One bunny is humping the other, need help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessCeeney

Reaction score
So basically, my bunnies are free roam in my room, which works great but I'm having problems at night because they wake me up and are eating my hair! I've got a large hutch in my room in which they have their litter tray. I really want them to go in there while I sleep, however my boy tries to hump my girl in more confined spaces as he thinks he has a shot. She HATES it and they fight, and I mean proper fighting such as circling and etc, fur flying all over the place. I need him to stop doing that, please help.

Do you have both bunnies neutered already? Our excessive mounting problem was only resolved when both were neutered. In the meantime you may want to consider separate accommodation until you get to the bottom of it as that sounds like it’s causing quite aggressive behaviour. If the fighting gets too bad either one could be injured and it will be very difficult if not impossible to repair there relationship. This happened with two brothers we adopted :(

Do you have both bunnies neutered already? Our excessive mounting problem was only resolved when both were neutered. In the meantime you may want to consider separate accommodation until you get to the bottom of it as that sounds like it’s causing quite aggressive behaviour. If the fighting gets too bad either one could be injured and it will be very difficult if not impossible to repair there relationship. This happened with two brothers we adopted :(

Yes both are neutered. The fighting doesn't happen unless I put them in the hutch. :/

Yes both are neutered. The fighting doesn't happen unless I put them in the hutch. :/
How about you remove the hutch , if it is causing conflict , maybe the one thatch starting the fight considers it their teritory

Oh that’s unfortunate, have they always lived in the hutch together, there is no chance that the male could be territorial over it?

We have a neutered buck and spayed female from the same litter. He was neutered over a year ago and at times he still chases and still tries to hump his sister; the hormones should have been long gone. Much of the time he behaves and the two snuggle together; but, whenever he starts acting up we must separate them. We've used a squirt bottle on hims with a firm "No!" and he will stop, momentarily. Now, the squirt bottle is unnecessary and a simple "No!" will stop him, for a few seconds. He knows the meaning of the word "No."

The only thing that works for us is to keep them in separate rooms (they roam free) during the night. That is the only way we can make sure the doe gets to eat as she should. She has gone into GI stasis twice because he wasn't letting her eat enough hay. (Luckily, we got her to snap out of it, both times.)

For us, it boils down to this: For our doe's well being and good health she needs to spend her nights alone.

Latest posts

Back