Oscar The Bunny: Eat, Poop, Play, Sleep, Repeat.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if you have mentioned this in the past, but what kind of litter do you use? Also, could the hay have been super dusty or something like that, like bottom of the bag stuff? Just throwing out some ideas..

I use back2nature litter. He eats that one so I am planning to go to wood pellets instead however I am thinking it could be the hay since it is quite dusty. Thanks for that stevesmum I am gonna be changing his hay now to something else because it is probably the dust that is causing that to happen.

I got some news. Oscar might get a girlfriend soon!!! I want to wait a month or so after he is neutered then I am gonna find him a match on rabbit tinder (lol just kidding I am gonna find a female to adopt :p). So I can't wait!!! (It's still a maybe though)

I have noticed a change in Oscar's behaviour. I don't know how to put this but he is finding my arm very (VERY) intriguing. In other words he is trying to hump my arm. I picked up on this when I was giving him his dinner because he was following my arm and nudging it (silly me thinking that 'I should put down the bowl') then when I put it down he put his front paws around my wrist and his willy was sticking out and his nails were digging into my skin and scratching. I was so shocked and I immediatly moved my arm and he started thumping and running real fast around the cage. This is really weird and I am so glad he is going to get neutered next week because I don't think my arm can go through lets say, unwanted humping. :/

Good news. I ordered a carrier for Oscar which is really nice can't wait. We just went shopping and I got a meadow hay bale for £4.59 which is really cheap so it should last. We got him Burgess pellets and a new hay rack (the other one was making a mess outside the cage). Sorry I haven't uploaded a video I got a haul video that I need to edit so it should come it sooner or later.

I used to find haul videos a bit silly, but I've been watching more of them lately and I'm starting to find them quite fun :D I look forward to seeing yours.

It will be good when Oscar's neutered so you don't have to worry about him getting frisky with your arm anymore, I'm lucky that Bandit never did that with me.

I used to find haul videos a bit silly, but I've been watching more of them lately and I'm starting to find them quite fun :D I look forward to seeing yours.

It will be good when Oscar's neutered so you don't have to worry about him getting frisky with your arm anymore, I'm lucky that Bandit never did that with me.

Very lucky indeed, I just fed him and he seems to have calmed down from last night. :p yay!

I got the carrier a few days ago and managed to prepare it all for tomorrow when he gets neutered. I cleaned his cage, I am going to remove the platform so he doesn't have to jump for a while and also I am going ask some questions. Guus this is my first time with a bun getting neutered so please tell me what to expect/do.

His erotic behaviour has calmed down now and is should be reduced more after the surgery too. He is getting a bit heavier and looks a bit bigger than when I first got him so that's good! On my channel I am going to talk about his neuter process and (hopefully manage to) get some clips of him going to the vet and the journey on the way there etc.

Should he be given painkillers? A collar to prevent him from damaging his private area? I don't know right now so I am going to have a look but please do inform me.

Painkillers yes yes yes! Make sure you are sent home with some. Bunnies don't do well with collars. The toughest part should be making sure he is eating, drinking and pooping post op, and resisting his mournful looks when he will want to be let out to run around before he is healed up enough.

Painkillers yes yes yes! Make sure you are sent home with some. Bunnies don't do well with collars. The toughest part should be making sure he is eating, drinking and pooping post op, and resisting his mournful looks when he will want to be let out to run around before he is healed up enough.

Thanks so much!

I just woke up right now and I need to get ready for it. I am leaving the house in an hour. This is really scary but I am confident. I will keep you guys updated if anything happens!!!

We just dropped Oscar off at the vets now :( It is official. I am going to miss him for about 6 hours. I am going to call in 5 hours and start making my way there from 3:00pm to hopefully pick him up at 3:20pm. I will call about 2pm and ask how he's doing. Which means the surgery has got to be between 10am-12pm/1pm. He got quiet frustrated at the vet foe checking his privates out and he wasn't happy. I just hope it all calms down (I had to help the vet check his privates).

Okay so I also asked the vet about the painkillers. He said he will be giving one short after the surgery and it should last till tomorrow. My question is if that is enough? Because if I want extra pain killers I am going to get charged £16 for painkillers. I forgot to ask about the stitches but he looks like he has done it lots of times as he talked about the risk of anesthesia and etc. I am going to prepare his cage now for when he comes home, I am going to remove the platform and anything he has to jump or stretch to get. When he gets home I am going to watch him like a hawk, seriously, I want to make sure his poopies are okay and he is eating like how he did this morning. How long do I have to wait after the neuter for Oscar to have playtime again? And my other question which I will put here, painkillers will last until tomorrow, is that enough? Sorry I'm asking questions that sounds easy but I am a worried bunny.

I have decided to buy the painkillers, I really don't want anything bad happening so I am going to ask for some.

New video is OUT finally! I am not fufilling my promise I said at least 2 videos a week :(. Well this time there are going to be more than one video this week, at one point during the week I am going to upload Oscar's Neuter and might make a video before that on why to neuter/spay your bun. Here it is: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeLZ3pbEGP4[/ame] this was when I went to PetsAtHome and I came back and decided to do a Haul, hope you enjoy!

You may not need the pain meds, but I personally prefer to have them on hand just in case.

You'll want to keep a close eye on him to make sure he leaves the surgical site alone, as chewing at it poses the greatest risk. Keep him warm as anesthesia makes it difficult for them to stay warm after, and keep encouraging eating. I've had the greatest luck getting them eating again with their usual leafy greens/herbs/forage. Pellets and hay are usually the last things they start eating again.

This link has some good post op tips as well.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

You may not need the pain meds, but I personally prefer to have them on hand just in case.

You'll want to keep a close eye on him to make sure he leaves the surgical site alone, as chewing at it poses the greatest risk. Keep him warm as anesthesia makes it difficult for them to stay warm after, and keep encouraging eating. I've had the greatest luck getting them eating again with their usual leafy greens/herbs/forage. Pellets and hay are usually the last things they start eating again.

This link has some good post op tips as well.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Thanks so much! In the end I got the pain meds because a lady at the vet also got their rabbit neutered and woke up late in the morning to see the rabbit in pain.

Your haul looks yummy (if I was a rabbit, anyway). I bet Oscar was glad you got him those treats! I'm sure he'll be ok and I always prefer to have the pain medicine than not to have it. Each animal is different and some have more pain from sugery than others, so even a vet can't tell you for sure if they will hurt after. I know I always do though, and am glad to have something to help after the IV meds wear off. I'm not sure how long his recovery will be, but the vet will be able to tell you. :)

So he is now back! Healthy and alive, I can defenitley see the difference, his sacks are deflated and look lifeless and you can see the fur that was removed to do the surgery. He licked it quite a bit but he has stopped now, I was told if he is licking it too much I should carry him to the vets. First 30 mins I was worried, I offered him some treats but he didn't even respond, he looked lifeless and grumpy and I think the head rubs made him happier because he was grinding his teeth when I did it :) Anyways, he has a post-op re-check in about 4 days time to see how he is doing then they might need to remove the sutures a few days later. After a while he did start eating but he hasn't touched his pellets so I squashed them with water and fed it to him like that and he didn't mind he just ate it which is all good. He has been eating his hay and he finally pooped after me staring at him for ages (and he did a pee too).

So right now it is bedtime and I need to give him his pain meds in the morning because I don't want to wake up late like the lady did and found her bun in pain :(. So I think 8am is a good time to wake up and give it to him early, I might give him some fruits and a bit of veg to add to his morning pellets (I hope he eats some over night). The stickles that I bought from the haul video worked! That was the first thing he ate, which is good because the stickles have hay in them so yay! His gut will keep moving yay! He is such a champ, so proud of him. I was worried sick when the receptionist asked the vet how he was doing when I called in and I was so relieved when they said he is awake and doing well :D These buns will get you worried sometimes :p

Last edited:
Here is him licking his genital area. The vet told me the red thing isn't blood, he said it was a fluid mixed with a drop of his blood. So all is good because I got worried sick, he smelled very surgical :p
View attachment 1438641598425.jpg

Hooray for Oscar. I really hope he recovers quickly, though it sounds like he's doing great already :)

Oscar is a brave bunny! Sounds like he is doing good. I'm glad he's eaten and passed it normally. Keep being a good strong bun Oscar!

Latest posts

Back