Only dandruff...or mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green2Rabbits

Reaction score
Just bought my rabbit a few days ago and noticed dandruff. Doing some research I freaked and thought mites but now I'm not so sure.

She is maybe 8 months old and a Satin. I took pics I'll add. Why I think she only has dandruff is because she was kept in a barn in a cage without natural lite I think for her whole life.
The dandruff is also smaller than most videos I watched on youtube, there is no bald spot, when I pet her she is smooth without tangled hair or ruff under skin. I part the hair over the dandruff and the skin is white looking and the white specks don't move from what I see.
No excessive itching or biting. Her coat is shedding but the loose hair is evenly coming out over her body and best off all no plugs of skin at the end of the fur shaft.
However it looks to be unlikely for rabbits to get dandruff without mites....it appears. My dad visited and said maybe she just needs sun light to fix the simple dandruff and the dark barn or feed wasn't enough for her coat.
I purchased black oil sunflower seeds to add to her grain thinking it might help her coat.
Being almost all black should any mites look white and move when hair is parted? One YT video said you could see them "marching" up the shoulders. I parted above her tail and by her shoulders and in the middle of her back but don't see movement.
Sorry for the book just paranoid since several years back I brought a flea infestation into parents home that took months to win.
Thanks!
P.S. if you want a different angle or a specific area let me know I'll gladly take more pics. Some good pictures didn't load right.

Attachments

• 20200531_164952.jpg
    20200531_164952.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2020-05-31 19.51.40.jpg
    2020-05-31 19.51.40.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 2020-05-31 19.56.59.jpg
    2020-05-31 19.56.59.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 2020-05-31 19.58.25.jpg
    2020-05-31 19.58.25.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 12
I am a newer rabbit owner. Besides going to a vet to get an offical answer you could wipe her with a damp cloth to see if the flakes go away. You can take a nit comb available at many pharmacies and comb her out and inspect what is in her fur. You could take a magnifying glass or just look all over her skin to see if you can find mites. It is really hard to not know if she has mites. Since she was a barn rabbit it is quite likely she could have mites. I hope you find an answer.

Latest posts

Back