able to make it to work. They thought Iwas kidding until I got back in my car to go home. :X

Jim

PS>> I've got 4 bags of WoodyPet in my car for extra weight :)

You poor thing, Bunsforlife. I wish I was there to help you.

What was the upshot? Did you try it or not??

I completely understand your situation and my heart really goes out to you.

-Carolyn

Seriously, they have to be understanding that youare in fact human and if there is no way to drive to work, you can'tget there.

Well I made it in. Took out twomailboxes, and hit a tree, but made it in. When I called myjob, the charge staff was very irritated and told me to keep tryingbecause they couldnt afford me not coming in as well. I amthinking I do need to job hunt again, even though I have only been here2 months. I live an hour away from the place, and my condocomplex is not on the priority to plow list.

I am just so stressed out, tired, cranky and ready to cry.And I swear, if there is ever a snowy morning like this, there is noway I am putting myself through this again. If I dont make itup the hill in the first couple of trys, I am going to curl back up inbed.

As for my car... I have plenty of weight in the back (Woody Petanyone?) Since I figured that stuff would be good if I got stuck in asinkhole of mud again to give me a little traction. I thinkit is front wheel drive but I dont know anymore.

And I get into work... and funny... all the female staff are here, andthe ones who called out are the men. And the snow plowjackarses are the ones who were telling me "Broads shouldnt drive inthe snow" What really pisses me off... is two of those whocalled out, have Jeeps.

Anyway... back to work. At least they have me doing HouseSearches today rather then having to interact with the kids.I have such a short temper today I am liable to get into majortrouble. ::sighs:: I want to be home cuddling with my bunnies!

Oh and no one can carpool with me since I live so bleeping out of theway. And to get a taxi would probably cost more then I'd maketo get in here.

bunsforlife wrote:
Well I made it in. Took out two mailboxes, and hita tree, but made it in.

Oh Sweetheart! I'm so sorry!!! No job is worth that.

Never again!

I wish I could get you out of there and take you out to breakfast andhave some laughs. I feel horribly foryou.

Shame on them for giving you a hard time. :X

Sending you big hug and a pat on the back for going through what youdid. I hope your car still runs and won't cost much torepair.

I don't blame you for being angry. I'm angry for you just by reading what you've been through.

-Carolyn

Well the damage to my car was very minimal thankgod, but to add insult to injury, we learned today at work that notonly are we going to be getting more work with no pay increase, oursupervisors are getting a 9k raise and they are laying off some of theline staff (which I am one of)

So back to the wanted ads.

And Carolyn... I still will take you up on that some time, when both our schedules and the weather permits ::smile::

Goodness, bunsforlife, :?

Doesn't it just seem that the rich keep getting richer and the poor, no matter how hard they work, are getting poorer?

I'm so sorry to hear about that at work with the cuts/raises. Believeme, it's happening in my place too. :? You're not alone. The only onesthat get raises are the ones that don't need one. It's so hard to bepositively motivated while those thoughts are in your mind.

I'm glad your car didn't have much damage. Thank God you weren'thurt. It really shakes one up when that happens because that feeling ofslipping off the road with no control. It feels like you're going inslow motion and all you can think of is 'When is this going to stop andwill I be okay?' At least that's the way I felt when I went through it.Then when the weather's like that again, you flashback to it.

Follow your instincts, Dear Heart. You knew that you should'vestayed home, but you didn't listen. I realize you couldn't afford a dayoff because of your sick time, but you can't do anything if you gethurt. Always go with safety first.

After the way you were treated and learning that there will belayoffs/raises really has to make you stop and think if it's reallygood for your well-being, safety, and growth.

Losing one just gains another. If this job doesn't work out, there will be another one. I promise.

Relax tonight, cuddle up with your guy and your bunnies and stay in themoment. Tomorrow will take care of itself. For now, you are home,everyone's okay, and you don't have to do anything else.

Definitely will take you up on that cup of coffee and breakfast.

Much Love,
-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back