Opinions needed on where to keep bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
After Bugs and Evie decided that for now they don't want to bond, I need help deciding where to keep Evie.

Both Evie and Bugs are kept in my room and they each get 12 hours of playtime a day. There is a pen and an area with a litter box and toys for the bun that is out for playtime. This was meant to be very temporary as Bugs hates being kept in a cage and since having him in there half of the day for a couple months, our bond has been broken. He used to snuggle with me and give me kisses and now he only comes to me when he wants something. It breaks my heart.

My options are:

Keep them both in my room and continue with the 12 hours of playtime a day.

Move Evie into my sister's room and let Bugs free roam again. My sister has a 4 pound dog who is scared of the bunnies that will also be in her room. I will build Evie a multi-level condo and she will have a pen that she can run around in when she's not let out of the cage. My sister will completely bunny proof her room and said she will let Evie out whenever she's in her room. The dog will never be left in the room when Evie is out and my sister will supervise them the whole time. The dog does like to bark occasionally but my sister will make him stop so he doesn't scare Evie. I will wrap fabric around the pen so they can't see each other. This is my sister's idea and she loves Evie a lot so she will still get attention. Evie will still be mine and I will feed and clean up after her, the only difference being that she's not in my room.

Build a condo with a pen surrounding it and keep Evie in it most of the time. She will get a few hours of playtime a day.

I want to make sure both bunnies will benefit from whatever option I go with. If Evie does move in with my sister and she gets spooked by barking she will come right back into my room. I won't put Bugs's happiness over her safety ever.

It's really up to you, but I know that when I tried free roaming my bunny in my room of course I felt super bonded with him. It was great, he felt free and we had a shared living space. However I could not stop him from peeing and pooping on my bed as he believed it was his territory to poop on and it started to become too much for my allergies. I ended up giving him a big old xpen area in another room and for a while I did feel quite sad, and I'm sure he was like "what the heck" as he no longer was sleeping with me. But in all honesty we have found a lovely routine and he is back to licking my legs and begging for massges.
Your bunnies will both love you even if you keep them in a pen. 12 hours of playtime is A LOT. they're very happy bunnies i can tell you that.

I don't know your sister or living situation/ages, but I wonder how moving a bunny into her room would actually pan out. They are quite noisy and the smell of hay is something to get used to especially all night long (exactly why i needed my room to be an allergy free zone).
In my opinion i bet they would be fine. I know you said he hates being in a pen but if it is big enough and he gets 12 hours of free time well he needs to stop being spoiled and maybe think about bonding with his buddy then ;)
Good luck woth your decision!

He fell asleep on my bed last night which is the first time he's done that in months! I think that our bond hasn't been great because Evie gets half of my attention now also.

I had a bonding session yesterday (the first one after the two fights recently) and it went amazing. I was expecting fighting but there was nothing like that. I'm going to try and get them bonded so they both can be free roam. We'll all be much happier. If they don't end up bonded, I will have to decide what I'll do then.

Thank you for your response!

Latest posts

Back