Opinions on closed litter boxes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was looking into getting my bun a hooded litter box (like one that a cat uses) from what I've read it is also very helpful as it has high sides and stops poo and hay being flung out of the litter box which is what happens to me now and it is a pain to pick up everyday (i use an under-bed box which is quite large), although I saw a 101 rabbit video where she was opposed to having a closed litter box because it doesn't have a second entrance so the bun can't escape it the first entrance was blocked, but I saw that Lennon the Rabbit has one and endorses it very much, any opinions?

There is a photo below as an example! <3

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 20.33.59.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 20.33.59.png
    246.4 KB · Views: 3
If you use it without flap door or even use only bottom part because they have higher sides than normal litter boxes, otherwise I wouldn't use it because of poor air circulation.

If you use it without flap door or even use only bottom part because they have higher sides than normal litter boxes, otherwise I wouldn't use it because of poor air circulation.

I was planning to remove the flap and keep it without it so it is easy to access, thanks for your answer!

Yes, those are great! They keep stray poos and hay in (which is great!).

@Blue eyes advises against closed litter boxes because of trapped ammonia. Scientifically, I haven’t done any research on that but better safe than sorry. My bunny uses a high-sided litter box from the company IRIS. I put pee pads in and place the sides on so it stays clean.

That is one of the several issues where I've seen questionable advice from Lennon the Bunny. One thing to bear in mind with her videos is that she (as far as I've seen) has only ever had the one rabbit. Her experience is limited, but because her videos have been so popular, she now has endorsements. That means she gets monetary incentive for endorsing certain pet products. That has the potential for a slippery slope of what to endorse.

If someone has a litter box digger for a rabbit, the following would be a safer, less expensive option (with or without the hay rack):

Attachments

• rubbermaid.png
    rubbermaid.png
    465.4 KB · Views: 4
I have a cat litterbox with the top off and it works great to keep stray poo in.

That is one of the several issues where I've seen questionable advice from Lennon the Bunny. One thing to bear in mind with her videos is that she (as far as I've seen) has only ever had the one rabbit. Her experience is limited, but because her videos have been so popular, she now has endorsements. That means she gets monetary incentive for endorsing certain pet products. That has the potential for a slippery slope of what to endorse.

If someone has a litter box digger for a rabbit, the following would be a safer, less expensive option (with or without the hay rack):

Thanks for you suggestions! I had a look online and found one similar to the photo, would the one below be okay? (It has high sides and is open at the top so is probably more hygienic)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 07.38.15.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 07.38.15.png
    203.9 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for you suggestions! I had a look online and found one similar to the photo, would the one below be okay? (It has high sides and is open at the top so is probably more hygienic)
This is the one that I have. It’s bigger than it looks so make sure to measure. I have a small bun and he had a hard time jumping in at first.

This is the one that I have. It’s bigger than it looks so make sure to measure. I have a small bun and he had a hard time jumping in at first.

Attachments

• 15898203978544613341871956134568.jpg
    15898203978544613341871956134568.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back