OT: Rescuing fish

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
Hi all, I have to tell you about my dayyesterday. My hubby and I both took PTO yesterday because I was on-callfor work all weekend. We went to a really cool pet store in Milwaukee-it's a bit of a drive and James has never been there before. This placeis an independant pet store that is the size of a Super Walmart andspecializes in fish, reptiles, and small animals. Aside from gettingsome fish that the petstores by me can never seem to keep alive, we gota bunch of stuff for Mocha. And they had a couple of rabbits there.James fell in love with one particular fuzzy lop. I had to convince himthat we were not getting another bunny that day and I am not buyinganother commercial rabbit cage! Dog crate or NIC, that's the way to go!

So we went home and he chatted with a neighbor while I got my new fishacclimated to their tanks. Turns out the neighbor has a fish tank thathe wants to get rid of. He's been trying to kill the fish off formonths!!!!!!!! He hasn't fed them in ages and can't understand why theyhaven't keeled over from starvation (algea, duh!). He even used thetank as an ASHTRAY during a recent party- there was still a butt at thebottom of the tank! GRRR. James told him that we could probably takethe tank and he would check with me first as I'm the one that wouldtake care of it. I'm thinking of putting it in Mocha's room.

Then we went the other direction to Sheboygan to get some othershopping done. Finally bought a digital camera, yay! You'll be seeingmore pics soon, so I hope you don't get sick of Mocha quickly! And wewent to another petstore to compare sizes of tanks and see what sizethe new one will be- 29 gallons. Bigger than any of my three and fairlydecent. They had bunnies, too and James really liked the tan dutches.Where I proceeded to explain to him my reasons for not getting them:

a. Theres boatloads of bunnies at the shelters (he knows this, he just lacks impulse control where bunnies are concerned).
b. I want Mocha to choose a friend so they can at least play together.
c. Spay/neuters are expensive and they are already done on shelter bunnies.
d. If he likes dutches, there's at least 20 in a one hour drivingradius up for adoption! Not to mention Netherland Dwarfs, various lops,etc.

So that was my day yesterday. At least I know that getting a second bunny is assured!

Wow, you had a busy day! My 29 gal.tank just got turned into a temporary rat home while the new babiesgrow. It held one of my bearded dragons before that, who isnow in a 65, and before that fish, who are now in a 75. Fishtanks have a way of growing. LOL When we move, weare going to get a 120 gal and set it up for salt water. Ijust love to watch them.

Jen

So, when is Mocha gonna pick out her new brotheror sister? I think its wonderful that you've chosen to adopt a critterrather than acquiring one from a pet store or breeder. FYI, eventuallymy husband & I wanna adopt a child, but we're gonna let our twohave a considerable say in who becomes part of the family.

We've had too many pets in my lifetime to count, but its the animalsthat someone else discarded that have been the best. I swear they knowthat "This time is gonna be different" And, they always reflect this intheir attitudes.

When you go to the HS are you looking for a specific breed? One that Mocha likes?

Where are your pics? Comeon Lady, you say we might get tired of Mochapics, but .... we cannot even begin to without the photos! ;)

Taking the fish was part of the deal. I might beable to move the tank in tonight... yippee! James saw it and doesn'tknow much about fish, apparently there was a common goldfish that theguy's kid won at a carnival and a bunch of little fish, probably tetrasand the like.

I'm not going to let myself think about a second bunny until 3 moreweeks AT LEAST so I'll be sure Mocha's recovered from her spay. I don'twant her getting hurt in case she's mounted. I'm very open to thebreed, but James can be a little picky. There are two beautiful gray NDmales in different shelters around here, as well as a boatload ofdutches. I'll probably sit James down at the computer and show him allthe bunnies on petfinder, choose a shelter that has the most that weboth like, and set up an appointment.

*Must not get excited over a new bunny!*
*NOT WORKING!!!!!!!!!!*

Latest posts

Back