Orange/red colur urine of my rabbit is ok ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOMAL

Reaction score
I got my rabbit 5 days ago i don't know his age but he is small
In starting 3 days he was ok peeing normally but 4th day suddenly i saw his urine changed color to dark orange after that he pee normal yellow than again start peeing orange he pee normally than again pee orange and today he's pee colour was dark orange kind of redish and just after few min. He again pee yellow colour
I'm very confused and scared at the same time help me

Often some food will make the bunnies urine change color. Sometimes after a carrot it will be a bit more pigmented but other food will also make the urine change color.

Instead watching the color of urine, you should watch after blood or calcium discharges.

So a bunny urine can have color from yellow to orange almost red which it’s normal.

My rabbit gets orange/red urine every spring. She’s female, but no one knew until we had her spayed.

If your Rabbit was sick with a Urinary Tract Infection the pee would stay red all the time. Also your rabbit would probably be straining to pee.

Your rabbit sounds ok. Congratulations on your new rabbit Welcome to the world of nonstop worrying about your bunny. I do it too!

Not carrots he ate tomotes but can tomotes be the cause of orange urine ?
He did red urine only once
Can you tell me the veggies i should feed him so his urine don't turn to red

Not all the time only once till now
Only urine is problem otherwise he's doing good he poop normally , plays all the time keep running takes nap in between but suddenly he pee orange i become very worried about him (_ _;)

It is best to give quality pellets and good hay to eat with only occasional vegetables or fruits especially at a young age . Stay away from lettuce as it is full of water and can cause diarrhea but ur best things to feed as occasional snack is a piece of apple, baby carrots, small amount of kale or even a small amount of grass from outside . Since ur new at having a bunny u may want to do some research on foods that can be toxic to ur baby and make sure everything is in small quantities. If u give a piece of apple make sure seeds are out of it and after giving any fruit or vegetable wait a couple days to see if gets diarrhea or anything from it, if he does u know not to feed that again. It can all be trial and error but do some research on good and bad foods.

where i live hay is not available what should i do ?
As hay is not available he eat spinach , and coriander he loves eating it

Do you have any sort of grass that you can feed, for example something cow, sheep or any other grass eating animal eat. Dosen’t have to be hay as long you feed your bun with something as good as hay. Fresh grass work to feed bunnies without a problem if you don’t have hay.

You will just have to make your bun get slowly used with grass.

Normal fresh grass i can get for him

it will be ok if i feed him fresh grass ?
It will give him sufficient fibre that he need ?
What if he won't eat it ?

Grass work really well and most rabbits prefer it over hay. But you will have to introduce it slowly so his stomach get used with grass.

As long he gets a variety of leafy greens and grass, he will get everything he needs.

I know that a few people in my country let their buns, during summer only eat grass and no hay.

Can think it become hard when you have no hay available in your country.

I hope everything goes well with your bunny.

Make sure the grass not start to be fermented or else it will cause your bun to get gasses. Which can make your bun to get GI stasis. Just a precaution.

Ok thank you so much
And what about pellets ? Is it necessary ?

Pellets aren’t necessary but it’s a good to give it to your bun when you are not sure they get all the nutrients and fiber they need.

Myself feed 2 of my buns pellets, you will just have to buy a big good quality pellet and it will last long.

Myself only give 1 tablespoon pellets and my buns are happy with that small amount. So one pack a pellets around 3 kg, I have pellets for 3-4 months. But I have 3 rabbits (one giant, normal size and kit size)

Hay is essential for dental and digestive health. This needs to be grass hay, NOT alfalfa hay which is too rich and as a legume, not a grass, it does not require the same chewing action. Advice here https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/hay-grass/ There is no vegetable that can provide the same chewing action as hay.

The photo here is a microscope image of some hay. You can see that the edge has some spikes. These are silicas which coat all grass and hay and they are like sandpaper, providing abrasion to the surface of the teeth. Teeth can grow an amazing rate and they need the toughness of the hay (or grass) to wear them down

Attachments

• hay surface 3 030519.png
    hay surface 3 030519.png
    265.9 KB · Views: 3
  • hay surface 3 030519.png
    hay surface 3 030519.png
    265.9 KB · Views: 3
There is a clear image in the middle of this photo of the edge of some hay under the microscope where the spikes are clear

Attachments

• 20190307_131416.jpg
    20190307_131416.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 3
This is the edge of a blade of grass under the microscope where the silica coating with its spikes is very clear. You can see this is grass as it's far greener than the hay in previous images, but the silica is not lost when grass is made into hay

Attachments

• 20190307_144023.jpg
    20190307_144023.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 4
Hay is just dried grass, so if you aren't able to get hay, grass will do. (as Hermelin said) Just follow those cautions of introducing slowly.

Pellets are good to ensure bunny gets needed nutrients BUT it is important to get a healthy pellet. There are many junk pellets for sale. Be sure to look for plain pellets - no gourmet mixes or pellets with colorful junk mixed in.

Don't worry about urine changing to orange or red because of diet. Even certain greens can cause that to happen. It is normal and does not need to be avoided. (you earlier said, "Can you tell me the veggies i should feed him so his urine don't turn to red")

Greens are fine to feed to rabbits. Just introduce them one type at a time checking for any change in poos. Wait until bunny is 12 weeks of age before introducing greens unless he was already eating them when you got him. Think in terms of greens rather than fruits or veggies.

@Friskiee2 is incorrect in saying to stay away from lettuce. Iceberg should be avoided, but other lettuces are just fine. Romaine lettuce, green-leaf lettuce, red-leaf lettuce-- these are all fine options. Fruits or carrot are considered treats only and always risk tummy upset with their high sugar content. Until your bunny is steady on a diet with grass (or hay) and pellets and daily greens, it's best to avoid any sugary treats like fruit or carrot.

Latest posts

Back