Oops litter. Colors of bunny offspring?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonika

Reaction score
My Netherland Dwarf doe accidentally got into the enclosure, met, and bred with my Mini Rex buck.
Oops!
My question is, what can I expect from her offspring? I know that they won’t have the plush Rex fur, but what can I expect type wise? How heavy will they get? And what colors will they turn out to be?(Netherland Dwarf doe is broken chocolate, Mini Rex buck is blue magpie)
Any info would be extremely helpful as I try to find homes in advance for the expected little ones. (I palpated the doe and she is indeed pregnant.)

To be honest, you could get all sorts of different coloured offspring, depending on the generations of the parents as well as the parents themselves. The only way you will be able to tell is when they enter the world! Besides, you wouldn’t be able to find proper homes in advance anyway because you never know whether the kits make it... Life is hard but I hope everything goes ok with your doe and babies, and please post pics and tell us details!

983B6D8B-3D7B-47B7-BC41-EACC623AEBC2.jpeg 2D9CF637-6EA5-4C0C-9C77-459798B233EB.jpeg 2F455DC1-86AD-46C1-A91C-9FCFB50E132E.jpeg This is my male (Vienna mark) and female (broken) and their first litter of 8 (they are much bigger now!) it’s interesting to see what colours rabbits turn out to be!:D

To be honest, you could get all sorts of different coloured offspring, depending on the generations of the parents as well as the parents themselves. The only way you will be able to tell is when they enter the world! Besides, you wouldn’t be able to find proper homes in advance anyway because you never know whether the kits make it... Life is hard but I hope everything goes ok with your doe and babies, and please post pics and tell us details!
Thanks for the info, I’ll make sure to post pics when they are born. I will be very interested in what they look like once the offspring mature!

Last edited:
This is what the doe and buck look like, I think it’s time I take some proper photos!

Attachments

• 65AF777D-64D5-446F-BC09-DD8BD37D606D.jpeg
    65AF777D-64D5-446F-BC09-DD8BD37D606D.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 49B42FD0-8AF2-4469-AA79-B1D2BCFEE375.jpeg
    49B42FD0-8AF2-4469-AA79-B1D2BCFEE375.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Wow they are STUNNERS! I’m sure their offspring will look beautiful!

She had a false pregnancy, so no babies this time around I’m afraid :/ I’m a bit inexperienced with palpating, so it was just the intestine I felt lol.

The buck is a bit immature, so that could have been the problem, but next spring I think I’m going to try to get a litter from them both just out of curiosity! :p

Depending in what's behind your broken black you will get more broken black. It's a Charlie though so I wouldn't recommend breeding it

@ladysown She is just a poorly marked broken chocolate, not a charlie, she’s had solid kits before. :)

Last edited:
Well I’ve had false pregnancy before too and it can be hard... but I guess you didn’t exactly plan your rabbit to get pregnant this time round anyway. Good luck for the future!

If, as you said in your other posts, that you cannot avoid a vet, I would strongly discourage you from breeding any of your rabbits. You never know when something can go wrong with a pregnancy or after a birth.

@Blue eyes i have been breeding rabbits for years with no problems. If it does come down to somthing very serious the vet is always an option, it’s just they are hard to find In my area, and I don’t have the funds to run to the vet all the time.

Latest posts

Back