one of my buns just screamed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash Gordon

Reaction score
i was in my bedroom and i heard the most horrible sound ever..one of my buns was screaming!!..ive heard how terrible it is to hear this but ive never actually heard it til now!.i went flying into the living room where they are all housed in cages and i scared all of them so bad when i ran in that they bounced around inside their cages for a min...i pulled every one of them out and looked them over i cant find who screamed!!..dont they scream when they are in bad pain??..i dont know what to do i have 10 buns i cant find the screamer!!.geez any advice would be appreciated..or if anybody has heard their bun do this and they were still ok.,..

I think sometimes they do it if they're scared as well... at least the babies do.

I've had some kits scream while I just picked them up to look them over, Momma come running back to see what was up and just basically give a look like 'you idiot, she wont hurt you' and hop back to the front of the hutch.

Do you house any of them together?

Crystal they are all in individual cages so i know its not from another bun..and what sux is they were all crazy startled from either the scream or me barrelling into the room so i couldnt tell who was in distress..it was crazy...so uve heard it before from a bun that wasnt dying right?
Emily thats the only thing i thought could have happened im giving each one their out time right now so im checking over everybody really well...i dont wanna ever hear that sound again..wow.

The only time Miss Hoppy screamed was when she broke her leg - it was about the most awful sound ever, and a terrible break, and of course at 11:30 at night, so I now know where the 24-hour vet opportunities are near here.

im still looking over everybody..pet of the day thats what im worried about ,i heard that they only scream when they are in great pain or petrified....

I've heard cottontails that weren't actually being injured scream. If they get cornered or caught by something even if it's human hands being very careful they'll start screaming. I haven't heard a domestic rabbit scream though.

Elizabeth did that once when I was trying to pick her up to let her out. It did get all the other buns pretty wound up--she wasn't hurt, just didn't want me picking her up that day. Really thought it was strange and it's never happened since.

A rabbit scream is just awful. I swear you can feel it in your soul. I only heard it once and hope to never hear it again. It was when a rescued rabbit I was fostering went to the vet to have his severe ear mite infestation treated. The vet had to clean the ear out. He hit a pocket of pus and the rabbit started screaming. :tears2:

So a bunny doesn't have to be dieing. It can be from a sudden sharp pain. Either way, a rabbit scream is not good and done when the animal is in distress emotionally or physically. I hope everyone is okay it was just a bizarre incident.

thanks so much guys for all ur advice and thoughts on this...i know for a fact that nothing scared them to make that sound..it had to have been pain..cuz the scream got louder almost like they WERE caught in something..and the more they struggled the louder they got...I gotta tell u guys ive heard other animals that have been in pain before but ive NEVER heard anything so horrifying in my life..it made the hair on my arms stand up..ur right Erika its like u can feel it in ur soul..i instantly started shaking and tears came out with out me even knowing..and im pretty good with Emergency situations im norm pretty calm and get done what i need to get done..but that sound thru me for a loop.
..im still keeping an eye on all of em..and ive already gone 3 rounds of feeling all of them up ..the only thing that ive seen that worried me was a couple of my buns had longer nails then i like...maybe one of them got caught...i trimmed everybody while i had them out and was looking them over...ill keep u guys posted if i find anything...thanks again for being here when i need u.

Double check everyone's toes!

My older bun got her toe caught in between the shelf and wall of her NIC cage. She ended up breaking her toe trying to get it out.

I never actually heard the scream myself, but my mother did and she told me how terrible it was. I hope I never have to hear it. :(

I only heard a bunny scream once and that was my neherland dwarf, I was about 10 years old and he had free run of the house (he only ever stayed in the living room though where it was carpet) and my Mom brought home a begal (stupid us never even thought)and the dog chased my bunny as soon as she stepped foot in the house, he chased her right into a corner and Coco screamed, it was the most heartwrenching sound ever, I ran right over and screamed at the dog, grabbed Coco and headed to my room (he was fine BTW).

My Mom gave the dog back 2 days later (the reasons for doing this were a mile long).

It'san awful sound and I really hope you figure out who screamed, better yet, I hope whoever screamed is alright.

I hope everyone is ok. :( I've never had such an experience.Pls let us know any updates,Lisa. I hope all your babies are fine. :pray:

Rabbits will scream for a number of reasons...if they are startled, scared, in pain...I had it happen once with our domestics and once with a baby cottontail...it is a sound you will hear in your dreams forever! sheesh...really gets your heart going though! :D

When our domestic screamed it was because she got her foot caught...it wasn't really stuck...she just thought it was. No injury or anything...she just scared herself!
And then like you...I scared the jeebus out of them barrelling into the room like my butt was on fire! lol

Danielle :)

Flash I will also say that it is a sound you never want to hear again.

My experience w/ it was not a bun in pain, but a bun in distress. I had my first bun on a leash outside on the driveway. He got a food caught and started flopping around in the driveway and screaming.:shock: That's why I always say now I don't believe in the leashes. U never know. This was before I found this forum, and I've learned a ton. But, that was my exp. w/ screaming.
Was anyone breathing heavily when u checked? My guess is someone got spooked or caught on something.

yea danielle there was no tiptoeing into the room after i heard that sound come outta a bun!! hehe
Crys i couldnt tell who was breathing hard cuz they all just flew around their cages from me running in there and then they all"froze" i swear nobody moved for a full min...they all seemed to be breathing hard ...especially me...and it didnt help the scared sound that came outta my mouth..they know my voice i am their comfort person..whenever there is a loud noise or something startles them all i gotta say is "its ok ,its ok".and everybody settles down and relaxes instantly...well i didnt say that cuz everything WASNT ok so i KNOW they picked up on my panic voice instantly....im not sure what i said to them but it came out very shaky and unsure..its amazing how they pick up on ur feelings..
also i had a chance to inspect cages this weekend ,,i have such large cages for all of them that i can fit in all of them myself and im 5'8" so i climbed in em and redid some zipties that seemed sharp and redid a few that werent tight enough where maybe a foot cuda got caught on ...i got pretty scraped up doin this ..goes to show u how sharp some of their cages are inside...lets hope i never hear that sound come out of a bun ever again...

Ack rabbits screaming is just about the worst sound ever! One of my bunnies, Barnaby, screams when I take him outside. The first time he did it, I nearly had a heart attack myself! Needless to say, I never take him outside. If he needs to go to the vet or anything, I take him out of the apartment in a covered carrier.

I just had a little doe do a short scream. We were introducing her to some bigger does (we are keeping all the does in a 12x24' horse stall) and a doe hopped up to sniff her. I guess she panicked and made a short scream before running off. She was not injured at all and is now settling in to her new life without cages. I've found most rabbits don't know what to do when given a large colony type area to live. They are used to individual cages where they have a set amount of space that is theirs and no one can enter. So even if the other rabbit has no intention to harm them they sometimes panic for the first day.

Latest posts

Back