One vs Two bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeline752

Reaction score
Hello all I need some advice. I currently have a 13 week old holland lop buck. He is super sweet and will sit on my lap for an hour while I pet and rub his head. He does not seem depressed but he is a bit skiddish at times. I have an opportunity to get another 8 week old holland lop buck or doe and wondered what your thoughts were about one vs two bunnies. Is the bonding process just that a process?? I do not have an extra cage for the second bunny and think I would have to start them off in the extra cage correct? If I have two bunnies will my current bunny no longer like to snuggle with me? (silly question to ask I suppose but I really do like his affection). Just trying to think about how it would all work and I will have to say my husband is not thrilled about the idea of two. Between our dogs, a guinea pig and our rabbit I think he has had enough!

You would need to keep them separate until you can get them neutered. 2 bucks will usually fight (and can still fight after neutering) while a buck and doe will breed (but have a better chance of getting along after being neutered). Since your buck is 13 weeks, he could be able to breed now. Even if the other one is only 8 weeks, it will grow quickly and you can run the risk and breeding and/or fighting.
It would be better to wait until they both can be spayed or neutered before trying to bond them. Males can be done once the testicles drop, which means they are usually done around 4-5 months. Females can usually be done around 5-6 months. So it can be a bit of a wait.
While you can try letting them meet now, you will need to keep them separate and will need to completely separate them once the other rabbit is about 3 months old until both can be spayed or neutered. You can keep the cages close (but not too close that they could bite through the bars).

Also you need to know that it is never a guarantee that two rabbits will bond. You may get a second rabbit and be forced to keep them separate for the duration of their lives.

It truly depends on your lifestyle and your rabbit. I am choosing to get a friend for Pembrooke because I'm not there all the time. But do not worry that your bond with your rabbit will be broken! I've heard many a story of their rabbit becoming friendlier because the other rabbit showed that it was ok!
You will know what is right for you.
Jj:)

Bunnies are like potato chips, you just can't have just one. lol

There is no way to know if bunnies will bond. With younger ones, it can go smoothly but when they hit at 4 month mark, hormones set in. With males, they will fight for dominance. With females and males, well, you have to watch for babies.

Any bonding pair needs to be neutered/spayed. Until that time, it's always wise to house them separately and have supervised visits.

With all the pets in the house, your bunny will not lonely. And that's a good thing. Your husband might not want to go through the process it takes to really bond two bunnies. But that's ok too. He can always work, like yourself to bond to one bunny.

Like Jj says, it's depends on your lifestyle and what you want to accomplish with your bunnies. We all want to bond together. We would like to see two bunnies bond nicely. But it is a long process and you need to have the time and patience. Because bunnies DO fight and it's not pretty.

Really sit down with your husband and discuss all the ins and outs before bringing another bunny home. Believe me, it's always best to talk it out and make a plan.

Wishing you luck. One bunny is just as good as two, three, four, five, six or a dozen. Its whatever your plan is.

K:)

Paddy O'Hara hates other rabbits. My husband calls her bunnyzilla when they are around. She is so sweet with people and dogs but not other rabbits. This may be a good thing for me because I would start taking all of them home with me.

Paddy Ohara wrote:
Paddy O'Hara hates other rabbits. My husband calls her bunnyzilla when they are around. She is so sweet with people and dogs but not other rabbits. This may be a good thing for me because I would start taking all of them home with me.

Some rabbits are very possessive of their humans. Can accept other different animals but not another bunny. It happens.

Paddy O'Hara wants you all to yourself. What a sweetie.

Howdy :)
I think a really important point to consider is if you are willing to have 2 bunnies that will never be bonded. 2 cages, 2 separate run areas, 2 litter boxes, and so forth. Because that's exactly what can happen even after your best efforts. Then you are faced with housing them separately for the rest of their lives. It's what happened when I tried to bond my 2. Bt I'm fine with them being separate for life. They get what they need run wise, cage wise, etc.
Also I think you really should consider your husbands wishes if he is being reasonable. Any rescue will tell you that all members of the household need to be on board with a new pet. My hubby as politely asked me not to get another animal, one cat , 2 hermit crabs, and 2 bunnies is enough for him. I will respect his request.
Good luck!:biggrin:

I have two bonded pairs. Each pair has lost a partner over time so I have had 6 rabbits in total. I tried the "I pick out a rabbit and try to bond them" approach with the first pair. They never bonded and disliked each other until one recently passed. However, since then I learned to let the rabbits pick their own mates. Basically it is letting them marry for love rather than an arranged marriage.

With the 4 bondings I have done where they picked the mate it has been extremely simple. They date at the shelter and pick who they want. They go home in the same carrier. If they can't go home in the same carrier then it's not a match. Then they go right into their space and I observe. I've never had an issue, but they are also going into a room so there's lots of space for them to get used to each other rather than a cage where they can't get away.

Just my experience. I guess I prefer the lazy approach to bonding because I just want them to be happy, I don't care who they pick.

MiniLopHop wrote:
I have two bonded pairs. Each pair has lost a partner over time so I have had 6 rabbits in total. I tried the "I pick out a rabbit and try to bond them" approach with the first pair. They never bonded and disliked each other until one recently passed. However, since then I learned to let the rabbits pick their own mates. Basically it is letting them marry for love rather than an arranged marriage.

With the 4 bondings I have done where they picked the mate it has been extremely simple. They date at the shelter and pick who they want. They go home in the same carrier. If they can't go home in the same carrier then it's not a match. Then they go right into their space and I observe. I've never had an issue, but they are also going into a room so there's lots of space for them to get used to each other rather than a cage where they can't get away.

Just my experience. I guess I prefer the lazy approach to bonding because I just want them to be happy, I don't care who they pick.

I don't think it's a lazy approach at all. I never knew you could make a date for your bunny. What you brought to this forum with your experience will help others who want to rescue or bond their bunnies with another.

Rabbits are finicky and letting them choose is the best advise given.

I too love this approach to bonding! I have decided not to get another bunny friend at this time. I am going to get him fixed in the next couple of month and then later this summer I will think about the possiblity-- as well as talk with my husbsand more about it too. Right now I will see if Cooper warms up to the other pets in the household.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back