OMG Need help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatever4andnomore

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and discovered that SunDancer had KITS! 5 of them! (sadly one didn't make it,and one of them was cold) Thankfully we put fleece in their cages as we didn't expect this and she didn't have a nest box. I found one actually outside of the cage. It was cold, so I quickly put warm water in a zip lock bag and put a towel over that. I placed all 4 live babies on that towel/water bag and put that in a card board box filled with hay. They all seem pretty lively......and one is jet black! (wonder who the father is huh Black Jack?) I guess he got to her before he was neutered!

I didn't think rabbits could have kits so early in life. She was only 6 months old on the 28th! Yikes! She had them pretty early! But she seems to be a good mother already. She is grooming them. I am just worried if she is nursing them and if they need any intervention. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

By tomorrow morning she should have nursed them. They only nurse 1-2 times/day. Is the box big enough for the mom to get in and turn around? Did she pull any fur? They will stay warm in the hay if they're surrounded by some of mom's fur. I'm not clear if they're inside or outside though. Just watch them for now and keep them together. You'll know they're fed by their full bellies.

Oh wow. Didn't you just go to a show with your rabbits and had them judged? If so no one spotted that? Heh, well either way you traded in one bad experience for a good one. I envy you, you get the chance to see these little ones grow up, and who knows maybe one of the kits will be a future show bunny!

Yes, we just went to the rabbit show on Sunday, and they were born sometime during that night! We didn't have them offically judged per say, but all the mini rex breeders there looked them over and showed us all the tips and gave us helpful suggestions. yeah, that was quite a suprise yesterday! I never expected that! I didn't realize she could get pregnant at 5months of age and have kits at 6months. I called the vet I took Black Jack to get neutered, and the doctor told me she did the math.............that he must have gotten to her JUST before he got the snip! LOL! She also gave me some good guidelines about the babies. So far, they are doing well. I was worried about the little black one, his tummy wasn't plump this morning like the other 3. I worried that he didn't get much time to nurse, so I took mom out of her cage to pet her, and gave lil guy a chance to nurse without the others. Mom was cool with that arrangement and even gave me kisses. (she really is the sweetest rabbit!) After that, he had a nice plump tummy like the others. Also, they are VERY active and squirmy! They are always moving! I am asuming that is a good thing!

Y I didn't realize she could get pregnant at 5months of age and have kits at 6months. I called the vet I took Black Jack to get neutered, and the doctor told me she did the math.............that he must have gotten to her JUST before he got the snip!

That is exactly how it happened for us as well. Almost 4 weeks to the day, and PattyCake was a Momma!

babybunnies.jpg

I am so sad to say....that I came home from work today to find that 3 of the babies died. Only one survived, the lil black one. Not sure what happened, other than they were really cold. The black one was pretty cold too, but I got him warm and he nursed. He seems to be ok. I feel so let down now! I hope this lil guy makes it!

Were they actually dead? We're the toe quicks red or brown that's means their dead if it's clwar they're still alive you just have to warm them up.

Until kits get a coat of fur they are very sensitive to temps. It's important to have them in a box with plenty of bedding and mom's fur.

no they were gone. They were cold, stiff, and motionless. I tried warming them. They had also stopped breathing. We are so sad. But I am glad one is still alive...........that one seems to be doing well. He is in the box with some hay, a towel, and I stuffed a fuzzy sock with some fleece scraps to have something warm when mom isnt feeding him.

We lost the last baby this evening. Not sure what happened other than he was struggling for breath. He was so playful and vigorous this morning and even when I came home from work tonight. I am just so sad. Hopefully we will have better success later on. My daughter is taking it rather hard right now, which is to be expected. I guess this is part of the life lessons one learns while raising animals.

Anyone else loose an entire litter of kits before?

Latest posts

Back