Orange pee but healthy bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
I brought home Evie, Bugs's future bond-mate yesterday. The problem I'm having however, is with Bugs. He has been peeing and pooping in the corner or my room (a poop war type thing) but his pee is orange with some yellow in it! The last time this happened, probably close to 6 months ago, it was because he was fed veggies that were higher in calcium daily. He hasn't had any high calcium veggies in 6 or so months. He is fed 1/8 cup Oxbow Adult pellets, and 2 cups of romaine, red and green lead lettuce, along with cilantro and about once a month, parsley. He is also given the occasional pinch of dried herbs. He has many things to jump up on and is very active. Any idea as to what it could be?20190616_092829.jpeg

It looks like normal calcium excretion (which you mention the high-calcium diet) and orange urine as well. Both of these are normal. Even rabbits with low calcium diets will have the occasional calcium-excretion pee because inevitably, not all is used from time to time, and that's why the rabbit has the ability to urinate out those excess minerals.

Orange urine can happen due to a particular food, or just spontaneously on its own. With no diet changes, my rabbit now permanently has orange urine, regardless of what he's fed. It can be a phase, a singular occurrence... but it's normal!

Latest posts

Back