Op or put to sleep! :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginandwhiskey

Reaction score
My baby Gin has been ill for about a month now. It all happened after she got spayed. She took the longest to recover however all seemed normal for a few days. She was quiet but I thought she was getting over the stress and shock of being spayed. She stopped eating for a while. Only having nibbles here and there, I took her to the vets and she got some meds that helped speed her tummy function up and all seemed well. This went on for a while and since last week her poo's have started getting smaller and smaller until they're so small it could probably fit up her nose! But there's loads of them!

At first I thought a blockage so carried on with the meds and took her to the vets. She's lost lots of weight hence another reason i went to the vets, she's lost half her body weight. They said to carry on with meds. Then she's started laying funny, not wanting to lay on her stomach properly. Started being lazy and letting me pick her up whenever. She props herself up all the time and looks so uncomfy to be on her tummy. Took her to the vets again and they took bloods and xray (xray while she was still awake as I was too scared to put her under as shes so tiny and weak at the moment).

Bloods came back that she's anaemic, she's slowly bleeding from somewhere apparently but it's not clotting?? so thats good?? says there's inflammation somewhere but they're not sure if its due to something, however they think it might be something bigger because she's been on anti inflammatory for a while. Now on antibiotics too but not seeing much difference. She's just got no energy and seems wobbly :(

Vet called today and said main option is to cut her open and see what is going on inside and they've checked everything that can be checked on the outside and can't find any problem. Ultrasound didn't show much and xray was bad as shes too skinny for there to be any definition between her organs. All just blurred into one.

Worried about her surviving the op as shes so skinny and weak will she come back round from the GA? but then the vet said if we don't then she will have to be put to sleep as she is clearly getting worse and in pain.

I've spoilt them rotten their entire lives and always took them to the vets whenever something changed, even if it turned out to be nothing. I don't want to lose her but I feel like she wouldn't survive the op.

So worrying as they don't even know what they're looking for just need to have a look around! Nothing in her poo or wee so must be something inside :( only got one more day with her before I have to drop her off. I'm so scared!!

So sorry you are going through this. My first impression is it could be a complication from her spay surgery. But I’m not a vet. If it were me and it were affordable I think I would do the exploratory surgery but prepare myself for the worst outcome. I think bunnies have a very poor chance of surviving abdominal surgery to begin with, not including spay surgery. The X-rays didn’t show anything either? Anyways, if she doesn’t make it through the surgery or recovery at least you will know you tried everything. But it is a very personal choice and if you just want to end her suffering that is certainly valid too.

I am so so sorry to hear you have to go through this. Please know that this is not your fault and that spay complications are rare, but do happen. Spaying her was the right choice-- don't think you made a mistake or anything. It sounds like you care very very much and have done literally everything to take care of her and keep her comfortable.

If it were me personally, and I had the finances, I'd also go with the exploratory surgery. She may not survive the surgery, as you know, but she won't survive without it either way. When they pass away during a surgery, it is VERY similar to being put to sleep-- they are not aware of what is happening and it is painless. They simply just do not wake up.

Keep us updated on how she and you are doing.

I'm sad to say Gin got put down yesterday afternoon. They were mid surgery and the vet called me with a nurse holding the phone to her ear. She said that her spleen was covered in white puss and lumps and bodies. That it was also in her liver and gut and on the walls of her flesh on the inside. She said she could remove the spleen (which she and no one in the practice had ever done on a rabbit before) and stitch her up and try and give her antibiotics to clear the rest up. However, she was leaning more towards it being cancer, as only last month at the beginning Gin was spayed and the vet assured me she had not seen anything like this. She couldn't say for definate what it was, and she gave me the choice. But what she did say was that cancer or abscess there was so many of them that if they were small white abscesses they probably wouldn't have cleared, as Gin was already weak as it was, she would've been recovering for major surgery and trying to fight them off. In her experience she said she's never seen antibiotics treat a rabbit for these abscesses and they were too small to drain (if they were). I cried and cried for ages but eventually decided it was best to put my baby out of pain, as she had been uncomfortable all weekend. I knew this was my last weekend with her I could feel it, so I really did give her the best time with all her favourite foods. But she still managed to lose weight. Her anaemic little body was so weak bless her. When I went to pick up my other bunny and see Gin, they showed me photos and it really was amazing how she wasn't in more pain than she was and was still sometimes perky as it was literally everywhere. The vets feel more certain it was cancer and have kept some of it in case I went to send it off. She was only 8 months old. I'm so worried about my other little one. They were sisters and joined at the hip always. Whiskey was constantly grooming Gin in her last few days I think she knew.

I feel so lost and devastated. I just want my baby back. I stayed with her body in the vets for an hour before leaving her and taking my other little one home. I couldn't leave. She was my world. I just wish she would come back! I was waiting for her to hop to life and say look mummy I was just pretending! Lets go home!

I'm getting her cremated as I rent this house and when we eventually buy this year or next I don't want to leave her buried in that garden.

I don't regret anything I spent on her but I hope everyone insures their bunnies as this cost me nearly £1000 from the beginning of december till now as I constantly took her in every week multiple times because I knew she wasn't right.

Sincerely, a devastated and lost bunny mum.

I'm very sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for her. Sometimes, their time really comes a lot too soon and it's hard to accept it. Whiskey will probably have a few tough weeks, but she'll bounce back eventually - rabbits are brave little creatures. After a while, you might want to consider getting her a neutered friend as she is still very young and sounds quite sociable.

I'm sad to say Gin got put down yesterday afternoon. They were mid surgery and the vet called me with a nurse holding the phone to her ear. She said that her spleen was covered in white puss and lumps and bodies. That it was also in her liver and gut and on the walls of her flesh on the inside. She said she could remove the spleen (which she and no one in the practice had ever done on a rabbit before) and stitch her up and try and give her antibiotics to clear the rest up. However, she was leaning more towards it being cancer, as only last month at the beginning Gin was spayed and the vet assured me she had not seen anything like this. She couldn't say for definate what it was, and she gave me the choice. But what she did say was that cancer or abscess there was so many of them that if they were small white abscesses they probably wouldn't have cleared, as Gin was already weak as it was, she would've been recovering for major surgery and trying to fight them off. In her experience she said she's never seen antibiotics treat a rabbit for these abscesses and they were too small to drain (if they were). I cried and cried for ages but eventually decided it was best to put my baby out of pain, as she had been uncomfortable all weekend. I knew this was my last weekend with her I could feel it, so I really did give her the best time with all her favourite foods. But she still managed to lose weight. Her anaemic little body was so weak bless her. When I went to pick up my other bunny and see Gin, they showed me photos and it really was amazing how she wasn't in more pain than she was and was still sometimes perky as it was literally everywhere. The vets feel more certain it was cancer and have kept some of it in case I went to send it off. She was only 8 months old. I'm so worried about my other little one. They were sisters and joined at the hip always. Whiskey was constantly grooming Gin in her last few days I think she knew.

I feel so lost and devastated. I just want my baby back. I stayed with her body in the vets for an hour before leaving her and taking my other little one home. I couldn't leave. She was my world. I just wish she would come back! I was waiting for her to hop to life and say look mummy I was just pretending! Lets go home!

I'm getting her cremated as I rent this house and when we eventually buy this year or next I don't want to leave her buried in that garden.

I don't regret anything I spent on her but I hope everyone insures their bunnies as this cost me nearly £1000 from the beginning of december till now as I constantly took her in every week multiple times because I knew she wasn't right.

I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you. Isn't it something that these tiny creatures come into our lives and just take over? It sounds to me like you did everything you possibly could. Just keep on lovin' on whiskey. Sending hugs from texas...[emoji195][emoji176]

I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you. Isn't it something that these tiny creatures come into our lives and just take over? It sounds to me like you did everything you possibly could. Just keep on lovin' on whiskey. Sending hugs from texas...[emoji195][emoji176]

I am very sorry that you lost your beloved girl.
I have buried my FooFoo in a huge beautiful park that has lakes and walking paths and lots of wild animals. I love that I can stop at her "grave" whenever I am there. I hope I didn't do anything illegal.

I hope you find comfort with time. Binky free little Gin!

Gin was so unbelievably lucky to have you-- even for a life that ended too soon, she was so deeply loved and I bet she knew it. I am so sorry for your loss. We are sending our love.

Thank you everyone. I took whiskey to see the body and she tried to groom her and jumped ontop of her at one point. After that she went back in her carry case and poo'd a little which she doesn't normally do in there. She didn't want to come back out after that she just stared at her. But when I said goodbye to Gin (it took an hour by myself and lots of tears) I put her in front of whiskey one more time and she licked her ear then moved away. I guess that was her goodbye too?

Breaks my heart even now. Whiskey seems ok. She did some binkies this morning which I was shocked with. She's been grooming the teddy I got for her so I think she finds comfort in it? She's loving all the strokes and follows me around. Shes eating and pooping great. It's my birthday today but I've cancelled all plans. I'm too sad to celebrate and I want to be there for whiskey as much as I can when I'm not at work. I will find her a friend but I can't bring myself to do it soon. I'm just shocked with how well shes doing. I can't even get through a day/hour without crying or tearing up! Just want to see her little face again. I can't bring myself to look at photos yet. It's too upsetting that it was only 2/3 days ago she was here.

She was in incredible discomfort and I'm happy I did what I did. To an extent. Just wish she didn't have to be so young that's also so heartbreaking. Have I gone too far by buying whiskey a radio for while I'm at work too haha? I thought she may find comfort in it, having a low volume of noise instead of complete silence. I play it when I'm there too so she doesn't associate it with me leaving.

Hope it get easier this is truly heartbreaking every single day :(

Latest posts

Back