OMG OMG... BABIES

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilabunt

Reaction score
so it seems we are now the proud parents of 7.. possibly more dont want to disturb the nest yet.... babies. they are mini lop/ blanc du hotot cross. we are new to babies and it was unexpected as our lop has built nests since she was 6 months old and she didnt change in size lol. any new parenting help is greatly appreciated. so far we have not tampered with the nest.. only oberserved and tried to count... made the living space extra clean and made sure the momma has lots of fresh water hay veggies and whatever else is her favourite. she has no problem with us being near the nest... actually she hasnt changed at all lol. just the basics will help for now.. ie the how to observe/take care of carfully, age when we should start introducing ourselfs to the babies and anything special our mama bun could need. i will post pics as they get bigger as they were only born yesterday. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BABIES:biggrin:

You can touch/hold the babies now! and for mum just feed her lots more food!
Mum will only feed babies once or twice a day usually early hours of the morning so dont worry if you never see her feeding them as long as they all have round bellies and are warm then mum is doing it right... GOOD LUCK! :D

Congrats!

You can def start examining them now! You want to check and make sure there arent any dead ones. I would take a good count so you know how many you need to be observing.

You dont really need to worry much if mom is doing her job, she handles the rest :)

PICTURES! WE NEED PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awww... love new babies. Of course, they kind of remind me of some sort of internal organ when they are born. LOL

We handled both of our litters right away but both were surprises born in the litter box and therefore had to be moved right away. I always just rubbed a little of mama's fur on my hands as a precaution. I read later that it wasn't even necessary to do so but it kept them smelling like mom instead of like me. :)

it definitly sucks for me as im at school 5 days a week right now. i havent even got to see my new babies yet. i do know that yesterday one decided to escape out of the xpen(thats been taken care of) so we are definitely going to have our hands full soon. at what age is it best to sex them?

Congrats on the babies. I handle ours as soon as they are born and at least every day once a day. I always give mom a rub before going in the nest. Some moms can see it as a threat and lunge to save their little ones.

I am able to tell at 3-4 weeks what sex some people are able to tell on day 1 and that I am jealous of and what I hope to get to. It can be difficult for new baby parents. Heres a video that helped me
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKM6a7Ym6B0&list=UUNEBVJqAOuh3HM4V4zd2Ulw&index=209&feature=plcp[/ame]

My kits are about to be 3 weeks on Sunday. Yesterday I attempted to see what sexes they were and by golly I think I got it LOL! If i'm right, I have 2 does and a buck!

I was spot on with Bugsy and Oreo so i hope I am with these little ones.

No pictures? :(

here they are.. still pinkish lol
7babies.jpg

and this is CJ.. it feels like hes a boy... he was the one that escaped the cage the day after he was born. a little houdini
cj.jpg

i plan on keeping CJ, and im not sure which one my much better half is going to keep so we will be selling 5 of them (to approved owners only) so if anyone near the okanagan in bc is interested let me know. just a reminder they are Blanc du Hotot/ Mini-lop cross. :D:D im a happy dad!! or i guess they would be my grand children lol

Latest posts

Back