Opinions on feed: Manna Pro/Gro vs Penpals vs Kalmbach

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargazerLily

Reaction score
I started out feeding my English Lops Manna Pro because it was the only food I could find around me that seemed to be decent. I've had a fair number of breeders tell me to look for 18%, and with the acquisition of two breeding New Zealands, I have been told to feed every one an 18% feed. I had my daughter's 4H advisior tell me to use Penpals feed and where I could find it locally, and since I had heard a few elop breeders mention using it, I bought a bag. Today the person I got my NZ's from said she feeds Kalmbach, which is another 18% feed, because there was some speculation that Penpals wasn't as great for breeding rabbits. So now I am trying to figure out if I should switch from Penpals to Kalmbach instead. I just bought a bag of Penpals and had been working on switching my Elops over. Any opinions of which feed is best for large breeding rabbits/meat rabbits?

Well, when we had Californians for FFA we used a feed milled in Louisiana called Petrus. I know many breeders like Manna Pro and PenPals. I've never heard of Kalmbach. It must be a regional feed. My advice is to feed whatever works best for you. I like PenPals and would use if I could get it, but it's a special order item around our area. I used Purina Show until recently because I could get it fresh. Now I use a regional feed called Livengood. You would do fine on a 17-18% protein feed...just make sure whatever you use is fresh. That's where it helps to know how to read the date on a feed tag.

Latest posts

Back